Author Topic: IoT, AI Mean More Targets for US Adversaries, says Gordon  (Read 277 times)

rangerrebew

IoT, AI Mean More Targets for US Adversaries, says Gordon
"This is such a data-rich world that the person who can command that data first is the one who's gonna have a real advantage."
By   Theresa Hitchens on June 27, 2019 at 4:47 PM

WASHINGTON: The more we connect different devices together, and the more we trust those devices to make decisions for us, the more targets we give hackers. That means that the rise of the much-hyped Internet of Things (IoT), from self-driving cars to networked baby monitors, and the increasing use of automated decision-making aides, in both the national security establishment and the private sector, are together creating an ever-increasing number of targets for America’s adversaries, warned Susan Gordon, the principal deputy Director of National Intelligence.

“The surge of Internet connected devices and the delegation of more and more decisions to machines offers the potential for rich new targets for our adversaries, and raises the potential consequences when they gain access to our digital systems,” she told a packed room at the annual Defense One Tech Summit today. Former DNI James Clapper way back in 2016 warned the Intelligence Community that IoT was going to present a huge problem for monitoring and protecting networks against attacks, simply because of the enormous number of devices that will be connected.

https://breakingdefense.com/2019/06/iot-ai-mean-more-targets-for-us-adversaries-says-gordon/?_ga=2.55984491.1368677220.1561719262-1041430956.1561719262

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: IoT, AI Mean More Targets for US Adversaries, says Gordon
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:56:27 am »
On the site Techdirt that covers technology, security, law and civil liberties (and waggishly when commenters complain about how much other than tech it covers claims to be a dirt site, not a tech site), IoT is referred to as IoBT "the internet of broken things", because of how really, really bad security is on almost all internet-connected devices that aren't computers, tablets or smartphones. 

There is something wrong with the world when the thought that your refrigerator might be spying on you isn't a sign of paranoid schizophrenia, but a sober assessment of a security risk.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline roamer_1

Re: IoT, AI Mean More Targets for US Adversaries, says Gordon
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:24:44 am »
There is something wrong with the world when the thought that your refrigerator might be spying on you isn't a sign of paranoid schizophrenia, but a sober assessment of a security risk.

Not to mention that it's just plain dumb. WHY does your fridge need to be online?
It's like putting a computerized high efficiency motor on a lawn mower... 120 bucks or 600 bucks, it's gonna cut the grass the same damn way. It's a friggin lawn mower! GTFO!

Some of it I can see - I am notorious for getting out of the house and a mile away, only to worry that I left the stove on... It'd be nice to say, "Hey Google... Check and make sure I turned the stove off..."

Other than me and Google going 'round and round about it, cuz she don't speak redneck... How come I can't have an assistant with a sweet southern drawl that understands the term 'fixin to'?

It is a bother.