Author Topic: While in U.K., President Trump Says He's "Thinking About" Banning Suppressors  (Read 1377 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The New American by Joe Wolverton, II, J.D. 6/7/2019

Here we go again.

During an interview with the British morning talk show Good Morning Britain, President Donald Trump told the hosts that he was going to “think about” banning sound suppressors for guns, known commonly (though incorrectly) as silencers.

Piers Morgan, an avowed advocate of civilian disarmament, began by complimenting the president for banning bump stocks, and then he transitioned to discussing the Virginia Beach tragedy, and that then led to the following exchange between Trump and Morgan.

“What is your view on silencers?” Morgan asked, after mentioning that the man accused of committing the atrocities at Virginia Beach used a suppressor.

“I don’t like them,” President Trump responded.

“Would you like to see those banned?” Morgan asked.

“I’d like to think about it,” Trump replied. “Nobody’s talked about silencers very much. They did talk about the bump stock and we had it banned. We’re looking at that, I’m going to seriously look at it," the president added, referring to his unconstitutional banning of bump stocks via executive order.

This discussion was prompted by the fact that an armed man opened fire in Virginia Beach, Virginia, killing 12 people. During their investigation at the crime scene, police recovered a sound suppressor.

While most people have heard of a “silencer” — and have seen them used on TV and the movies — the term “suppressor” is not so familiar. Here’s a helpful summary provided by a suppressor vendor:

More: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/32545-while-in-u-k-pres-trump-says-he-s-thinking-about-banning-suppressors

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
What the hell is wrong with him?

This makes no sense whatsoever....

Does he really think that all of this blatant pandering is going to gain a significant amount of votes?  (It isn't.)  He is just alienating his supporters.

:thud:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I sure had my hopes up back in 2017, during Trump's first 100 days, when his son was pushing the Hearing Protection Act of 2017.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's interesting he would pop this one off in a country that requires suppressors for hunting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What the hell is wrong with him?

This makes no sense whatsoever....

Does he really think that all of this blatant pandering is going to gain a significant amount of votes?  (It isn't.)  He is just alienating his supporters.

:thud:
I think that it's what he truly believes. It's what you get when you live your whole life in New York City.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think that it's what he truly believes. It's what you get when you live your whole life in New York City.

He probably believes a suppressor makes a .45 go "pew!"  Like in the movies.  **nononono*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
He probably believes a suppressor makes a .45 go "pew!"  Like in the movies.  **nononono*

Regardless of that, is he still so primitive that he believes what he "likes" or not is germane to the topic??

Seriously, when I read these things I believe that he is essentially Constitutionally Clueless.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Regardless of that, is he still so primitive that he believes what he "likes" or not is germane to the topic??

Seriously, when I read these things I believe that he is essentially Constitutionally Clueless.

How does a ban on suppressors infringe on your right to have a gun?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:18:13 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How does a ban on suppressors infringe on your right to have a gun?

It sure would infringe on my right to posses a silencer, defined as a firearm under the NFA. (Enacted in 1934, the National Firearms Act (NFA) comprehensively regulates “firearms,” defined to include machine guns, silencers, and certain other weapons, ...

Bill Cipher

It sure would infringe on my right to posses a silencer, defined as a firearm under the NFA. (Enacted in 1934, the National Firearms Act (NFA) comprehensively regulates “firearms,” defined to include machine guns, silencers, and certain other weapons, ...

I rather seriously doubt that the term “firearm” as defined in a statute would determine the meaning of the term for the purposes of the Constitution.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bump Stocks were banned by defining them as firearms, machine guns to be exact. If the Federal Govt. treats them as firearms, shouldn't they also be covered under the Second Amendment?

Silencers are already defined as firearms by the Fed. Govt. in the NFA. They too should be covered by the Second Amendment. What mechanism will Trump utilize to ban them? A Tweet? An Executive Order? Or another shady BATFE redefinition?