Author Topic: Severed Head of a Giant 40,000-Year-Old Wolf Discovered in Russia  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By Yasemin Saplakoglu, Staff Writer | June 10, 2019 02:30pm ET

A local man discovered the severed head of a wolf that lived over 40,000 years ago.

Last summer, a Russian man was strolling along the shore of the local Tirekhtyakh River in Yakutia when he came upon a grisly sight: the severed head of an ancient wolf. The head had been well preserved by the permafrost and still sported a full head of hair and sharp fangs.

The man, Pavel Efimov, handed the ancient head over to scientists, who dated it to over 40,000 years ago, or the end of the Pleistocene epoch, according to The Siberian Times. Their analysis also revealed that the wolf was fully grown and was between 2 and 4 years old when it died. [Image Gallery: 25 Amazing Ancient Beasts]

The severed head is 16 inches (40 centimeters) long. That's about half the size of a modern wolf's body, which can range from 26 inches (66 cm) to 34 inches (86 cm) long, according to The Siberian Times...

https://www.livescience.com/65677-severed-head-ancient-wolf-russia.html

Offline roamer_1

Re: Severed Head of a Giant 40,000-Year-Old Wolf Discovered in Russia
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:12:55 pm »
I wonder if this is technically a dire wolf...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
I wonder if this is technically a dire wolf...

I think this one is larger than dire wolves.  Scary.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 10:19:58 pm »
I think this one is larger than dire wolves.  Scary.

Naw, what's scary is that some idiot is gonna clone it... And then it will get out in the wild.

Funny about the dire wolf... you still hear of them from time to time - Not here so much, but up in AK, and up in Canadian Shield country.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 10:21:02 pm »
Naw, what's scary is that some idiot is gonna clone it... And then it will get out in the wild.

Funny about the dire wolf... you still hear of them from time to time - Not here so much, but up in AK, and up in Canadian Shield country.

Huh.  Interesting.