Author Topic: AOC Chief of Staff Compares Moderate Dems to Southern Racists  (Read 1485 times)

rangerrebew

AOC Chief of Staff Compares Moderate Dems to Southern Racists

Posted By Zach Faria On June 27, 2019 @ 8:35 pm 

The chief of staff for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.) compared a group of moderate Democrats in the House of Representatives to Southern Democrats in the 1940s.

"Instead of ‘fiscally conservative but socially liberal' let's call the New Democrats and Blue Dog Caucus the ‘New Southern Democrats,'" " Saikat Chakrabarti said in a now-deleted tweet. "They certainly seem hell bent to do to black and brown people today what the old southern Democrats did in the 40s."

Chakrabarti deleted his tweet after it became target of quick criticism, but then doubled down with a pair of tweets defending his initial point.

"Didn't realize this needed to be said, but: you can be someone who does not personally harbor ill will towards a race, but through your actions still enable a racist system," he wrote. "And a lot of New Democrats and Blue Dogs did that today."

https://freebeacon.com/politics/aoc-chief-of-staff-compares-moderate-dems-to-southern-racists/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: AOC Chief of Staff Compares Moderate Dems to Southern Racists
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 12:55:17 am »
Am I the only one loving the HELL out of this?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 01:17:26 am »
You know, I have been in the South, and live in the West...
I have never seen anywhere near the racism that exists in Chicago.
And I would assume NYC is like Chicago, according to my friends that are from out that way.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 02:29:24 am »
And I would assume NYC is like Chicago, according to my friends that are from out that way.

@roamer_1

I have lived in the south most of my life,and the only times I have ever noticed actual racial hatred was from blacks when I was visiting the bigger cities. Not an instant of problems with rural blacks,but the ones from "de projects" in the city all seemed to hate honkies.

Yeah,I heard the words "bleep" and "coon" used occasionally,but mostly by old men,and even then they were mostly talking and weren't going to hurt anyone. Even when I heard the young whites use the words they  were used casually,and not threateningly.  I am NOT claiming they would have been so casual about it if a black was dating one of their sisters,and especially not if a black had raped one of their sisters. That would have gotten ugly in a hurry.

Even then take note that I never heard anyone I knew suggesting we attack or kill blacks because they were blacks. Not even once.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 03:01:32 am »
I have lived in the south most of my life,and the only times I have ever noticed actual racial hatred was from blacks when I was visiting the bigger cities. Not an instant of problems with rural blacks,but the ones from "de projects" in the city all seemed to hate honkies.

@sneakypete
Right. I can buy that.

Yeah,I heard the words "bleep" and "coon" used occasionally,but mostly by old men,and even then they were mostly talking and weren't going to hurt anyone. Even when I heard the young whites use the words they  were used casually,and not threateningly. 

Right... but the context is different. Coon means different things,especially in rural areas...
You could call a black man a coonass with a coon smile, and neither of those terms have anything to do with being black... Calling him a coonass boy is also not offensive, as grown men are called boy all the time in certain contexts without necessarily being offensive... Though coonass is controversial in some places simply because it can be an offense toward hicks, not blacks particularly. That whole deal is out of my ken, and seems touchy to an outsider....

Raccoons are somewhat admired for their smarts and wily instincts, as well as their thieving abilities and ability to survive... I have been compared to a coon in many ways myself. It is a natural comparative in many ways in rural areas, and no different than being compared to a bear (which happens often to me too).

As for the n-word, I heard that too, but in it's proper context, even that is not insulting... Typically that context is the typical redneck drawl of the term 'negro'. A typical drawling of negro turns out 'neegra' or 'niggra' depending on where you are, and that can easy become the n-word without meaning to offend... And that explains why it is found mostly in older folks, because they are more apt to use the term negro.

I am NOT claiming they would have been so casual about it if a black was dating one of their sisters,and especially not if a black had raped one of their sisters. That would have gotten ugly in a hurry.

