Author Topic: Federal employees turn their backs on Agriculture secretary after relocation plans announced  (Read 1253 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Federal employees turn their backs on Agriculture secretary after relocation plans announced

June 13, 2019 - 04:31 PM EDT

Members of the American Federation of Government Employees turned their backs on Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue on Thursday, apparently over plans to relocate them from Washington to the Kansas City area.

Perdue announced Thursday that two of the Department of Agriculture's research agencies, the Economic Research Service (ERS) and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, will be relocated to be closer to major farming regions, according to Politico.

While Perdue has justified the relocation as a way to improve customer service and save taxpayers up to $20 million per year, some ERS employees have said it is a political move, according to the publication...

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/448459-federal-employees-turn-their-backs-on-agriculture-secretary-over?amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2wnbyNnXJhK9s58qsmaLNlmYEsD8tPHANoRjkC4biGjZolXGDirMZegwg
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm thinking that the same plan should be put in place for a LOT of federal agencies!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Yes, who wouldn't prefer a high-crime, high-cost of living area like metropolitan D.C. to a pleasant, relatively inexpensive community like KC and its suburbs? These people must be anti-barbecue.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, who wouldn't prefer a high-crime, high-cost of living area like metropolitan D.C. to a pleasant, relatively inexpensive community like KC and its suburbs? These people must be anti-barbecue.

Yeah, but would you want them in your area?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Yeah but where will they find liberal friends to associate with out in the hinterlands?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

Fire them all for insubordination,  I'm sure plenty of folks in KC would have to have one of those jobs.

It ain't exactly rocket science, anyway.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Seems like an excellent way for Perdue to rid himself of some of the selfish seekers in the Dept.

the Founders never intended to make DC a permanent residence for anybody connected to the federal government.

Some of those Agricultural Dept workers may be simply scared to be located close enough to their supposed 'constituents' that they may have to hear some of their shouting. 

Can't have that can we?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

You know if they wanted that DC crime feel there is always the Kansas City on the other side of the river in MO! 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sounds like a good plan to me.

If the current employees don't want to be transferred, they can look for another job...

Offline mountaineer

This is typical east/west coastal bigotry, in my opinion. They seem to believe anyplace that isn't NY/DC or LA is a cultural wasteland (bitterly clinging to guns and religion, etc.). I've been to KC many times. Yes, it's civilized, and I'd gladly live there if my job required it.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Seems like an excellent way for Perdue to rid himself of some of the selfish seekers in the Dept.

the Founders never intended to make DC a permanent residence for anybody connected to the federal government.

Some of those Agricultural Dept workers may be simply scared to be located close enough to their supposed 'constituents' that they may have to hear some of their shouting. 

Can't have that can we?
Well, dangit, it's hard to get real dirt out of their wingtips...and loafers load up easy in a plowed field.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This is the best idea I've seen in ages.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is typical east/west coastal bigotry, in my opinion. They seem to believe anyplace that isn't NY/DC or LA is a cultural wasteland (bitterly clinging to guns and religion, etc.). I've been to KC many times. Yes, it's civilized, and I'd gladly live there if my job required it.

I don't think that's it, @mountaineer

If you and family are established in the Maryland suburbs (Beltsville/College Park/Laurel/Columbia) with grown children in middle to high school, it's not that simple or exciting to move to the Prairie Lands.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

If you and family are established in the Maryland suburbs (Beltsville/College Park/Laurel/Columbia) with grown children in middle to high school, it's not that simple or exciting to move to the Prairie Lands.
But it's a heck of a lot cheaper. Besides, you live down there. You've seen what gentrification's done. If we're going to drain the swamp, we have to pump out some of the muck.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Slide Rule

I'm thinking that the same plan should be put in place for a LOT of federal agencies!

We agree again. State Department?

You put the employee in a place to learn and/or serve better. And those upset
can take their resume and find something more appropriate.

