Author Topic: Trump Did Exactly What Opponents Of The Census Citizenship Question Said He Should Do  (Read 535 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump Did Exactly What Opponents Of The Census Citizenship Question Said He Should Do

Kevin Daley
Supreme Court correspondent
July 12, 2019 9:47 AM ET

President Donald Trump abandoned his push for a citizenship question on the 2020 census Thursday, opting for an executive order directing federal agencies to share citizenship data with census officials.
    Trump’s order embraces a plan that opponents of the census citizenship question urged the government to pursue.
    Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross previously rejected the records-gathering approach Trump authorized Thursday, saying data the government currently has is incomplete.

President Donald Trump’s executive order on citizenship data collection lays out a plan that hostile judges and opponents of the census citizenship question urged the government to follow from the start of the legal fight.

Indeed, the steps outlined in Thursday’s order were previously repudiated by the president’s own senior aides and lawyers.

“This is brutal,” an administration official told the Daily Caller News Foundation. “Democrats are cheering now and it was a totally winnable issue the timid lawyers fumbled.”

Thursday’s executive order directs government entities to assist the Commerce Department in calculating the number of citizens and non-citizens present in the country. For example, the order requires the State Department to make passport application data available to Commerce officials.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2019/07/12/trump-citizenship-executive-order/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

In other words, another abject cave. 

Now let the spin begin. 

Offline jpsb

A complete cave on a very winable issue. I am very disappointed in Trump, every time he goes toe to toe with the Marxists Democrats he caves. This is not winning this is losing on an important issues.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
A complete cave on a very winable issue. I am very disappointed in Trump, every time he goes toe to toe with the Marxists Democrats he caves. This is not winning this is losing on an important issues.

Yeah, I don't get this one either.

Offline Right Reason

Should have taken it to the Supreme Court.  Assigning Congressional seats and electoral votes based on illegals is disgusting.
Never before in our country's history has a generation been so empowered, so wealthy, so privileged - and yet so empty.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
It did get to the Supreme Court....

Offline Right Reason

It did get to the Supreme Court....

And punted before a decision was made.  The Supremes held that further questions needed answering in the District Court before ruling.

Answer the questions and bring it back
Never before in our country's history has a generation been so empowered, so wealthy, so privileged - and yet so empty.

Offline EdJames

And punted before a decision was made.  The Supremes held that further questions needed answering in the District Court before ruling.

Answer the questions and bring it back

I agree, would have been fine with that.

Not a topic that I followed all that closely but I recall reading and hearing about a deadline for the Census...  that required them to start printing the forms by a certain date (it may be been June 30)...  I didn't get the big hullabaloo about that....  hell, this thing is done every 10 years...  would a delay of a month or so matter??

:shrug:

Offline Right Reason

I agree, would have been fine with that.

Not a topic that I followed all that closely but I recall reading and hearing about a deadline for the Census...  that required them to start printing the forms by a certain date (it may be been June 30)...  I didn't get the big hullabaloo about that....  hell, this thing is done every 10 years...  would a delay of a month or so matter??

Agreed.

And how about printing the forms with the citizenship question?  I bet liberals would find a magic way to get that corrected in time if the Supremes ruled their way.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The data that will be collected and merged through government agencies will be much more accurate than any census.

I'm waiting for the administration to announce it will use the merged government data to determine who receives a census --- which is scheduled to be released in March 2121. 

Another reason to vote for Trump.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:01:03 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EdJames

The data that will be collected and merged through government agencies will be much more accurate than any census.

I'm waiting for the administration to announce it will use the merged government data to determine who receives a census.

I understand what they are going to try to do...

Out of Trump's mouth I heard him say that the data will be merged with Census data collected via the usual means to develop a "more accurate Census..."

Or perhaps they will attempt what you suggest above....

Not being on the inside of this, I have no idea how accurate and comprehensive the available data is....  this may yield a very accurate result.... or it may not...

(I know that Ross was against this approach from the onset.)

However, @Right_in_Virginia, do you not believe that any of the paths above that this administration may attempt, will not get tied up and shot down by A Federal Judge?

Isn't that what we see happening virtually 2-3 times each week?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

However, @Right_in_Virginia, do you not believe that any of the paths above that this administration may attempt, will not get tied up and shot down by A Federal Judge?

Isn't that what we see happening virtually 2-3 times each week?   :shrug:

Of course the courts will try and stop it.  But I suspect after he wins reelection he'll do it anyway.      happy77

@EdJames