Sure, but if you're throwing down, that's what it's for - and just about everything is a slur then.

Even then take note that I never heard anyone I knew suggesting we attack or kill blacks because they were blacks. Not even once.

yep. It's a weird thing to me, being where I am from... I remember the racism from my youth in Chicago, but out here it is pretty nonexistent... A bit, I guess against the natives, but that mostly against res indians, not indians in general, which I think you will understand in its context.

Offline MechBob

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:25:37 am »
I'm only 62. Grew up in western MD. I "know" my parents were very racist, but never showed it, unless it slipped out. I went to school with whites,blacks,"spanish" and asians. Never had a problem.Back then, in that area, the "n" word meant terrible person/piece of crap/untrustworthy.Had nothing to do with race. Well, then comes the early/mid 1970's, and Sharpton,Jesse, and others,  began dragging things down. The black fella I was good friends with(he was my neighbor), older brother, quit running around with us, quit playing on our softball team we had formed(county league) and quit playing sunday football with us.(we were in our early 20's). I asked my friend, 'what is his problem?" (yes my black friend, my neighbor,the younger brother). He replied that his brother is listening to sharpton and jesse, and his mind is screwed. He (younger bro) became a successful lawyer,has had a great life. I would not be suprised if his brother is not in jail. K, I moved to MT in 88, was amazed at the racist stuff here, against Indians. But, only from "native" Montanans.WOW. They were "trained" to hate indians, from their parents. Most had never even met/worked/associated with one!!. Been here 30 years, would rather deal with an Indian or person from the east coast,the left coast still seems to have bad "resentment"?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 03:38:01 am »
I moved to MT in 88, was amazed at the racist stuff here, against Indians. But, only from "native" Montanans.WOW. They were "trained" to hate indians, from their parents. Most had never even met/worked/associated with one!!. Been here 30 years, would rather deal with an Indian or person from the east coast,the left coast still seems to have bad "resentment"?

@MechBob
Been in MT since 73, and hang with Salish/Kootenai and Cheyenne... Punched cows and rode rodeo up and down both sides of the hump, Worked red iron and roads right along side  native folks... and I have not seen any such thing. YES, there is some racism against res indians, that I will admit. But then, non-res natives say the same dang thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 02:41:10 pm »
@sneakypete

yep. It's a weird thing to me, being where I am from... I remember the racism from my youth in Chicago, but out here it is pretty nonexistent...

@roamer_1

Everybody I have ever met from Chicago talks about the racial hatred everybody there has for everybody else,regardless of color. I once had a Pollock friend and an Italian friend in the army who were both from Chicago,but were best friends despite that. They would sometimes start shouting racial slurs at each other,and let me tell you,it quickly got almost as nasty as it was hilarious. Race was determined by neighborhood there even in the 60's MUCH more than it ever was in the south,and it was more violent. I am GUESSING the violence is because practically everybody in the south had been living where they were living for generations and saw each other more as neighbors than they did enemies. Especially in the rural areas where they helped each other in time of need because there WAS nobody else to help them so they helped each other. They mostly stayed separate because they were different,not because they hated each other.

A bit, I guess against the natives, but that mostly against res indians, not indians in general, which I think you will understand in its context.

MOST,not all,reservation Indians are the scum of the Earth. Parasites that do nothing but whine,get drunk or high,and cause problems. I have no use for them whatsoever.

I say "most" because there are some that are just caught up in unfortunate family situations,and who can't leave because they are taking care of elderly or handicapped relatives,etc,etc,etc.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 04:30:30 pm »

You are so right! I was raised in Chicago when it was the most segregated city in the country. I remember my parents whispering about the color line. "The blacks have crossed Halsted, then Ashland." My high school on the southwest side was all white well into the seventies and maybe longer. Whites had counter-marches when the blacks marched. Very divided.

Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »
Everybody I have ever met from Chicago talks about the racial hatred everybody there has for everybody else,regardless of color.