I lived in Pullman Washington. Definitely overrun by lefties.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline mountaineer

My family moved across country a number of times for my father's (private sector) job, including moving into our new home in St. Louis just two weeks before I began my senior year of high school. My sister was in middle school at the time. We all survived, because we understood that it was necessary.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:22:33 pm by mountaineer »

Offline Victoria33

Well, dangit, it's hard to get real dirt out of their wingtips...and loafers load up easy in a plowed field.
@Smokin Joe

Consider the moving in and out of this place - NASA
I worked at a middle school doing my usual counselor/testing/managing special programs, just a few blocks off NASA One highway in Webster town - that highway took you a few miles from the school to NASA.  NASA engineers came and went with children in my school; astronauts' children came and went in my school.  Our school nurse whose office was across the hall from mine, was the wife of an  astronaut.

I knew how minds of engineers/astronauts work.  I knew I had such a person registering a child if the form they filled out was like this:  Not one question blank was empty - every single one was filled out completely.  If the question didn't concern the engineer person, he put an "NA".  When I had such a person, I would say, "How long have you been an engineer?"  The person would say, "How do you know I am an engineer?"  Then, I would ask him, "How do you store your socks?"  True engineers' sock drawer is supremely orderly.  He then realized how orderly he was that told me he was an engineer.

Their children were bright even though they had moved around the country with the children changing schools frequently.  I did the best I could to help them feel "included" with other students.   

NASA is a place of "people" and they have "children" and they tend to move in and move out rather than having a fixed place to grow up.  I was born in a small place in the east Texas Oil Field and stayed in that house until I graduated from high school and entered a college away from there.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fed Workers Literally Turn Backs On Agriculture Secretary After Being Told They're Moving To Kansas
Timothy Meads

@Timothy__Meads
|
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 11:30 AM

Imagine being told to do an assignment by your boss and instead of following orders or having a conversation about why you cannot complete the job, you simply stood up and turned your back on him. You would probably be fired, right? Well, not if you work for the federal government. Yesterday, a group of federal employees literally stood up and turned their backs on Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue after being told they would be relocated to Kansas.

The Hill reports that Sec. Perdue "announced Thursday that two of the Department of Agriculture’s research agencies, the Economic Research Service (ERS) and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, will be relocated to be closer to major farming regions."

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2019/06/14/fed-workers-turn-backs-on-agriculture-secretary-after-being-told-theyre-moving-to-kansas--no-actually-n2548243
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Who can blame them? That would be like being punished for no good reason.

DC may suck,but it ain't Kansas,and these people have house payments,children in schools,etc,etc,etc.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Mod2

Topics merged.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

DC may suck,but it ain't Kansas,and these people have house payments,children in schools,etc,etc,etc.

Exactly my point, @sneakypete

Yeah...it may be good for everybody overall, but it's not going to happen with everybody having smiling faces.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

We routinely uproot members of our Armed services and move their families across the country or to foreign postings. They don't get paid as much, I'd wager, I'd bet military retirement is not as good, either, but orders are orders.

No one in Federal service is guaranteed a cushy job.

(much of the private sector doesn't get to make such sedentary plans, either, so welcome to the real world)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Sell the house. For modest home values in DC, they can buy a mansion in a good neighborhood in Kansas.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
We routinely uproot members of our Armed services and move their families across the country or to foreign postings. They don't get paid as much, I'd wager, I'd bet military retirement is not as good, either, but orders are orders.

No one in Federal service is guaranteed a cushy job.

(much of the private sector doesn't get to make such sedentary plans, either, so welcome to the real world)

@Smokin Joe

Joe,speaking as a former career soldier,the difference is the career military people knew this up front and accepted it. It's not coming as a surprise to them15 years down the road,when they think they are settled.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sell the house. For modest home values in DC, they can buy a mansion in a good neighborhood in Kansas.

@Smokin Joe

It ain't the house. It's uprooting your family from everything and everybody they know. It's creating chaos and what had been up until then,regularity.