Author Topic: Ted Cruz pushes back on judge nominee with bad religious liberty record  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Ted Cruz pushes back on judge nominee with bad religious liberty record
Chris Pandolfo · July 17, 2019   

On Wednesday during the confirmation hearing for Fifth Circuit nominee Judge Sul Ozerden, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, announced he has “significant concerns” over Ozerden’s constitutionalist credentials.

President Donald Trump nominated Ozerden, a Mississippi judge, in June at the urging of his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, according to Politico. Several conservatives have sounded the alarm on Ozerden, calling for the president to nominate a more conservative judge. Cruz’s comments echo the complaints of those conservatives.

“Looking at your record, as you know I’ve got significant concerns because I don’t see any positive substantive evidence of a judicial record that frankly we need strong constitutionalists on the Fifth Circuit,” Cruz said.

Cruz grilled Ozerden on his record, in particular about a religious liberty case challenging Obamacare’s contraceptive mandate, in which Ozerden denied a Catholic diocese’s motion for oral argument and dismissed the case.

The Daily Wire’s Josh Hammer blasted the decision in a long article criticizing Ozerden as a “weak” choice and urging the president to choose someone else.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/ted-cruz-pushes-back-judge-nominee-bad-religious-liberty-record/

I don't trust Mulvaney or his opinion as far as I can throw him.  I really soured on him when he wanted to negotiate wall funding down to 1.3 Billion.

About Mick Mulvaney

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2016/02/14/pro-amnesty-mick-mulvaney-immigration-important-issue-south-carolina-voters/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:24:52 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Judge Ozerden:
The Wrong Pick

Right now, establishment politicians are pressuring President Trump and the U.S. Senate to confirm Judge Sul Ozerden from Mississippi to be a federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
But confirming Ozerden for a lifetime judicial appointment would be a big mistake. His past decisions reveal a questionable judicial philosophy that is at best indifferent to religious liberty—and at times openly hostile to religious liberty.

His background includes ignoring 79 members of Congress in an important religious liberty matter, ignoring a prior decision in favor of religious liberty on the same issue, and ruling against the Catholic Church without even allowing the Church to have a hearing in court.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Here are 5 more reasons why Judge Sul Ozerden is the wrong pick:

He’s not a judicial conservative.
He’s never been affiliated with the conservative movement.
He’s never volunteered his time to advance conservative causes.
He’s never been active in conservative legal circles.
He’s never written any decisions that have advanced conservative judicial principles.
The record is clear: Judge Ozerden is not a trustworthy protector of religious liberty.

https://firstliberty.org/just-say-no/

https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/21/judge-ozerden-against-president/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:34:13 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

This does not sound like winning.  I trust Cruz that and this guy should be scrutinized and rejected if he poses a danger to Conservative values.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This does not sound like winning.  I trust Cruz that and this guy should be scrutinized and rejected if he poses a danger to Conservative values.

IT's not winning...but I'd be willing to bet Trump throws his full support behind the guy anyway.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Judge Ozerden:
The Wrong Pick

Right now, establishment politicians are pressuring President Trump and the U.S. Senate to confirm Judge Sul Ozerden from Mississippi to be a federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
But confirming Ozerden for a lifetime judicial appointment would be a big mistake. His past decisions reveal a questionable judicial philosophy that is at best indifferent to religious liberty—and at times openly hostile to religious liberty.

@Chosen Daughter

There is TOO MUCH "religious liberty" in America. IF we are to maintain our freedoms and our nation,we MUST ban Islam as an official religion in America. Islam is opposed to EVERY single freedom guaranteed by our Constitution,and can fairly said to be an enemy of not only America,but all free nations.

In fact,in MY NSHO,a solid case can be made that Islam isn't even a religion,it's a political movement.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Chosen Daughter

There is TOO MUCH "religious liberty" in America. IF we are to maintain our freedoms and our nation,we MUST ban Islam as an official religion in America. Islam is opposed to EVERY single freedom guaranteed by our Constitution,and can fairly said to be an enemy of not only America,but all free nations.

