Author Topic: Trigonometry over tattoos: Why educating our enlisted troops is paramount  (Read 597 times)

rangerrebew

Trigonometry over tattoos: Why educating our enlisted troops is paramount

By Steve Cohen, opinion contributor — 07/19/19 11:00 AM EDT

“I feel like Jimmy Stewart in ‘Rear Window.’”

My son, an infantry Marine, texted this to me from an undisclosed location in the Middle East. We both loved Hitchcock’s film, in which Jimmy Stewart played a photographer laid up in his Greenwich Village apartment with a broken leg who becomes convinced that the neighbor across the backyard must have murdered his wife.

“Are you watching suspicious things happening?” I texted back.

His answer gave me a new perspective on his job: “Or seeing things that aren’t anything at all, but making them suspicious.” He complimented me on my parenting skill of making him watch classic movies. And then he went silent.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/453413-trigonometry-over-tattoos-why-educating-our-enlisted-troops-is

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Interesting article.  So, the Military is like the Civilian world:  College gets all the attention and funding, while VocEd gets ignored and even denigrated.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

An observation on education.
In the 12th cent, Bernard of Chartres, who lived through the zenith of Scholasticism, asserted:
"We are mere dwarfs who are able to see as far as we do, only because we can stand on the massive shoulders of the Giants of Antiquity."
Reflect a moment on the following astonishing reality.
Those Giants were self-taught as our structured education system is a fad born of the Enlightenment!!!
From the Cradle of Civilization in the Fertile Crescent to the Enlightenment, almost 9000 years passed
during which time, Man was self-taught, self-disciplined and self-reliant.
Yet imagine how deprived they were w/o all our modern gadgets, toys and things, the poor dears.
But our heralds insist we are the greatest!!! Why of course; just look at out leadership, worldwide!!!

Bill Cipher

An observation on education.
In the 12th cent, Bernard of Chartres, who lived through the zenith of Scholasticism, asserted:
"We are mere dwarfs who are able to see as far as we do, only because we can stand on the massive shoulders of the Giants of Antiquity."
Reflect a moment on the following astonishing reality.
Those Giants were self-taught as our structured education system is a fad born of the Enlightenment!!!
From the Cradle of Civilization in the Fertile Crescent to the Enlightenment, almost 9000 years passed
during which time, Man was self-taught, self-disciplined and self-reliant.
Yet imagine how deprived they were w/o all our modern gadgets, toys and things, the poor dears.
But our heralds insist we are the greatest!!! Why of course; just look at out leadership, worldwide!!!

They aren’t self-taught. They all had tutors and an elite educational system.   

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Go ahead and laugh, I suppose.

But, there is proof all around the world that ancient civilizations traveled in the air...or a higher intelligence provided the know-how.

But, you're right.  No matter if other terrestrials or extra-terrestrials gave us the knowledge...it had to trickle down to the common man somehow.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Absalom

--------------------------------
Since it's opinion forum, all are entitled; yet opinions need to reflect reality.
From Socrates to Hypatia, the Ancients learned thru examination, introspection and testing,
be it philosophy or science. There was NO structured system in place as their core "teacher"
was the Natural Law birthed w/Mankind, which they uncovered through deductive/inductive logic.
Your assertions/rants are absurd, embarrassing and ridiculous.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Go ahead and laugh, I suppose.

But, there is proof all around the world that ancient civilizations traveled in the air...or a higher intelligence provided the know-how.

But, you're right.  No matter if other terrestrials or extra-terrestrials gave us the knowledge...it had to trickle down to the common man somehow.

(Sorry, old friend!  I couldn't resist!   :police: )
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
--------------------------------
Since it's opinion forum, all are entitled; yet opinions need to reflect reality.
From Socrates to Hypatia, the Ancients learned thru examination, introspection and testing,
be it philosophy or science. There was NO structured system in place as their core "teacher"
was the Natural Law birthed w/Mankind, which they uncovered through deductive/inductive logic.
Your assertions/rants are absurd, embarrassing and ridiculous.   

Not at all, @Absalom.

Even the ancient "greats" rested upon the shoulders of more ancient giants.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Not at all, @Absalom.

It does seem silly to expect the great early Scientists and Philosophers to have learnt everything from scratch.  After all, somebody taught them to speak....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

Not at all, @Absalom.
-----------------------------
How profound. Who knew??????????????????

Offline Absalom

It does seem silly to expect the great early Scientists and Philosophers to have learnt everything from scratch.  After all, somebody taught them to speak....
--------------------------------------
Er.................who said they learned everything from scratch???
I re-affirm that they were self-taught, meaning they, not some
system, were the instruments/triggers of their creative genius.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
-----------------------------
How profound. Who knew??????????????????

Yeah, I remembered that you had posted it earlier.    :laugh: