Author Topic: Colin Kaepernick breaks silence after igniting controversy over Nike's Betsy Ross flag shoes  (Read 2361 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Colin Kaepernick breaks silence after igniting controversy over Nike's Betsy Ross flag shoes
by John Gage
 | July 04, 2019 04:35 PM

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick has made his first public comment since Nike stopped selling sneakers featuring a version of the Betsy Ross American flag after he complained to the company.

Kaepernick, who has been featured in Nike ads, broke his silence by quoting Civil War-era abolitionist and orator Frederick Douglass.

“What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? This Fourth of July is yours, not mine…There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of these United States at this very hour," Kaepernick tweeted on the Fourth of July.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/colin-kaepernick-breaks-silence-after-igniting-controversy-over-nikes-betsy-ross-flag-shoes
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I hate this POS...he has led a life of privilege and should be grateful imho
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
“What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence?

Not one damned thing you cowardly POS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm glad he posted this...it clarifies for all that his original protest wasn't about police brutality as he and all his apologists claimed.  It's about his visceral hatred of the nation that made him wealthy.  I assume his apologists were in on it, so they suck, too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Colin Kaepernick may not totally understand who Betsy Ross is, Dr. Alveda King says

“I am not so sure brother Kaepernick even totally understands who Betsy Ross is. It’s kind of unfortunate that we are fighting over sneakers when we should be celebrating living in the best country on the planet.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/nike-betsy-ross-flag-sneaker-colin-kaepernick-dr-alveda-king?fbclid=IwAR2z6I523FbKmef4w3TKBJSw2RreKWvqPTK3JLtk4kP7F8sx1Wj6_V58c9w
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Colin Kaepernick may not totally understand who Betsy Ross is, Dr. Alveda King says

“I am not so sure brother Kaepernick even totally understands who Betsy Ross is. It’s kind of unfortunate that we are fighting over sneakers when we should be celebrating living in the best country on the planet.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/nike-betsy-ross-flag-sneaker-colin-kaepernick-dr-alveda-king?fbclid=IwAR2z6I523FbKmef4w3TKBJSw2RreKWvqPTK3JLtk4kP7F8sx1Wj6_V58c9w

He doesn't know Shineola about Betsy Ross because he hates all white people, and the USA.  I'll bet he had no idea Betsy created the flag in question, he just instinctively knows it's as evil as you and I are.  Saw them on the shoes and phoned up his buddies at Nike and made a request.  Kappy the Clown says, "Jump!" they say "How high?"  He says "Shit," and they say "Where?"

His apolgists are scrambling for spin, and this is it: "He doesn't hate the flag!  He hates that flag because black folks were 3/5ths people then!"  I heard that with my own lyin' ears.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2024 Democrat candidate...
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Doesn't matter.  This detestable bastard is arrogantly ignorant and chooses be be so.  He will always find some way to spin his hate.  To him, it doesn't matter if he is honest or truthful.  That is the Left today and the Useful Idiots lap it up.  We are rotting from the inside. 

What is stunning to me is the Board Room at Nike.  Surely you would think there is a rational voice - if only from a business perspective.

I have ordered a Betsy Ross flag to fly high and illuminated in my front yard.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:49:57 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Doesn't matter.  This detestable bastard is arrogantly ignorant and chooses be be so.  He will always find some way to spin his hate.  To him, it doesn't matter if he is honest or truthful.  That is the Left today and the Useful Idiots lap it up.  We are rotting from the inside. 

What is stunning to me is the Board Room at Nike.  Surely you would think there is a rational voice - if only from a business perspective.

I figure the corporate board hate the USA as much as Kappy the Clown.
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I figure the corporate board hate the USA as much as Kappy the Clown.

They pander to their base.  Afraid to lose market share on the 100 dollar sneaker the brothers love to steal..er buy/.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

When Civil War III breaks out the enemy will be wearing Nike sneakers.

That’s all I have to say about that.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Here's a few facts Colin overlooked when he decided to protest yet another one of our traditions and institutions:

*  Betsy Ross was a Quaker
 *  Quakers were abolitionists
 *  Betsy Ross lived in Philadelphia
 *  Slavery was illegal in Philadelphia
 *  Betsy Ross never owned slaves
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

Kaepernick, who has been featured in Nike ads, broke his silence by quoting Civil War-era abolitionist and orator Frederick Douglass.

“What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? This Fourth of July is yours, not mine…There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of these United States at this very hour," Kaepernick tweeted on the Fourth of July.