@sneakypete
That's kinda right. I'm a Dutchman. Funny that you mention Pollocks, because for all that the Dutch in Chicago make fun of Pollocks, it's mostly good-hearted, and more than any other, other than Hollanders, most of the folks I knew otherwise were Polish.

Race was determined by neighborhood there even in the 60's MUCH more than it ever was in the south,and it was more violent.

It's really kind of weird... Folks of a kind kinda live together, and kinda divided similar to the old country... Wherever the Dutch were, the Pollocks were nearby... and Germans/Austrians not far off. But the Greeks and the Italians tended to live close together, farther away from me - I did not have southern Europeans in my immediate life hardly at all. So not everyone hated everyone. But because Chicago was so racially insular, If you got more than a few suburbs over, you were not in your kind anymore... And in fact, you were probably not in northern European tribes anymore, and things were strange, and might tend to rub you wrong.

But there was a good quality to that too - I know quite well what a stereotypical Jewish deli is, or Italian restaurant, complete with the fat mamma that ran the place like a dictator... I know that it's true that you can't leave an Italian restaurant hungry... I know exactly what an Irish pub is like... You could step into a neighborhood and get a fairly accurate depiction of daily life in a wholly different culture. I admire that and miss it.

I grew up with what you call racial slurs... Kikes and Dagos, Micks and Spics... But honestly, none of that was hard-hearted necessarily. It felt more to me a sort of shorthand... nicknames for 'races', which did not seem out of place, because Chicagoans have nicknames for everything.

Of course, you'd have to realize these are observations of a young lad - so probably somewhat naive. I do know a whole lot of Pollock jokes, and I remember a seething hatred of blacks... Somewhat so for generic Latinos too, but far less than for blacks...

I am GUESSING the violence is because practically everybody in the south had been living where they were living for generations and saw each other more as neighbors than they did enemies. Especially in the rural areas where they helped each other in time of need because there WAS nobody else to help them so they helped each other. They mostly stayed separate because they were different,not because they hated each other.

That's somewhat so in Chicago too, less the undertones of racism. But yeah... Rural folks are all hard up and need each other... pretty hard to be un-neighborly.

MOST,not all,reservation Indians are the scum of the Earth. Parasites that do nothing but whine,get drunk or high,and cause problems. I have no use for them whatsoever.

That's about right, except add in the liberal do-gooders trying to fix em... It's got a ghetto feel. And since you are in Colorado, I figured you'd know the difference. Western reservations are a different thing. And the distinction is profound. Natives off the res cannot stand the res. I guess it is a lot like American Mexicans vs illegal Mexicans down south... Feels the same way from afar. Folks down there have the same sort of distinction, and American Mexicans sound like they agree.

I say "most" because there are some that are just caught up in unfortunate family situations,and who can't leave because they are taking care of elderly or handicapped relatives,etc,etc,etc.

Absolutely. There's mighty fine folks living on the res too... But they're not res indians, even though they do... But most folks with gumption get away as fast as they can.

Most that I know live up with the hillbillies because the cultures are pretty compatible - Most hill folk own a set of buckskins and tend toward native jewelry and accoutrements. A whole lot of em have native wives and speak the native tongue. But they've a pretty solid presence down on the ranches too... All the rondys and rodeos have a strong native presence. It's pretty hard to be rural, or even small-town and not have a few natives crossing your path pretty regularly.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 07:26:17 pm »
You are so right! I was raised in Chicago when it was the most segregated city in the country. I remember my parents whispering about the color line. "The blacks have crossed Halsted, then Ashland." My high school on the southwest side was all white well into the seventies and maybe longer. Whites had counter-marches when the blacks marched. Very divided.

@austingirl
Yeah, I remember the same. I lived in Alsip most of the time I was there... Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park...
My grandfolks lived in evergreen park, close to the Evergreen Plaza... Something changed in the CTA lines that made it easy for black folks to get to that plaza. In a very short time, we pretty well quit going to that plaza when we were up there to see my grandfolks, which was a serious bummer to me.

