Author Topic: Trump: ‘Absolutely Moving Forward’ with Census Citizenship Question  (Read 1794 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump: ‘Absolutely Moving Forward’ with Census Citizenship Question
Breitbart, Jul 3, 2019

President Donald Trump proclaimed Wednesday his administration is “absolutely moving forward” with plans to add a question regarding citizenship to the 2020 census, branding statements to the contrary from administration officials as false

“The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on the Census is incorrect or, to state it differently, FAKE!” President Trump wrote on Twitter. “We are absolutely moving forward, as we must, because of the importance of the answer to this question.”

The president’s remarks come a day after the U.S. Census Bureau began the process of printing the questionnaire without the question.

Trump administration attorneys notified parties in lawsuits challenging the question that the printing of the hundreds of millions of documents for the 2020 counts would be starting, said Kristen Clarke, executive director of the National Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross stated that while he respected the Supreme Court’s decision, he strongly disagreed with it.

“The Census Bureau has started the process of printing the decennial questionnaires without the question,” Ross said in a statement. “My focus, and that of the Bureau and the entire Department is to conduct a complete and accurate census.”

President Donald Trump had said after the high court’s decision last week that he would ask his attorneys about possibly delaying next spring’s decennial census until the Supreme Court could revisit the matter.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/03/trump-vows-to-absolutely-add-citizenship-question-to-2020-census/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on the Census is incorrect or, to state it differently, FAKE! We are absolutely moving forward, as we must, because of the importance of the answer to this question.

8:06 AM - 3 Jul 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146435093491277824

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Yeah, nevermind what Sec Ross said yesterday. It’s fake news. You didn’t read what you read. He had to rage tweet, change his mind, and get everyone to scramble, because Hugh Hewitt said Trump surrendered. This is the government shutdown reversal, all over again, after Coulter called him out. The disarray is evident in the transcript of today’s follow up hearing. Check the statement by the government counsel, Joshua Gardner, on pages 4-5.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/politics/read-census-citizenship-question-hearing/index.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I hope it is true because this is a very important question.  It decides how many Congressional representative and also determines Federal Funding.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

I’m gonna remain positive on this & hope the media was clowning us (again) yesterday.

Offline rustynail

I’m gonna remain positive on this & hope the media was clowning us (again) yesterday.

It might not be the media could be the some in the  DOJ causing trouble.
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/07/03/transcript-from-todays-judicial-teleconference-on-census-questionnaire/

Online corbe

I do, oftentimes, @skeeter wish my TDS didn't prevent me from sharing your optimism.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

http://www.seattlecensus.org/faq/

Still says that the question will not be on the census.  Billions of dollars going to illegal aliens are at stake as well as adding Congressional Seats.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

They weren't. Read the transcript from the conference call today, in post 4. The Justice Dept was proceeding as if it was a done deal, until the tweet.

Joshua Gardner, another DOJ lawyer, indicated during the call that he wasn’t aware of the change in the status of the citizenship question efforts ahead of Trump’s tweet.

“The tweet this morning was the first I had heard of the president's position on this issue, just like the plaintiffs and Your Honor. I do not have a deeper understanding of what that means at this juncture other than what the president has tweeted,” Gardner said. “But, obviously, as you can imagine, I am doing my absolute best to figure out what's going on.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/451639-doj-ordered-to-find-ways-to-include-citizenship-question-on-2020
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:56:31 am by edpc »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Justice Dept. Reverses Course on Citizenship Question on Census, Citing Trump’s Orders

Michael Wines, Maggie Haberman and Alan Rappeport 2 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-dept-reverses-course-on-citizenship-question-on-census-citing-trumps-orders/ar-AADNTfD?ocid=spartanntp

I just cannot understand how this could be a difficult decision for the Supreme Court who take an oath to uphold the United States Constitution.  I certainly hope this isn't a media stunt and the President is serious.  Every White House Constitutional Lawyer should be on this.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

So important for our Country that the very simple and basic “Are you a Citizen of the United States?” question be allowed to be asked in the 2020 Census. Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice are working very hard on this, even on the 4th of July!

4:20 AM - 4 Jul 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146740683119742978

I believe the deadline for the response is tomorrow (Friday) at 2:00 p.m.

Offline edpc

I believe the deadline for the response is tomorrow (Friday) at 2:00 p.m.

Yet, the initial reaction was to delay the census, rather than coming up with a better justification. It'd be nice if the person directing this mess was somewhat capable of understanding the issues and priorities. Instead, we have someone who can't find his own ass with both hands and a map.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Yet, the initial reaction was to delay the census, rather than coming up with a better justification. It'd be nice if the person directing this mess was somewhat capable of understanding the issues and priorities. Instead, we have someone who can't find his own ass with both hands and a map.

ROFLMAO @edpc.

