Author Topic: Heart disease is the price of becoming human, UCSD study finds  (Read 638 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

A study from UCSD scientists reports finding a reason why cardiovascular disease is the single biggest killer of men and women alike. It's a mutation that occurred millions of years ago in our prehuman ancestors.

The mutation blocked production of a cellular signaling molecule used by other animals, including ape cousins. Humanity's vulnerability to heart disease appears to be linked both to the absence of this molecule in people and consumption of red meat, which contains it.

Because this molecule is nonhuman, it causes an immune reaction that raises the risk of heart attacks, the authors state. Moreover, its absence alone may increase the risk compared to chimpanzees, humanity's closest relative.

https://www.mcall.com/sialic-acid-heart-disease-story.html

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Heart disease is the price of becoming human, UCSD study finds
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:09:18 am »
I predict DNA science will move remarkably fast to learn the "coding" pertaining to health and well being.

Hopefully soon they will unlock and fix the reason for red meat contributing to cardiovascular problems.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Heart disease is the price of becoming human, UCSD study finds
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:39:03 am »
Heart attacks run in my mom’s side of the family. All my great aunts and uncles died from heart attacks on her side except one great uncle and his wife who were killed in a car accident.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️