Author Topic: 15 extra pounds of gear can be the difference between life or death in a firefight, this Marine off  (Read 473 times)

rangerrebew

15 extra pounds of gear can be the difference between life or death in a firefight, this Marine officer’s research says
By: Shawn Snow   15 hours ago

The weight being humped by grunts into a firefight with a sophisticated adversary like Russia or China could be the difference between mission success or going home in a body bag, according to one Marine officer’s award-winning research.

Marine Capt. Courtney Thompson said computer simulations she ran showed that just adding 15 pounds to the “bare essential” fighting load carried by Marines resulted in an additional casualty on the battlefield when Marines were pitted against competent shooters.

15 extra pounds of gear can be the difference between life or death in a firefight, this Marine officer’s research says
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:28:54 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Since women would have to carry the extra weight, my guess is the Corps will forego the weight and safety and choose PC, i.e., no extra weight. :MiniGun:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

In a near-peer fight, Thompson said, Marines will need to move faster on the battlefield to survive and win.

“The slower they are, the higher the chance they have of getting hit," she said.

But it’s not just about reducing a Marine’s exposure time to being shot, smaller weight loads aid in more precise shooting and quicker target engagement times.

A 2018 report from Washington D.C.-based think tank Center for a New American Security, explained that heavy combat loads “not only slows movement and increases fatigue” but decrease “situational awareness and shooting response times.”

Moreover, a 2007 report from Naval Research Advisory Committee on Marine combat loads recommended an assault load of just 50 pounds.

As the Corps focuses on the near-peer fight, the weight carried by Marines into battle is a topic that will need to be front and center for Marine commanders, Thompson said.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Since women would have to carry the extra weight, my guess is the Corps will forego the weight and safety and choose PC, i.e., no extra weight. :MiniGun:
Made me chuckle. That was my very first thought too, just from the headline. Don't forget the 'transgender' as well. We must not discriminate with more weight.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
15 Extra Pounds-BAD!!!!

adding 15 pounds to the “bare essential” fighting load carried by Marines resulted in an additional casualty on the battlefield

rangerrebew

Made me chuckle. That was my very first thought too, just from the headline. Don't forget the 'transgender' as well. We must not discriminate with more weight.

You have made me feel absolutely horrible I forgot the trannies. 88kleenix *****rollingeyes*****

Online roamer_1

15 Extra Pounds-BAD!!!!

Right.

Still, the idea is probably formed around manfacturing a reason why all that weight should not be there, because females just cannot bear it...Watch and see how that goes.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Right.

Still, the idea is probably formed around manfacturing a reason why all that weight should not be there, because females just cannot bear it...Watch and see how that goes.

Maybe so, but it seems that this idea goes back to a 2007 study.

Moreover, a 2007 report from Naval Research Advisory Committee on Marine combat loads recommended an assault load of just 50 pounds.