In fact,in MY NSHO,a solid case can be made that Islam isn't even a religion,it's a political movement.

Thank goodness the Founding Fathers and the Framers didn't have your worldview.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@txradioguy

Many did,but they were victims of their time,and back then you could go to jail for denying the existence of God.

Good to know you approve of Islam,though.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@txradioguy

Many did,but they were victims of their time,and back then you could go to jail for denying the existence of God.

Good to know you approve of Islam,though.

How do you get from what TRG said to this?  That's like 2+4=6 therefore the sun will not come up tomorrow.   :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How do you get from what TRG said to this?  That's like 2+4=6 therefore the sun will not come up tomorrow.   :shrug:

@Sanguine

Did he not say that no religion should be banned,in response to my statement that Islam should be banned in the US?

Of course I stake out my claim that Islam is not a religion,but a form of government,but he said it was a religion and protected.

IMHO,you can believe any damn-fool thing you want to believe,as long as you are not harming anyone but yourself. When you start trying to use the power of government to enforce your religious dictates,you have gone too far.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Sanguine

Did he not say that no religion should be banned,in response to my statement that Islam should be banned in the US?

Of course I stake out my claim that Islam is not a religion,but a form of government,but he said it was a religion and protected.

IMHO,you can believe any damn-fool thing you want to believe,as long as you are not harming anyone but yourself. When you start trying to use the power of government to enforce your religious dictates,you have gone too far.
You don't have to ban the religion to just not accept nonchristian immigrants from their countries, and those for reasons of being refugees, as any Christian fleeing a Muslim nation is.

Why? no Muslim can swear this oath:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

...and remain faithful to their religion, which requires fealty to Sharia Law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You don't have to ban the religion to just not accept nonchristian immigrants from their countries, and those for reasons of being refugees, as any Christian fleeing a Muslim nation is.

@Smokin Joe

I am sure there must be some other freak religions I would be in favor of banning,but I am not aware of any at this time.

Other than the alleged religion of Islam,that is. It is a dangerous political cult,and everything it opposes and wants banned is everything the US Bill of Rights protects.

It is NOT a religion. It is a form of government passing itself off as a religion that is dedicated to the creation of a world-wide Islamic police state.

We can either have a free nation,or we can have Islam. There is no such thing as having both and living in peace.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

That is not true. They are allowed to lie about being Muslims as long as the lie is told to promote Islam.

AND.....,how are we supposed to be able to stop the flood of Muslims into our country if we can't close and ban the creation of more Mosques in the US?

I don't know the names of any of them off the top of my head,but I am certain there are certain religious cults banned in America due to un-American practices,so what is the big deal about banning one more?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:42:46 am by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

And, from that you got that he likes islam?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And, from that you got that he likes islam?

@Sanguine

No. What I got from that is he,or she (can't remember) obviously sees Islam as an actual religion,and is afraid that if we declare it to NOT be a religion,we can and will do the same to his/her religion.

Just ain't so. Apples and oranges. Islam is a POLITICAL GOVERNMENT police state cult,NOT a religion. While it may be true that some Christian religious sects are no better when it comes to allowing freedom of thought for their parishioners,that ONLY affects the people who willingly submit. They ain't taking over the government.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

No. What I got from that is he,or she (can't remember) obviously sees Islam as an actual religion,and is afraid that if we declare it to NOT be a religion,we can and will do the same to his/her religion.

Just ain't so. Apples and oranges. Islam is a POLITICAL GOVERNMENT police state cult,NOT a religion. While it may be true that some Christian religious sects are no better when it comes to allowing freedom of thought for their parishioners,that ONLY affects the people who willingly submit. They ain't taking over the government.

Pete, that makes sense and I actually agree with that.  But, that's not what you said originally.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
As someone around here has in their tag line; "You cannot co-exist with someone who only wants to kill you!"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Sanguine

Actually it's both.  It dictates government, business, AND it's a religion.  Judaism also puts out ethical guidelines for business...what you can eat and can't eat etc.  Christianity does as well.

