Author Topic: Snopes Plays Satire Police, Slams Babylon Bee for Joke About Erica Thomas and Chick-fil-A  (Read 618 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Snopes Plays Satire Police, Slams Babylon Bee for Joke About Erica Thomas and Chick-fil-A

Over the weekend, Democrat Georgia State Rep. Erica Thomas caused a stir by claiming a "white man" yelled at her, telling her to "go back" to where she came from. Yet the man she accused, a Cuban Democrat, told her no such thing, and she eventually admitted that. In fact, an eyewitness told police that Thomas herself repeatedly told him to "go back where you came from." As it turns out, Thomas was the aggressor and the poor Cuban Democrat was demonized because he had the gall to tell her not to take 20 items in the 10-item express lane at Publix.

Sounds like excellent material for satire, right? Especially in an era where liberal media outlets  like The New York Times rush to embrace any suggestion that Trump's America is a hotbed of hatred and racism. The magnificent satire site The Babylon Bee decided to bite, and gave it a hilarious twist.

"Georgia Lawmaker Claims Chick-Fil-A Employee Told Her To Go Back To Her Country, Later Clarifies He Actually Said 'My Pleasure,'" the satire headline ran. The story is hilarious. ...
Yet some liberal "fact-checkers" weren't having it. Snopes went full Social Justice Warrior by condemning the post as somehow less than satire.

"We're not sure if fanning the flames of controversy and muddying the details of a news story classify an article as 'satire,'" Snopes' Dan Evon wrote.

Apparently blind to the humor and the fact that The Babylon Bee identifies itself as "fake news" and satire, Snopes decided to fact-check the article, rating it "false." Um... yes. And your point is?

The point is, mocking a lying liberal is offensive. ...

"While this real-world incident stirred up a good amount of online anger, it wasn’t quite outrageous enough for the entertainment website Babylon Bee. In an apparent attempt to maximize the online indignation, this website published a fictionalized version of the story, changing the location to Chick-Fil-A, a fast-food restaurant known for its CEO’s opposition to same-sex marriage," Evon wrote.

Snopes has a well-earned rep among conservatives for being reliably Lib/Prog. Defending a false accuser who happens to be a Dem from well-earned satire is probably not a good way of rehabilitating Snopes' rep.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

Snopes Plays Satire Police, Slams Babylon Bee for Joke About Erica Thomas and Chick-fil-A

Snopes has a well-earned rep among conservatives for being reliably Lib/Prog. Defending a false accuser who happens to be a Dem from well-earned satire is probably not a good way of rehabilitating Snopes' rep.

I dunno, Pete.  I have found Snopes to be reliable for debunking a pile of conspiracy theories subscribed to by people who claim to be conservative.  I think that may be where Snopes gets their bad rep.  Because they have debunked so many  of the tall tales alleged conservatives believe, Snopes is now part of its own conspiracy theory -- that it is an agent for liberals.  Does Snopes get things wrong?  Sure it does from time to time.  But I don't think it's the enemy of conservatives as some claim.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I dunno, Pete.  I have found Snopes to be reliable for debunking a pile of conspiracy theories subscribed to by people who claim to be conservative.  I think that may be where Snopes gets their bad rep.  Because they have debunked so many  of the tall tales alleged conservatives believe, Snopes is now part of its own conspiracy theory -- that it is an agent for liberals.  Does Snopes get things wrong?  Sure it does from time to time.  But I don't think it's the enemy of conservatives as some claim.
There are far worse ones out there when it comes to fact-checking... and whether or not they're wrong is usually pretty easy to trace with a cursory Web search.

On the other hand, Politifact is so far to the left they're worthless, for example.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

Because they have debunked so many  of the tall tales alleged conservatives believe, Snopes is now part of its own conspiracy theory -- that it is an agent for liberals.

Is that your CT? wink777

Snopes isn't the most biased "fact-checker" but it is biased. They do debunk some hoaxes popular among Libs and Progs, and I occasionally have fun with that. When the hoax is one popular among conservatives I use TruthorFiction.com. To some degree I'm a non-partisan POer. :cool:

Back to the particulars of the OP article, this isn't the first time Snopes has "debunked" a Babylon Bee satire piece when the object of the satire was a Lib/Prog/Dem. Why Snopes thinks a Satire Site merits debunking, I don't understand.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Next on Snopes debunking agenda...fact checking the stories at Duffelblog.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

Is that your CT? wink777

Snopes isn't the most biased "fact-checker" but it is biased. They do debunk some hoaxes popular among Libs and Progs, and I occasionally have fun with that. When the hoax is one popular among conservatives I use TruthorFiction.com. To some degree I'm a non-partisan POer. :cool:

Back to the particulars of the OP article, this isn't the first time Snopes has "debunked" a Babylon Bee satire piece when the object of the satire was a Lib/Prog/Dem. Why Snopes thinks a Satire Site merits debunking, I don't understand.

Seems to me Snopes wasn't debunking as much as it was chastising the Bee for "fanning the flames."  Or something.

As to Snopes' biases -- I believe all fact checkers are biased merely because they are all human and we all have some biases.  While I'm sure most fact checkers try to leave their personal beliefs and prejudices at the door, some of those things are bound to creep in when they fact check.  I believe Snopes has tried to be non-partisan, unlike a number of fact checking services run by obviously partisan individuals and entities. 

I believe Snopes gets a bad rep from a number of conservatives because it may have debunked some myth(s) those conservatives desperately wanted to believe.  For example, all those "suspicious" deaths linked to the alleged 'Clinton Crime Family."  Not everyone who dies suddenly in Arkansas, New York or DC does so at the hand of the Clintons.   Do I think the Clintons are as pure as the driven snow?  Oh hell no.  But I don't think they are responsible for everyone who dies unexpectedly.  Snopes and more reputable fact checkers do a good service trying to put these bogus stories to rest.    Unfortunately, there are so many out there who will ignore the facts and still believe the myth -- all because they don't trust Snopes or anyone else who tells them the myth is not true.

And I'll bet there are liberals who don't like Snopes because it may have debunked some myth about Trump or someone else they don't like.

Offline PeteS in CA

Seems to me Snopes wasn't debunking as much as it was chastising the Bee for "fanning the flames."  Or something.

How is mocking a Hate-Slanderer "fanning the flames"? If that is Snopes "standard" and they are non-partisan, where are Snopes' many gigabytes of posts "chastising" just about every late show "comedian" and 3/4 of Hollyweird for "fanning the flames" of Trump Hatred?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Truth...?
Snopes...?

Nopes...!!