Author Topic: New account of Kavanaugh confirmation reveals clashes behind scenes of historic hearing  (Read 478 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New account of Kavanaugh confirmation reveals clashes behind scenes of historic hearing

By Alex Pappas | Fox News

In the moments before his make-or-break appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee to dispute allegations of sexual assault in high school, then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was getting sharply conflicting advice.

Some advisers and friends were urging Kavanaugh to embrace George W. Bush-like restraint in pushing back; others recommended a full-throated Trump-esque denial.

After one aide, on that September 2018 day of his testimony, suggested Kavanaugh be gentle in talking about accuser Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations, a fired-up White House counsel Don McGahn demanded everyone leave the Capitol Hill war room where the nominee was preparing. “Everyone!” McGahn shouted, even prompting Kavanaugh’s wife, Ashley, to get up, before being told she could stay.

These and other newly reported details about Kavanaugh's fiery confirmation process are included in the forthcoming book “Justice on Trial: The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court,” written by Mollie Hemingway and Carrie Severino. The book is set for release Tuesday.

Kavanaugh, that day, opted for the latter approach. Visibly emotional and angry, Kavanaugh told senators on the Judiciary Committee that he was being falsely accused and his name had been "totally and permanently destroyed" by these "false" allegations.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-account-of-kavanaugh-confirmation-reveals-clashes-behind-scenes-of-historic-hearing

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think McGahn had the right approach.  It shocked the Heck out of the Rats on the Committee.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I think McGahn had the right approach.  It shocked the Heck out of the Rats on the Committee.

I thinks so too...I for one cheered him on. It was nice to see someone fight back for a change. Turning the other cheek is for the birds in this day and age...to me it's a sign of weakness!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
I thinks so too...I for one cheered him on. It was nice to see someone fight back for a change. Turning the other cheek is for the birds in this day and age...to me it's a sign of weakness!

Agreed.  My father and stepmother, both fine, loving, elderly people who cannot overcome the partisan Southern Democrat molding of their formative years long ago, argued that Kavanaugh's attitude that day was inappropriate.  I replied that when a man's reputation has been destroyed, his livelihood seriously threatened, and his family intentionally harmed, he gets to be angry about it, and his anger indicates nothing about "judicial temperament."

I still have a generally positive assessment of GW Bush, but his "turn the other cheek" mentality has been proven ineffective and in fact damaging to the country.  Sometimes clear anger and an unmistakably antagonistic response *are* the only appropriate posture.
James 1:20

Offline roamer_1

I think that has ever been true... 'Turn the other cheek' has been corrupted in its meaning.
Sometimes you have to draw a hard line.

Offline verga

When people ask WWJD, too many of them forget that making a whip and kicking over tables is a legitimate alternative. To quote the sage advice of Kenny Rogers: Sometimes you have to fight when you're a man.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.