Author Topic: Nike Nixes ‘Betsy Ross Flag’ Sneaker After Colin Kaepernick Intervenes  (Read 2587 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nike-nixes-betsy-ross-flag-sneaker-after-colin-kaepernick-intervenes-11562024126

Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn’t sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive (...)

(excerpt. The article is paywalled, but the excerpt pretty much says everything you need to know.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm rather shocked Nike even considered this in the first place.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Talk about another one that got on my last nerve from the onset.....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm rather shocked Nike even considered this in the first place.  :shrug:

@Cyber Liberty

I am surprised their Chinese workers knew what an original American flag looked like.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

I am surprised their Chinese workers knew what an original American flag looked like.

@sneakypete

Me too.  We once got a beach towel on a cruise that was made in China.  It had an American flag with 15 stripes....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Arizona governor says they're pulling tax incentives for Nike after canceling American flag shoes
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/arizona-governor-says-theyre-pulling-tax-incentives-for-nike-after-canceling-american-flag-shoes

Interesting.  I wonder what financial incentives we were offering Nike in the first place?
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Arizona governor says they're pulling tax incentives for Nike after canceling American flag shoes
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/arizona-governor-says-theyre-pulling-tax-incentives-for-nike-after-canceling-american-flag-shoes

@mystery-ak

NO company that does business with China should get any tax breaks.

Or grant money,either.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

Hard to comprehend why Nike lets this has-been have so much influence. He was a mediocre QB and hasn't been employed as a football player for what, three years? Yet they listen to him.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hard to comprehend why Nike lets this has-been have so much influence.

@mountaineer

Not really. The vast majority of their customers are black. I think anyone can figure it out from there.

There used to be an old saying that goes "monkey see,monkey do" that would apply in this situation,but heads would explode if you said it in public,even though there was and is nothing racial about it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Cruz vows never to buy Nike products again after 'Betsy Ross flag' sneaker canceled
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/451369-ted-cruz-vows-never-to-buy-nike-products-again-after-company-cancels-betsy

Come on Ted.  Nike has been on a left wing binge for 30 years, and you're just now boycotting?   What's next?  No more Ben and Jerry's either?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Interesting.  I wonder what financial incentives we were offering Nike in the first place?

@Cyber Liberty

I am wondering why they allowed ANY financial incentives to Nike to start with. After all,they moved production to China.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

I am wondering why they allowed ANY financial incentives to Nike to start with. After all,they moved production to China.

I wonder too. First I'd heard of it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

Only had one pair of Nikes ages ago.  They seemed to fit in the store, but as I walked around in them, they hurt like hell.  Haven't bought Nikes since. 

Boycotting should be easy for me.

Offline berdie

@mountaineer

Not really. The vast majority of their customers are black. I think anyone can figure it out from there.

There used to be an old saying that goes "monkey see,monkey do" that would apply in this situation,but heads would explode if you said it in public,even though there was and is nothing racial about it.

I think you are right @sneakypete .  I don't understand it...especially from a business stand point. But there are a lot of things I don't understand.

I don't buy name brand, expensive tennis shoes, so I don't know who is buying what. But even if they are in the bargain bin where I shop I'll pass them by.

Offline roamer_1

Only had one pair of Nikes ages ago.  They seemed to fit in the store, but as I walked around in them, they hurt like hell.  Haven't bought Nikes since. 

Boycotting should be easy for me.

Well, as far as I know, Nike doesn't make sh*tkickers so...  :shrug:

Offline berdie

Well, as far as I know, Nike doesn't make sh*tkickers so...  :shrug:

Nope...I don't think so either. But they are real purty.  happy77

Offline dfwgator

Nike is dead to me.

Bill Cipher

Pathetic.  Nike, that is.

Offline Hoodat

Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn’t sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive (...)

Good.  I would hate the thought of an anti-American, Portland, OR-based company trying to sell shoes manufactured in Vietnamese sweat shops by pimping the American flag which their chief spokesman refuses to stand for.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

I buy all my sneakers at discount places (DFW, Shoe Dept., etc.), and usually get New Balance, but my marathoner husband has particular requirements in a running shoe. For decades, the Nike Pegasus was his shoe. He used to work for Nike, he road-tested the model, and it always was the perfect shoe for him. He ran dozens of marathons in it. In recent years, he's found that it doesn't perform like it used to. It quickly breaks down (which, of course, causes injuries). In other words, even one of the company's premier shoe lines now is junk.

He's switched to adidas.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

I buy all my sneakers at discount places (DFW, Shoe Dept., etc.)

Yep KMarche for me. Spalding hightops most of my life.
Same with lightweight hikers, though I don't have a brand... It sure ain't Nike.
And same for actual hikers... Always liked Dexter best, But now running Hermann Survivors.
And same for construction boots.

All of that came from KMart.

The serious stuff, cowboy boots, mocs, muks... That's different.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It has been reported that one in five Caucasians own Nikes, while three in five Black Americans do likewise.

...works out to be about the same number.

Nike is no different than the owner of the Red Hen Restaurant in the Virginia/DC area...who has made a conscious decision to thumb their nose at increasing sales and instead cater to a specific demographic.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald