Author Topic: Turns out, Trump didn’t give up on counting both legal and illegal US residents  (Read 220 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Turns out, Trump didn’t give up on counting both legal and illegal US residents

Andrew MalcolmPosted at 12:41 pm on July 12, 2019

You’ve probably heard a lot overnight about President Trump backing down on trying to get a citizenship question on the census questionnaire next year.

Perhaps you too were surprised that this president who takes on even meaningless slights or disagreements on Twitter would give up so easily. He didn’t.

The rest of the day’s story is somewhat different: Trump says he’s devised another path to the same information, which isn’t certain to be tied up for months with obstructionist lawsuits. And Attorney General William Barr is vocally backing him up. Makes it less of a backdown in his eyes.

“Today,” Trump declared at a White House event with Barr, “I’m here to say we are not backing down on our effort to determine the citizenship status of the United States population.”

UPDATE: On Friday Trump told reporters: “”No, no. Not only didn’t I back down, I backed up because anybody else would have given this up a long time ago.”

Trump and his Commerce Department have been in a long legal and political fight to put the citizenship question back on the Census questionnaire that was dropped after 2010. The census results are crucial to apportioning members in the House e very 10 years and billions of dollars in federal monies.

Democrats oppose the question in part because Trump wants  it but also they say it will discourage minority participation. Democrats wouldn’t mid beefed up census n umbers in urban areas.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/latimestot/2019/07/12/census-questionnaire-trump-barr-answer/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34