Author Topic: The Left's Latest Obsession: Buying a Cake  (Read 3111 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: The Left's Latest Obsession: Buying a Cake
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:01 pm »
But we're still off on a tangent.  The Baker here never discriminated against anyone.

It should not matter if he did.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 10:15:52 pm »
It should not matter if he did.

Correct, it shouldn't.  We are definitely on the same side here.  But it just galls me that the left has made this out to be a discrimination case when no one was discriminated against (except of course the baker).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »
Correct, it shouldn't.  We are definitely on the same side here.  But it just galls me that the left has made this out to be a discrimination case when no one was discriminated against (except of course the baker).

Yep. I get it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 11:34:46 pm »
In a FREE society anyone can discriminate against anyone else on any basis he wishes and live with the result.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 03:28:10 am »
From the original article:
"Militant LGBT activists are once again picking on Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, a Denver suburb..."

Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

Sooner or later, baker Phillips must wise up and recognize the reality he faces:
That is to say, the leftist/democrat-communists are NEVER going to let him alone.
Even moreso now that he's become a national symbol for the right.

And... because Colorado is now a "new slavery state", the state is never going to protect him.

So...  Mr. Phillips, if you want to bake away without having the LGBT pies continually thrown in your face, your best option is to pack up shop, GET OUT OF Colorado, and move to a state more welcoming to traditional-minded Americans.

Wyoming or Utah might be good choices.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:25 pm »
From the original article:
"Militant LGBT activists are once again picking on Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, a Denver suburb..."

Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

Sooner or later, baker Phillips must wise up and recognize the reality he faces:
That is to say, the leftist/democrat-communists are NEVER going to let him alone.
Even moreso now that he's become a national symbol for the right.

And... because Colorado is now a "new slavery state", the state is never going to protect him.

So...  Mr. Phillips, if you want to bake away without having the LGBT pies continually thrown in your face, your best option is to pack up shop, GET OUT OF Colorado, and move to a state more welcoming to traditional-minded Americans.

Wyoming or Utah might be good choices.

Or, maybe,  just maybe,  Mr. Phillips should provide the services he advertises to provide.   It's really not that difficult.   I swear it's not.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline rustynail

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 12:53:51 pm »
Are they gluten free?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 01:03:32 pm »
Or, maybe,  just maybe,  Mr. Phillips should provide the services he advertises to provide.   It's really not that difficult.   I swear it's not.

He already does that and you damned well know it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »
1 Corinthians 5
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 03:42:19 pm »
It was a complete setup from the getgo.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,364743.msg1988120.html#msg1988120
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 04:01:35 pm »

Back to this, are we?  Please show me where Mr. Phillips advertises to provide same-gender wedding cakes, or LGBTBBQ come-out party cakes for that matter?  You have been asked this question over a dozen times, yet you never seem to come up with anything to back up your claim.  Lies make Jesus cry.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 04:31:08 pm »
Because a business person provides a service, he or she is under no compulsion to make whatever a customer wants whether it's a cake, a painting, a certain color of car, or any other type of widget.
What is so hard to understand about that right?
If I go to some car painting business and demand they paint my car some color they don't usually do, they are under no compulsion to paint my car with the colors I demand.
I can either go to some other business that paints cars and request they paint my car with my colors or I can paint it myself. I cannot force some business to paint my car with the colors I demand just because they might do that for other customers. Tough for me, but too bad. That's called freedom.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 04:32:02 pm »
Back to this, are we?  Please show me where Mr. Phillips advertises to provide same-gender wedding cakes, or LGBTBBQ come-out party cakes for that matter?  You have been asked this question over a dozen times, yet you never seem to come up with anything to back up your claim.  Lies make Jesus cry.

He advertises that he makes wedding cakes.   His customer seeks a wedding cake. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 04:36:27 pm »

By definition, 'wedding' initiates a covenant between one man and one woman.  That term has now been hijacked by others seeking to impose their own definition on that term.  However, that does not mean they can force this man to accept their definition.  He does not accept it.  He is the author and finisher of said cakes.  He gets to decide how they are defined.  And there is nothing that you or anyone else can do to force him to accept your definition of that term.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 04:58:31 pm »
A business person advertises that he only paints Christian religious pictures.  A customer comes in and requests he paints a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu/Shinto/Whatever religious picture.
Does the business person have to paint the picture of another religion?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »

Ah, the old "advertising" exception written into the 1st Amendment.  Right next to the clause that specifically states there is to be a "wall between church and state." *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 05:24:53 pm »
Ah, the old "advertising" exception written into the 1st Amendment.  Right next to the clause that specifically states there is to be a "wall between church and state." *****rollingeyes*****

It's called keeping your word.   Apparently one's sacred honor isn't enough.   Mr. Phillips is free to choose whether to make wedding cakes.   He's so eager to make money from wedding cakes that he advertises and brags about his expertise.   

He should keep his word. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 05:25:25 pm »
A business person advertises that he only paints Christian religious pictures.  A customer comes in and requests he paints a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu/Shinto/Whatever religious picture.
Does the business person have to paint the picture of another religion?

No.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 05:28:17 pm »
By definition, 'wedding' initiates a covenant between one man and one woman.  That term has now been hijacked by others seeking to impose their own definition on that term.  However, that does not mean they can force this man to accept their definition.  He does not accept it.  He is the author and finisher of said cakes.  He gets to decide how they are defined.  And there is nothing that you or anyone else can do to force him to accept your definition of that term.

Then let's hope he's hired a good lawyer.  He's gonna need one.   

It would be much simpler for him to just keep his word.  But I think he enjoys his virtue-signaling,  and he's got lawyers (not necessarily good ones) who will apparently work for free.   Good luck to him.  He's going to need it.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 05:29:16 pm »
It's called keeping your word.   Apparently one's sacred honor isn't enough.   Mr. Phillips is free to choose whether to make wedding cakes.   He's so eager to make money from wedding cakes that he advertises and brags about his expertise.   

He should keep his word.

I understand he no longer has the advertisement you keep saying he does.  Should he be held to a five-year old ad?  Are advertisements legally binding contracts?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 05:33:02 pm »

It would be much simpler for him to just keep his word.  But I think he enjoys his virtue-signaling,  and he's got lawyers (not necessarily good ones) who will apparently work for free.   Good luck to him.  He's going to need it.

Again, @Jazzhead, since you didn't understand it the first time, virtue signaling is for those who lack virtue and feel the need to signify that that they have virtue when they do not.  Mr. Phillips is not virtue signalling because he actually has virtue.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 05:36:01 pm »

He does.  Some of the best fighting for justice from the tyranny of the trannies and gay minority.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 05:37:19 pm »
Again, @Jazzhead, since you didn't understand it the first time, virtue signaling is for those who lack virtue and feel the need to signify that that they have virtue when they do not.  Mr. Phillips is not virtue signalling because he actually has virtue.

First it was decided "commercial speech" is not included in the 1st Amendment, then it seems commercial speech is to be legally binding.  If that goalpost keeps moving it'll be completely outside the stadium, like this:

I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 05:40:11 pm »
It would be much simpler for him to just keep his word.

It would be much simpler for you to stop forcing him to accept YOUR definition of 'wedding'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 06:00:03 pm »
I think it is Matt Walsh, who has a recent article out, claiming that the LBGTQ community is not nearly as oppressed as it says it is.
His logic is that they cannot be, if their main objections are who makes cakes and chicken sandwiches.