Author Topic: Red Summer of 1919: How Black WWI Vets Fought Back Against Racist Mobs  (Read 2226 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
History.com by Abigail Higgins 7/26/2019

When dozens of brutal race riots erupted across the U.S. in the wake of World War I and the Great Migration, black veterans stepped up to defend their communities against white violence.

The ink had barely dried on the Treaty of Versailles, which formally ended World War I, when recently returned black veterans grabbed their guns and stationed themselves on rooftops in black neighborhoods in Washington D.C., prepared to act as snipers in the case of mob violence in July of 1919. Others set up blockades around Howard University, a black intellectual hub, creating a protective ring around residents.

White sailors recently home from the war had been on a days-long drunken rampage, assaulting, and in some cases lynching, black people on the capitol’s streets. The relentless onslaught proved contagious, escalating in dozens of cities across the U.S. in what would become known as the The Red Summer.

The racist attacks in 1919 were widespread, and often indiscriminate, but in many places, they were initiated by white servicemen and centered upon the 380,000 black veterans who had just returned from the war. “Because of their military service, black veterans were seen as a particular threat to Jim Crow and racial subordination,” notes a report by the Equal Justice Initiative.

Indeed, many African American soldiers returned from the war armed with a renewed determination to fight segregation and a near-constant barrage of brutality.

A postal official wrote at the time that “As far back as the first movement of the American troops to France the negro publicists began to avail themselves of the argument that since the negro was fit to wear the uniform he was, therefore, fit for everything else.” In Texas, a federal agent reported, “One of the principal elements causing concern is the returned negro soldier who is not readily fitting back into his prior status of pre-war times.”

At the same time, cities across the north were being reshaped by the Great Migration. By the end of 1919, about 1 million African Americans had fled segregation and a total lack of economic opportunities in the south for northern cities. Between 1910 and 1920, the black population in Chicago grew by 148 percent and in Philadelphia by 500 percent, creating massive anxiety among white people in northern cities that black people were taking jobs, housing, and security from them.

During the Red Summer, massive anxiety became mass violence. Between April and November of 1919, there would be approximately 25 riots and instances of mob violence, 97 recorded lynchings, and a three day long massacre in Elaine, Arkansas during which over 200 black men, women, and children were killed after black sharecroppers tried to organize for better working conditions. The Ku Klux Klan, which had been largely shut down by the government after the Civil War, experienced a resurgence in popularity and began carrying out dozens of lynchings across the south.

Just a few years earlier, many young black men had heeded Wilson’s call to make the world “safe for democracy” and gone off to fight for America in one of history’s bloodiest wars. Now they had come back to a country that recognized neither their service nor their humanity. Having just returned from battle, however, black veterans were not inclined to take the abuse lying down. Across the country, former soldiers used their government-provided weapons training to defend their neighborhoods against vicious white mobs.

“Black people [formed] ad hoc self-defense organizations to try to keep white folks from terrorizing their communities,” says Simon Balto, a Professor of African American History at The University of Iowa and author of Occupied Territory: Policing Black Chicago from Red Summer to Black Power. “Black veterans are instrumental in that.”

Black veterans were a large part of what made the summer of 1919, in the words of historian David F. Krugler, the year that African Americans fought back.

“This is the country to which we Soldiers of Democracy return. This is the fatherland for which we fought!” W.E.B DuBois, a civil rights activist and prominent intellectual, wrote in Crisis Magazine in May 1919, a month after the earliest event of the Red Summer, a riot in Georgia where six people—two white officers and four black men—were killed at a church. "But by the God of Heaven, we are cowards and jackasses if now that that war is over, we do not marshal every ounce of our brain and brawn to fight a sterner, longer, more unbending battle against the forces of hell in our own land.”

More :https://www.history.com/news/red-summer-1919-riots-chicago-dc-great-migration

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
History.com by Abigail Higgins 7/26/2019

When dozens of brutal race riots erupted across the U.S. in the wake of World War I and the Great Migration, black veterans stepped up to defend their communities against white violence.

former soldiers used their government-provided weapons training to defend their neighborhoods against vicious white mobs.