I remember walking up there all the time, and remember it fondly. But suddenly it was unsafe - I mean legitimately not safe. crime in and around the plaza went way up.

That was toward the end of my time in Chicago - I think the catalyst was our milkman. He was murdered in his truck by a black kid for twelve bucks. That's a damn cryin shame.

A year after that we were heading west. And I owe my father a great debt of gratitude, because I came out here into my own. While there are some things in Chicago that I miss (mostly food and kin), there is nothing there for me. Not a single dang thing. Ain't been back in 20 years.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 09:44:36 pm »
@austingirl
Yeah, I remember the same. I lived in Alsip most of the time I was there... Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park...
My grandfolks lived in evergreen park, close to the Evergreen Plaza... Something changed in the CTA lines that made it easy for black folks to get to that plaza. In a very short time, we pretty well quit going to that plaza when we were up there to see my grandfolks, which was a serious bummer to me.

I remember walking up there all the time, and remember it fondly. But suddenly it was unsafe - I mean legitimately not safe. crime in and around the plaza went way up.

That was toward the end of my time in Chicago - I think the catalyst was our milkman. He was murdered in his truck by a black kid for twelve bucks. That's a damn cryin shame.

A year after that we were heading west. And I owe my father a great debt of gratitude, because I came out here into my own. While there are some things in Chicago that I miss (mostly food and kin), there is nothing there for me. Not a single dang thing. Ain't been back in 20 years.

@roamer_1

Wow! Awful story about your milkman. I grew up near 79th and Cicero and used to go to Evergreen Park to shop. The only thing I miss is the food. I haven't been back since 2006 for my parents' funerals. They died months apart. Two miserable trips that year. Almost got snowed in after my dad's funeral in November. I changed my flight and bailed.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 01:54:31 am »
@roamer_1

Wow! Awful story about your milkman. I grew up near 79th and Cicero and used to go to Evergreen Park to shop. The only thing I miss is the food. I haven't been back since 2006 for my parents' funerals. They died months apart. Two miserable trips that year. Almost got snowed in after my dad's funeral in November. I changed my flight and bailed.

@austingirl
HAH! 115th and Cicero, a  little more toward Crawford (Pulaski).

Sorry about the folks. :(

I said somewhere else, My sis (and her hubby) comes out every year for the 4th...
This year she's bringing out Portabellos ribs... And I hear, Roast Beef sammiches...

It'll be hard to beat last year's shindig, cuz the whole fam damily showed up for my boy's wedding...
But genuine Chicago ribs and roast beef sandwiches... Damn! That's coming close!

I used to eat Jr's hot dogs as a main staple... Used to be one on Crawford right around 119th, right next to George's  Grocery... My mama used to send me down to George's to fetch her things... And there was always enough extra for me to go to Juniors in the terms of the agreement... I never even thought of saying no! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I sat in front of that little hut, at their single picnic table (with a red and white umbrella over it), chompin on them dogs...

Thought they were long gone... Last few times I was back there, the little hut was boarded up...
But I just found out there is still one left over in Oak Lawn!!
I ain't saying I'll go back just for a hot dog, but the reaction was almost Pavlovian!

And there ain't a pizza anywhere west of Chicago. That's a fact.

Yeah. I miss the food.  :beer:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 04:12:30 am »
@austingirl

Same for Atlanta when MARTA (moving Africans rapidly thru atlanta) extended routes north to Marietta and points north.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 04:29:29 am »
Same for Atlanta when MARTA (moving Africans rapidly thru atlanta) extended routes north to Marietta and points north.

