Author Topic: House Republicans urge administration to add citizenship question to census  (Read 831 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

House Republicans urge administration to add citizenship question to census
Nate Madden · July 11, 2019   

Eighteen House Republicans urged the Trump administration to move forward with adding a question about citizenship to the 2020 census in a letter sent to Attorney General William Barr late Wednesday afternoon.

Nate Madden
✔
@NateOnTheHill

NEW: 18 House Rs pen letter urging admin to add citizenship question to 2020 census: "Despite claims to the contrary, citizenship is unquestionably germane to carrying out our duty to apportion representatives...The question should be included, a majority of Americans agree."

3:11 PM - Jul 10, 2019

“As members of Congress we can say say unequivocally that we support inclusion of such a question and that it is critical that the President do so as quickly as possible as we prepare for the coming census,” the signatories write.

“From our vantage point in Congress, there are numerous important reasons to include the question on the census, of which the President clearly is aware,” the letter adds. “Those reasons range from determining appropriations levels for states and localities and having data for states to make decisions on ballot box placement, to collection of data for purposes of understanding the impact of immigration (legal and illegal) on communities, as well as obviously impacting apportionment and re-districting.”

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/house-republicans-urge-administration-add-citizenship-question-census/

This was yesterday.  What happened?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Impeccable GOP timing and optics that can't be bought by money.

Offline jpsb

Sadly Trump has caved to the Marxists and the question will not be on the census. I am very disappointed in
Trump. Why does he always cave to the courts? The courts have no jurisdiction on what questions are on a
census. It is inconceivable that US gov census can not ask about US citizenship.

Offline Applewood

Sadly Trump has caved to the Marxists and the question will not be on the census. I am very disappointed in
Trump. Why does he always cave to the courts? The courts have no jurisdiction on what questions are on a
census. It is inconceivable that US gov census can not ask about US citizenship.

So you think the president of the United States should break the law? 

Like it or not, the courts have decided the issue.  No one, especially the president of the United States, should be allowed to break the law by thumbing ⁸his or her nose at the courts.  If we allow the president to defy the courts, what's next?  Will we allow him to abolish the courts?  Then when he has his next tiff with congress, do you thimk it will be ok to let him disband congress too? 

This is the United States of America, not some banana republic dictatorship.  Or is that what you and some of your fellow Trump supporters want?   A dictator with absolute power, with no one to keep him in check?    The founders of this nation had enough of kings with rubber stamping parliaments and courts that ruled in whatever way the monarch wanted.  That's why they created the checks and balances system this country has today.

Whatever Trump and his supporters think about the decision of the courts, it still stands and that's the way it should be.  Trump.has now said he will find other means to acquire the information he is looking for.  That is what he should be doing -- finding another legal way,  not trying to be like his buddies, Putin and Kim.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Like it or not, the courts have decided the issue.  No one, especially the president of the United States, should be allowed to break the law by thumbing ⁸his or her nose at the courts.  If we allow the president to defy the courts, what's next?  Will we allow him to abolish the courts?  Then when he has his next tiff with congress, do you thimk it will be ok to let him disband congress too? 

This is the United States of America, not some banana republic dictatorship.  Or is that what you and some of your fellow Trump supporters want?   A dictator with absolute power, with no one to keep him in check?    The founders of this nation had enough of kings with rubber stamping parliaments and courts that ruled in whatever way the monarch wanted.  That's why they created the checks and balances system this country has today.

Whatever Trump and his supporters think about the decision of the courts, it still stands and that's the way it should be.  Trump.has now said he will find other means to acquire the information he is looking for.  That is what he should be doing -- finding another legal way,  not trying to be like his buddies, Putin and Kim.

Despite your protestations to the contrary, the Courts do not have the final say on anything and the president would be perfectly within his rights to order the question included. Nothing illegal about that what-so-ever.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

Despite your protestations to the contrary, the Courts do not have the final say on anything and the president would be perfectly within his rights to order the question included. Nothing illegal about that what-so-ever.

Wrong on both counts. There are very few legal issues on which the courts do not have the final say, and those are the so-called political questions.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bill Cipher

I'm sorry! Did you mumble something?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

@Bill Cipher

I'm sorry! Did you mumble something?

At least your first statement is correct.  You’re definitely a <stop it!>
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:23:09 pm by MOD8 »

Offline Applewood

Please show me under what law or  constitutional provision would the president have the right to ignore a ruling by the Supreme Court. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Sad, he did exactly what he always does.  Gives in to Democrats.  I think that he was a mole to destroy the Republican party.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Please show me under what law or  constitutional provision would the president have the right to ignore a ruling by the Supreme Court.

First of all, courts do not render rulings. They render opinions only.  The executive branch is one of three co-equal branches under our Constitution and the courts cannot tell him what he can or cannot do in the performance of his duties.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
At least your first statement is correct.  You’re definitely a <stop it!>.

I cannot tell you how broken-hearted I am that you would say such a thing!.   :bigsilly:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:23:32 pm by MOD8 »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

First of all, courts do not render rulings. They render opinions only.  The executive branch is one of three co-equal branches under our Constitution and the courts cannot tell him what he can or cannot do in the performance of his duties.

Wow.  A complete and utter failure to understand the Constitution and the law. 

Courts most definitely issue rulings.  What they may, or may not, at their option, issue are opinions. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:54:17 pm by Bill Cipher »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Wow.  A complete and utter failure to understand the Constitution and the law. 

Courts most definitely issue rulings.  What they may, or may not, at their option, issue are opinions.

According to you!  Which is of exactly ZERO consequence!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

When the courts become unlawful then yes. The courts have no say in what questions are included in a census.
the citizenship question has been asked many times before in previous censuses. The ruling is not lawful and
should be ignored. If the courts want to have a constitutional crisis that is fine with me. Trump will win, but he's
got to have the balls to fight in the first place and it appears he doesn't. Very disappointed in him.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

according to reality.

Bill Cipher

Whatever.  Clearly, if it doesn’t fit with your desired theocracy, it’s not the law. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Whatever.  Clearly, if it doesn’t fit with your desired theocracy, it’s not the law.

I have no desire for a theocracy of any kind but having a CONSTITUTIONAL Republic again would be nice!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

I have no desire for a theocracy of any kind but having a CONSTITUTIONAL Republic again would be nice!

If you think it's ok for the president to ignore the Supreme Court, then you don't want a Constitutional Republic.  You want a dictatorship. 

Offline skeeter

Cmon you know the rules. All those times Obama ignored court rulings are supposed to be of no consequence while we’re to wring our hands when our side defies obvious judicial overreach.

Either suck it up or get called a hypocrite by the site scolds. Those are our only choices.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If you think it's ok for the president to ignore the Supreme Court, then you don't want a Constitutional Republic.  You want a dictatorship. 

Nope! And neither do I think Judges are Kings as you and several others here apparently do!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:02:28 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Cmon you know the rules. All those times Obama ignored court rulings are supposed to be of no consequence while we’re to wring our hands when our side defies obvious judicial overreach.

Either suck it up or get called a hypocrite by the site scolds. Those are our only choices.

The scoldings amount to exactly nothing.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Nope! And neither do I think Judges are Kings as you and several others here apparently do!

Just shows how the propaganda in the "education" system has been going on for many decades....  Sad!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Just shows how the propaganda in the "education" system has been going on for many decades....  Sad!

And the indoctrinations received in "schools of law" has taken hold.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

You're projecting.