Author Topic: Army aviator gets DSC for using his Blackhawk as a big metal shield for wounded troops  (Read 243 times)

rangerrebew

Army aviator gets DSC for using his Blackhawk as a big metal shield for wounded troops
By: Kyle Rempfer  

Retired Capt. Christopher C. Palumbo received the second highest award a U.S. soldier can earn in combat during a ceremony at John F. Kennedy Hall, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, on Friday.

The Distinguished Service Cross was awarded to Palumbo by a fellow Army aviator, Vice Chief of Staff Gen. James C. McConville, for his actions on April 11, 2005, while serving as a UH-60 Blackhawk pilot-in-command in southeastern Afghanistan, according to an Army Special Operations Command news release.

Palumbo was originally awarded the Silver Star for his actions, before it was upgraded this year.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/06/28/army-aviator-gets-dsc-for-using-his-blackhawk-as-a-big-metal-shield-for-wounded-troops/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I will only add that for those of you who have never served in a combat unit to NOT think the award of a Silver Star is some sort of "lesser" award. True,the SS DOES rank under the DSC and the MoH,but that still doesn't mean it is anything to sneeze at. ESPECIALLY if you see an enlisted man or Warrant Officer wearing it.

The Silver Star is a serious hero badge. Please trust me on this,and "No,I do NOT have one." I do know a bunch of people who do,and know what several of them did to earn theirs,and remain in awe of their courage even today.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Bill Cipher

I will only add that for those of you who have never served in a combat unit to NOT think the award of a Silver Star is some sort of "lesser" award. True,the SS DOES rank under the DSC and the MoH,but that still doesn't mean it is anything to sneeze at. ESPECIALLY if you see an enlisted man or Warrant Officer wearing it.

The Silver Star is a serious hero badge. Please trust me on this,and "No,I do NOT have one." I do know a bunch of people who do,and know what several of them did to earn theirs,and remain in awe of their courage even today.

Of that I have no doubt.