LOL!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 04:41:54 am »

MARTA doesn't go to Marietta.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 11:51:41 am »

It is a rare event to see dedicated leftists come out and admit that Southern Racists (are they somehow worse than other racists?) are as,or more ,more moderate than Dims.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 11:57:10 am »

@The Ghost

You know the truth is that this IS the "White man's fault",right? They only do this because we are so afraid of being called "racist" that we let them get away with it. If we would just start busting heads everywhere black on white violence happens,it wouldn't happen anymore.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 01:34:22 pm »
MARTA = Moving Anybody Rapidly Through Atlanta
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 01:35:51 pm »
AOC Chief of Staff Compares Moderate Dems to Southern Racists

In other words, comparing Democrats to Democrats.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 07:56:52 pm »

Installation of a light-rail terminal near any mall in the US is always followed by an increase in crime at that mall, to the point us normals simply stop going to them because of the risk.  For some odd reason, increasing the mobility of criminals leads to more criminal activities.  Huh.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 09:31:27 pm »
Funny, most people I know from somewhere else are always amazed that we aren't all that racist here.
I just figured that if other cultures and races have lived in the same areas of the country I we do now, just as far back as generations ago, it's time people get over this whole race nonsense.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 10:06:56 pm »
Installation of a light-rail terminal near any mall in the US is always followed by an increase in crime at that mall, to the point us normals simply stop going to them because of the risk.  For some odd reason, increasing the mobility of criminals leads to more criminal activities.  Huh.

@Cyber Liberty

Which is why all the big malls in mega shopping centers are closing. It was primarily women that liked shopping in big malls. They could meet their lady friends and make a social day out of it. When the hood rats started beating and robbing them,or using a knife or gun to rob and carjack them,they quit going to the malls.

No women shoppers means the mall shuts down.

Had a similar thing happen semi-locally. Wal-Mart came in and opened a YUGE Wal-Mart,and sold/leased spots to other stores to make it a shopping center. Everybody was happy for several years,and then a "housing fo de po" development was built on the other side of a treeline,and suddenly shoplifting rates went through the roof,vandalism caused the insurance rates to increase,cars were getting broken into in the parking lot,and shoppers,mostly women and teens,were getting robbed in the parking lot.

The thugs would then run though that patch of woods and get into the buildings,and there was no catching them,then. Had a local cop tell me that every apartment there had an access hole in the ceiling,and the thugs had gone up there and laid some some flooring and torn holes in the shared walls so they could run in one apartment,go up into the ceiling,and pop out in any apartment in the line.

And of course we all know how much good it did for the cops to ask where they went or who they were.

The end result was Wal-Mart bought a HUGE chuck of land outside the city limits,put up a newer and larger store,and sold/leased building sites to other businesses. Too far out of town for the hood rats to walk or ride bicycles,and too expensive for them to take a taxi for an afternoon of theft.

Maybe even worse yet from the hood rat POV,there is nothing but mowed empty fields surrounding the shopping center,and there is no place for them to run and hide if anybody calls the cops on them.

Business is BOOMING out there. The only crime I have ever seen personally was a very tall and skinny black guy faking going through the self-check out and stealing a pair of new sneakers. I watched him do it and told the black girl checking me out what he was doing,but she refused to look that way or say anything. Chances are she was afraid of retaliation if she called security on him.

I was temped to call him on it myself,but I am old,don't move as well as I did once,and if push comes to shove and I have to shoot some MF,it's going to be because he was trying to steal from ME,not Wal-Mart. Hell,I hate Wal-Mart. The only time I go there is I need something TODAY and they are the only ones semi-locally that have it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 10:36:42 pm »
We had a Walmart just down the street from me in my old city for many years.  The Apartments across the street went Section 8 and that's when the shoplifting, robberies and worse started at the Walmart.  A guy was shot and murdered in a checkout lane at one point and Mrs. Liberty started carrying.  She was worried about it and asked security if she was doing something wrong, and they said, "Thank God for you!  Lots of the folks you see are carrying too."

The County Sheriff actually asked the population to please start carrying, since no permit is required to do it.

All I have to worry about around here is meth heads.  They're everywhere.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 11:16:53 pm »

All I have to worry about around here is meth heads.  They're everywhere.

@Cyber Liberty

I am sorry to hear that. AFAIK,speed freaks are the most dangerous and unpredictable.