Author Topic: The Left's Latest Obsession: Buying a Cake  (Read 3110 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: The Left's Latest Obsession: Buying a Cake
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2019, 06:07:16 pm »
I think it is Matt Walsh, who has a recent article out, claiming that the LBGTQ community is not nearly as oppressed as it says it is.
His logic is that they cannot be, if their main objections are who makes cakes and chicken sandwiches.

:pondering:

He may be on to something!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
I think it is Matt Walsh, who has a recent article out, claiming that the LBGTQ community is not nearly as oppressed as it says it is.
His logic is that they cannot be, if their main objections are who makes cakes and chicken sandwiches.

A question comes to mind: If gay people are systemically oppressed in this country, if they are in fact a persecuted minority, then why are all of the most powerful companies on Earth clawing out each other's eyes in a competition to be the most pro-gay? And, even more confusingly, why are people so desperate to be included in this persecuted minority that they're coming up with ridiculous labels for even the most normal sexual appetites? And how are gay people able to march through the streets of every major city, sometimes with cross-dressing children at the head of the parade, announcing their sexuality to the whole world — even if the world didn't ask and doesn't care — if they are so oppressed? I have never seen oppression that works like this.

Read the rest HERE.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2019, 06:19:50 pm »
:pondering:

He may be on to something!

I think he is.  See my post above with his article in full.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2019, 06:27:15 pm »
Again, @Jazzhead, since you didn't understand it the first time, virtue signaling is for those who lack virtue and feel the need to signify that that they have virtue when they do not.  Mr. Phillips is not virtue signalling because he actually has virtue.

Why is refusing to provide the service you've promised virtuous?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2019, 06:31:04 pm »

Give up on the "promise" thing.  One more time:  Advertisements are not legally nor morally binding.  It's just a club for virtue signalers to beat Phelps over the head with, now that the "bigot" label faded in the washing machine.  You're just moving the goalposts again.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »
Give up on the "promise" thing.  One more time:  Advertisements are not legally nor morally binding.  It's just a club for virtue signalers to beat Phelps over the head with, now that the "bigot" label faded in the washing machine.  You're just moving the goalposts again.

Keeping your word is, IMO, morally virtuous and arbitrarily violating it is not.  And, as a matter of fact,  a promise made in an advertisement can indeed be legally binding.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2019, 06:38:53 pm »
Keeping your word is, IMO, morally virtuous and arbitrarily violating it is not.  And, as a matter of fact,  a promise made in an advertisement can indeed be legally binding.

That is for a court of law to decided not in the court of your opinion.
Let it go.  This shall be litigated.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2019, 06:41:29 pm »

The ad that you ceaselessly cite is ancient, so you are saying it is forever binding, without cease.   Is that a normal part of contract law, or is it just a club to beat what you have called a bigot with now?

"Just bake the bleeping cake" is what your entire line of discussion distills down to.  This discussion with you has gone on for years now,  Done here, I have work to do setting my new Castle straight.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2019, 06:43:32 pm »

Show me this "promise" where said baker promises to bake cakes for ANYONE (regardless of sexual preference) to celebrate the joining of two people of the same gender (regardless of sexual preference) under the guise of a 'wedding'?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 07:02:27 pm »

Don't even.  You know he didn't promise to do same-sex "wedding" cakes.  That's very dishonest of you.

Offline GrouchoTex

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 07:09:16 pm »
He advertises that he makes wedding cakes.   His customer seeks a wedding cake.

Makes no difference. Every deal is a new and unique contract that he is under no obligation to participate in.
It don't matter why.

Advertising a service does not mean one MUST provide it to anyone. I turned down plenty of jobs in my life... And will turn down plenty more.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »
It's called keeping your word.   Apparently one's sacred honor isn't enough.   Mr. Phillips is free to choose whether to make wedding cakes.   He's so eager to make money from wedding cakes that he advertises and brags about his expertise.   

He should keep his word.

LOL! No, it's not.
No word has been given. no contract, verbal or otherwise has been entered into.
Sacred honor does not enter into it until the bargain has been struck - THEN is where keeping his word is enacted.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 07:16:56 pm »

It HAS NOT been promised.
No bargain has been made.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 07:19:36 pm »
I think what @Jazzhead is saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that the mere advertising of a service equals a contract.  I'm not sure how else his argument would work.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 07:20:21 pm »

There IS IN FACT no promise made.
Just because I advertise lawn mowing does not mean I have to mow YOUR lawn.
I may even make a tentative agreement and an appointed time...
But when I show up at your trailerhouse and see your lawn covered in dog crap and rocks, i am still free to queer the deal and drive off.

You are not entitled to my service.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 07:23:36 pm »
I think what @Jazzhead is saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that the mere advertising of a service equals a contract.  I'm not sure how else his argument would work.

Yeah, that seems to be what he's hawking. And it's totally wrong.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 07:57:31 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 07:59:32 pm »
Yeah, that seems to be what he's hawking. And it's totally wrong.

He has a thing for all things gay.   Defending them that is.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 08:05:14 pm »

It can't work because it would be a contract with no expiration date.  He keeps referring to an ad that was published before the State in question redefined "marriage" (that fact alone should have voided any implied agreement).  I didn't see the advertising of "Wedding Cakes" after the first lawsuit was filed years ago.  I went to the website of the bakery.

If I dug out a vintage ad from Sears, I could demand they build me a house for $5,000.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:26 pm »
How many thousands of times must we go round and round THIS particular mulberry bush?  Asking for a friend.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2019, 08:18:44 pm »
It can't work because it would be a contract with no expiration date.  He keeps referring to an ad that was published before the State in question redefined "marriage" (that fact alone should have voided any implied agreement).  I didn't see the advertising of "Wedding Cakes" after the first lawsuit was filed years ago.  I went to the website of the bakery.

If I dug out a vintage ad from Sears, I could demand they build me a house for $5,000.

Right, but also incidental. It would not matter if he had a current ad.
Running an advertisement in no way obliges one to enter into contract

Except in the case where a promise is actually made - Coupons as an instance.

An ad saying 'Hi, I fix widgets' merely attempts to attract business - It does not obligate either party to engage in business.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2019, 08:20:58 pm »
Asking for a friend.
Which one? The monkey or the weasel?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2019, 08:22:17 pm »
Which one? The monkey or the weasel?

Both actually!  22222frying pan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2019, 08:22:34 pm »

Ah, the pitfalls of making it up as you go.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-