The difference between the three is that only Islam hasn't gone through a reformation.  Hence the reason they still try to run everything like it's the 14th Century.  That and the fact there are some very strong and lingering anti-Semitic traits that were amplified by the NAZI's in WWII.

If you weren't so militantly atheist and learned about some of this stuff you'd know about the things I describe already.

But to say I like Islam simply because I don't think it should be banned in the U.S. is ludicrous.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Pete, that makes sense and I actually agree with that.  But, that's not what you said originally.

@Sanguine

I think it was clearly what I implied,but am not going to argue about it now that we have both explained ourselves.

I have a personal history of being opposed to organized religions,so I sometimes have to be careful about what I write when discussing anything related to religion in order to not be misunderstood and get people mad at me for no good reason. Once we start to get mad,it becomes almost impossible to be reasonable,and this applies to all of us.

To put it as plainly as possible,I AM opposed to organized religions,but I am NOT opposed to people making a choice to join one and try to live according to their guidelines.

Islam is NOT a religion. It is a political system that masks itself as a religion in order to spread it's message and attempt to take over control on non-Muslim countries and peoples.

It is closer to being a organized crime outfit than a religion.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:16:03 am by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@sneakypete, you know I agree with you on much of this.

How you doing otherwise?

Offline musiclady

Amen to that!

We might all be behind bars if they were!  *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete, you know I agree with you on much of this.

How you doing otherwise?

@Sanguine

Still have chemo-brain/Mad Cow,but AFAIK,I am doing good with the cancer. Had my last scheduled chemo last Tuesday,and saw my cancer surgeon last Monday,and all she could do was smile as she talked about my blood test results. I get the sense that she thinks I beat it.

I also have a former SF medic that worked with SOG and retired from the army as one of the CSM (E-9) medics at the Special Warfare School and is now a doctor himself in private practice that has been monitoring my blood results every week tell me basically the same thing. Actually,what he said was "There is no way in hell a old SOB as beat up as you are can beat congestive heart failure and Stage 4 lymphoma the same year. It just defies all logic,but that's what the numbers are saying."

I won't find out for sure what is happening until after the PET test next month,but it is looking good. I am hoping my breathing will clear up a little in the next couple of weeks so I can go back to doing some work in my yard and in my workshop. All this heat and humidity is killing me.  I'm going a little nuts after all this forced confinement sitting on my ass inside the house with nothing to do but the internet and teebee. I need to do some damn work!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:37:16 am by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@sneakypete, that sounds great.  I'm really glad to hear it. 

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
@Sanguine

Still have chemo-brain/Mad Cow,but AFAIK,I am doing good with the cancer. Had my last scheduled chemo last Tuesday,and saw my cancer surgeon last Monday,and all she could do was smile as she talked about my blood test results. I get the sense that she thinks I beat it.

I also have a former SF medic that worked with SOG and retired from the army as one of the CSM (E-9) medics at the Special Warfare School and is now a doctor himself in private practice that has been monitoring my blood results every week tell me basically the same thing. Actually,what he said was "There is no way in hell a old SOB as beat up as you are can beat congestive heart failure and Stage 4 lymphoma the same year. It just defies all logic,but that's what the numbers are saying."

I won't find out for sure what is happening until after the PET test next month,but it is looking good. I am hoping my breathing will clear up a little in the next couple of weeks so I can go back to doing some work in my yard and in my workshop. All this heat and humidity is killing me.  I'm going a little nuts after all this forced confinement sitting on my ass inside the house with nothing to do but the internet and teebee. I need to do some damn work!

So great to read of your positive report @sneakypete !

Keep that positive attitude going you old SOB and you'll be back out in that shop banging those wenches around before you know!!

:thumbsup:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So great to read of your positive report @sneakypete !

Keep that positive attitude going you old SOB and you'll be back out in that shop banging those wenches around before you know!!

:thumbsup:

Whoa!  Wrenches or wenches?

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Whoa!  Wrenches or wenches?

Errrr.....  both?

:laugh: