Author Topic: Immigrant advocates prepare for ICE sweeps: ‘The effect is terror. We’re getting call after call aft  (Read 432 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Immigrant advocates prepare for ICE sweeps: ‘The effect is terror. We’re getting call after call after call’
LA Times, Jun 21, 2019, Paloma Esquivel

[...]

President Trump had said Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents would begin removing “millions” in the country illegally. Federal officials then said that agents in major U.S. cities would target up to 2,000 family members for deportation. On Friday, Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore said about 140 individuals with orders for removal would be targeted by immigration agents in Southern California.

What is already clear is that the announcements have sent fear throughout immigrant communities.  “The effect is terror,” Amaya said. “We’re getting call after call after call. There is a lot of fear.”  Like immigrant advocates throughout Southern California, Amaya said he is urging people to prepare but not panic.

Angelica Salas, executive director of the nonprofit Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, said her group has been meeting with others as part of a rapid response network of community organizations and attorneys, who are on call to provide legal representation to people arrested by immigration agents.

Groups in the network operate hotlines throughout the region that advocates have been urging people to call to report ICE activity and enforcement actions.

“We’ve never had anything like this where whole families are being targeted, as opposed to individuals, so we’re preparing to see a new face of enforcement that maybe we haven’t seen before,” Salas said.  Her group has also been using social media and other outlets to urge people to know their legal rights in case they are targeted by immigration agents.

More:  https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-immigration-sweeps-fear-20190621-story.html

Online Right_in_Virginia

“We’ve never had anything like this where whole families are being targeted, as opposed to individuals

It's inhumane to separate children from their parents.

Online corbe

I truly admire this initiative but to announce the date the roundup is to occur is purely asinine and defeats the purpose.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

I truly admire this initiative but to announce the date the roundup is to occur is purely asinine and defeats the purpose.

If the result of announcing is terror in the illegal community then it’s mission accomplished, IMO.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Not if they leave in droves on their own it doesn't.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
ICE is like Santa Clause, He knows where you live so you better watch out you better not cry
Better not pout, I'm telling you why he's gonna deport you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:01:17 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Not if they leave in droves on their own it doesn't.

That's right, they could "self-deport" as the slogan goes.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Maybe this gives employers a heads up as well.