The simple phrase "because we need to know how many actual citizens we have in this country" should be MORE than enough justification.  And, beyond that, The court has absolutely NO business or authority to question the motives of the agency involved. NONE what-so-ever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

ROFLMAO @edpc.

The simple phrase "because we need to know how many actual citizens we have in this country" should be MORE than enough justification.  And, beyond that, The court has absolutely NO business or authority to question the motives of the agency involved. NONE what-so-ever!

If you actually read the opinion, instead of engaging in your typical, simplistic, exclamation point filled histrionics, you’d know why it was a problem. There’s a constitutionally passed law that was not completely followed, which led to the decision.

Whatever we think of the Administrative Procedure Act, the executive can’t ignore laws because they’re inconvenient or considered silly. Perhaps if we had someone who made better cabinet appointments and didn’t govern by tweet, it would have gone a bit smoother.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

If you actually read the opinion, instead of engaging in your typical, simplistic, exclamation point filled histrionics, you’d know why it was a problem. There’s a constitutionally passed law that was not completely followed, which led to the decision.

Whatever we think of the Administrative Procedure Act, the executive can’t ignore laws because they’re inconvenient or considered silly. Perhaps if we had someone who made better cabinet appointments and didn’t govern by tweet, it would have gone a bit smoother.

The OPINION is flat out WRONG as noted by Justice Thomas in his scathing dissent!

"For the first time ever, the court invalidates an agency action solely because it questions the sincerity of the agency's otherwise adequate rationale.” “This conclusion is extraordinary," he wrote. "The court engages in an unauthorized inquiry into evidence not properly before us to reach an unsupported conclusion."

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

@Right_in_Virginia

You can’t meme your way out of his inexcusable incompetence. This is 2019 government shutdown, spending bill redux.

Offline skeeter

The OPINION is flat out WRONG as noted by Justice Thomas in his scathing dissent!

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Thomas over Sotomayor, Ginsberg... AND Roberts.

Online Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

You can’t meme your way out of his inexcusable incompetence.

I wasn't using the meme to defend the President .....    wink777

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:05:48 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

And BTW @edpc, I'm sick to death of these damned judges who seem to think that someone made them kings!  No one did and it's about damned time they were shown that! 

YOU can call that histrionics or anything else YOU chose.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

"For the first time ever, the court invalidates an agency action solely because it questions the sincerity of the agency's otherwise adequate rationale.” “This conclusion is extraordinary," he wrote. "The court engages in an unauthorized inquiry into evidence not properly before us to reach an unsupported conclusion."

The justices ruled unanimously in Parts I and II of the decision, which provided background on Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross' decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 U.S. Census and affirmed that "at least some" of the respondents in the case had Article III standing.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh joined in Parts III, IV-B, and IV-C. Part III held that the citizenship question did not violate the Enumeration Clause. Part IV-B held that the evidence before Ross supported his decision to add the citizenship question to the census. Part IV-C held that Ross' decision did not violate the Census Act.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Brett Kavanaugh joined in Part IV-A, which ruled that Ross' action was subject to judicial review.

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan joined in Part V of the decision, which held that Ross' rationale for adding the citizenship question in order to support enforcement of the Voting Rights Acts was inconsistent with the administrative record.

https://ballotpedia.org/Department_of_Commerce_v._New_York

Sorry, he doesn’t get to say the actions are subject to judicial review, then get butthurt and say it’s unauthorized, because the outcome wasn’t his view.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The justices ruled unanimously in Parts I and II of the decision, which provided background on Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross' decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 U.S. Census and affirmed that "at least some" of the respondents in the case had Article III standing.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh joined in Parts III, IV-B, and IV-C. Part III held that the citizenship question did not violate the Enumeration Clause. Part IV-B held that the evidence before Ross supported his decision to add the citizenship question to the census. Part IV-C held that Ross' decision did not violate the Census Act.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Brett Kavanaugh joined in Part IV-A, which ruled that Ross' action was subject to judicial review.

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan joined in Part V of the decision, which held that Ross' rationale for adding the citizenship question in order to support enforcement of the Voting Rights Acts was inconsistent with the administrative record.

https://ballotpedia.org/Department_of_Commerce_v._New_York

Sorry, he doesn’t get to say the actions are subject to judicial review, then get butthurt and say it’s unauthorized, because the outcome wasn’t his view.

Like hell he doesn't!  This was a FAR excursion from proper judicial review!  Flat out making it up as you go!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

And BTW @edpc, I'm sick to death of these damned judges who seem to think that someone made them kings!  No one did and it's about damned time they were shown that! 

YOU can call that histrionics or anything else YOU chose.

I do call it histrionics, because there was at least one POTUS that defied a SCOTUS ruling. This current president happens to be an admirer. We don’t need a repeat of Jacksonian authority.