Author Topic: The Ugly Americans of soccer  (Read 251 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Ugly Americans of soccer
« on: July 04, 2019, 02:23:54 pm »
July 4, 2019
The Ugly Americans of soccer
By Michael James

In 1958 Eugene Burdick and William Lederer published The Ugly American.  The book was written to expose the failure of U.S. diplomatic personnel in Southeast Asia.  The American diplomatic corps were boorishly indifferent to local language, customs, and culture.  The book caused quite a stir in the waning days of Eisenhower’s administration, and Kennedy used it as springboard to launching the Peace Corps.

In one scene, a Burmese journalist says "For some reason, the [American] people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They are loud and ostentatious."

They are loud and ostentatious.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/the_ugly_americans_of_soccer.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: The Ugly Americans of soccer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 02:31:00 pm »
Whatever chance there was I'd pay attention to this series went out the window the minute these mere game players decided to politicize it.

Now it's become oppressed women against Donald Trump and the patriarchy. Like nearly everything else. I'll pass.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:32:13 pm by skeeter »