“url=https://www.history.com/news/red-summer-1919-riots-chicago-dc-great-migration]https://www.history.com/news/red-summer-1919-riots-chicago-dc-great-migration[/url]
Fascinating. Nevver heard this.Question: Did WWI servicement typically keep their firearm when they mustered our--were discharged?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

It doesn't get much mention, but there was a LOT of anti-German @#$% in the US during WW1 and anti-German and anti-Italian @#$% during WW2. I had not heard of this, but that after 6 or 7 years of the racist Wilson Administration there would be anti-black @#$% happening does not surprise me. Nor that it, hypocritically, happened after the Wilson Administration had asked blacks to participate in the military.

To give a little personal chronological context, my Dad was probably just entering 1st Grade when this was taking place. His parents were Volga Germans who had fled Russia over a decade earlier. The local schools he and my Mom attended (same area of CA, but they didn't meet until much later) were integrated and probably had never been otherwise.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline dfwgator

All due to Woodrow Wilson, the most racist President we ever had.

Offline truth_seeker

To give a little personal chronological context, my Dad was probably just entering 1st Grade when this was taking place. His parents were Volga Germans who had fled Russia over a decade earlier. The local schools he and my Mom attended (same area of CA, but they didn't meet until much later) were integrated and probably had never been otherwise.

My wife's paternal grandparents came from Apulia Italy, in the early 1900s, separately.

They both had NorCal and SoCal relatives, then and still do now.

They settled in LostAngeles and had four sone, two of whom served during WWII. My FIL served in the US army in Germany, as troops headed east across Germany.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fascinating. Nevver heard this.Question: Did WWI servicement typically keep their firearm when they mustered our--were discharged?
@truth_seeker

I don't believe they were allowed to keep their weapons, but if it was anything like after WWII there would have been Govt run Army-Navy stores selling firearms really cheap. I remember going to the Army-Navy stores in the 50's seeing riffles stacked up like cord wood. Both U.S. and foreign guns.

Offline truth_seeker

@truth_seeker

I don't believe they were allowed to keep their weapons, but if it was anything like after WWII there would have been Govt run Army-Navy stores selling firearms really cheap. I remember going to the Army-Navy stores in the 50's seeing riffles stacked up like cord wood. Both U.S. and foreign guns.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it was evver difficult to get firearms in America.

I was merely surprised to readthat the soldier was taking his weapon home with him atwars end.

Any way the article and episode in history is intereresting. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't remember ever reading about this either. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@truth_seeker

There should have been a host of Enfields and Springfields out there, even some Ross rifles (Canadian straight pull action and not so popular in the trenches).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
There was the first Red Scare, what I didn't know was something I stumbled on the only past few days, I"m not positive if it is true, just saying:
Mexican Americans saw own racial terror before 'Red Summer'

RUSSELL CONTRERAS and CEDAR ATTANASIO Jul 26, 2019

https://www.phillytrib.com/news/across_america/mexican-americans-saw-own-racial-terror-before-red-summer/article_82cef9b1-272f-5a0b-9e5c-68e1d2f8827d.html

Porvenir Massacre:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porvenir_Massacre_(1918)

List of incidences of unrest in USA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

Riots and so on, there was even an incident in San Francisco where a bomb was thrown at a parade causing some fatalities.  I think that is 1916 on the list, "Preparedness Day".

May day, 1919, a lot of disturbances that day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@truth_seeker

I THINK they were,but if they weren't given them,they were allowed to buy them as used guns for just a couple of dollars. IIRC,you could buy a new 03 Springfield at the time for something like $19.95 from Sears.

Hell,I remember bugging my parents to buy me a arsenal rebuild 03 back when they were selling for $12.95 including shipping via the post office,and this was around 1959,when a dollar didn't buy as much as it did in 1919.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it was evver difficult to get firearms in America.

I was merely surprised to readthat the soldier was taking his weapon home with him atwars end.

Any way the article and episode in history is intereresting.

@truth_seeker

I am almost positive WW-1 soldiers could keep their rifles if they wanted. I do know it was common in all US wars before that one. They MAY have had to buy them for scrap price,though. The thinking behind this was two-fold:

1: The war is over and we are cutting back the size of the military,so we don't need those rifles and we don't want to store or count them because both take manpower and cost money.

I don't remember the details,but it seems to me like every WW-2 soldier I knew growing up had a Garand or a M-1 carbine in his closet.

Remember,back in those days it was criminals that were demonized,not guns or gun owners.

2: The Second Amendment. Who better to have free access to military grade rifles than US Soldiers who had just fought a war with them to protect America?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!