I did not realize that Kaepernick was a total fool.  Douglass gave that over a decade before slavery was abolished, and it was slavery and slavery alone that he was disparaging.  In that same speech, Douglass gave great praise for the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

The title of Douglass' speech was "What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?"  Clearly, Kaepernick is not a slave.  His parents weren't slaves either.  Nor his grandparents, great grand parents, and great great grandparents.  Yet he takes a line from a speech about slavery and applies it a century and a half after slavery was abolished to express his contempt with celebrating the birth of the nation which has liberated more people than every other country combined in the history of the world.

Here are the immortal words of Frederick Douglass:

Fellow Citizens, I am not wanting in respect for the fathers of this republic. The signers of the Declaration of Independence were brave men. They were great men too — great enough to give fame to a great age. It does not often happen to a nation to raise, at one time, such a number of truly great men. The point from which I am compelled to view them is not, certainly, the most favorable; and yet I cannot contemplate their great deeds with less than admiration. They were statesmen, patriots and heroes, and for the good they did, and the principles they contended for, I will unite with you to honor their memory.

They loved their country better than their own private interests; and, though this is not the highest form of human excellence, all will concede that it is a rare virtue, and that when it is exhibited, it ought to command respect. He who will, intelligently, lay down his life for his country, is a man whom it is not in human nature to despise. Your fathers staked their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor, on the cause of their country. In their admiration of liberty, they lost sight of all other interests.

They were peace men; but they preferred revolution to peaceful submission to bondage. They were quiet men; but they did not shrink from agitating against oppression. They showed forbearance; but that they knew its limits. They believed in order; but not in the order of tyranny. With them, nothing was “settled” that was not right. With them, justice, liberty and humanity were “final;” not slavery and oppression. You may well cherish the memory of such men. They were great in their day and generation. Their solid manhood stands out the more as we contrast it with these degenerate times.

https://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/what-to-the-slave-is-the-fourth-of-july/

Kaepernick and Douglass are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum here.  And Kaepernick should apologize to the entire nation for taking Douglass' words out of context.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

The 'Betsy Ross' flag, hanging at President Obama's 2013 Inauguration.

And 2009

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:22:36 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
If this idiot that believes There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of these United States at this very hour," Kaepernick tweeted on the Fourth of July.
Then why the hell is he still living here? (maybe because we have the best standard of living) I guess that along with being totally ignorant of the History of America he is totally ignorant of past and current practices of muslim and African nations.............you know Colon, the very countries responsible for both the past and current practices of selling and buying Africans as slaves?

What I know, is that I will never purchase any Nike branded product again for myself or my grandson that plays baseball, football, soccer and basketball competitively.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Does anyone know what venues are legal for burning the American flag? Wherever that activity is legal, I would assume that those would also be an acceptable places for a Nike bonfire. Would that there'd be such bonfires from coast to coast.

Kaepernick is a lost cause. He would need at least 2 brain cells to rub together in order to have an epiphany. Nike, on the other hand, has deliberately sided with an anti-American and should be made a spectacle of. Other corporations might want to take notice.

If any of you are choosing Nike products -- I don't care who you are or how much you like their products -- SHAME ON YOU! You're part of the problem.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I have only owned one pair of Nike's in my life, and I thought they were inferior to other brands.  And they were not cheap either.

I intend to boycott Nike, the NFL, and Women's Soccer perhaps for the rest of my life.  These three just are not worth their aggravation.  While I haven't bought Nike but the one time, other family members have....but not any more.  Any Nike product enters my house will find it being destroyed....quickly.

Offline Slide Rule

If Colin feels that strongly I don't know how he survives minute to minute.

I will take his I Am An American Card and his Citizenship so he can be free.

Turn them in and quit breathing my air.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Rivergirl

Colin has every right to his own opinions, but I fail to see where he has the right to force others to care.
The sneaker company got into bed with a dog and got up with fleas.  Their problem now.  Should not be ours.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Colin has every right to his own opinions, but I fail to see where he has the right to force others to care.

The sneaker company got into bed with a dog and got up with fleas.
  Their problem now.  Should not be ours.

Exactly!   ****drummer

Well said, @Rivergirl!
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

You would think that someone like Kaepernick, who has made many millions of dollars playing a game, would be if not deliriously happy would be grateful for making scads of money 99.9% of whites don't make.
But he's not. He's bitterly resentful of the country that allowed him to exploit his athletic talents and live like a king.
The sad part is that he's not alone among many black athletes. Lebron James frequently disparages his own country. James has made about half a billion dollars bouncing a basketball in America, and he's not the least bit grateful.
There are numerous other black athletes who feel the same way those two do. How is it possible to convince millionaire athletes that they should be grateful for making millions of dollars playing a sport, money they wouldn't make in another country?

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Ladies and gentlemen, the 2024 Democrat candidate...
Ocasio/Kaepernick 2024: Screw Whitey
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024