Author Topic: 'Jeopardy!' winner James Holzhauer will likely have to pay $1.2M in taxes  (Read 530 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Jeopardy!' winner James Holzhauer will likely have to pay $1.2M in taxes
By Joe Concha - 06/04/19 07:21 PM EDT

Former “Jeopardy!” champion James Holzhauer will likely have to pay $1.2 million in taxes on his $2.462 million winnings amassed during his 32-game winning streak, according to the sports media analytics company The Action Network.

Holzhauer, a professional gambler from Nevada, will have to pay both federal and California state taxes, where the decades-old program is broadcast. California has the dubious distinction of having the nation's highest tax rate at 13.3 percent. When adding the federal and state taxes up, they will take away 47.6 percent of Holzhauer's lump sum, The Action Network reported.

Holzhauer said he received his check this week with taxes already withheld.

Ken Jennings is still the all-time "Jeopardy" earnings champ, taking home more than $2.5 million in winning 74 straight games in 2004.

Holzhauer did set a new record during his run for most money won in the single game during the show's episode that aired April 17 when he won $131,127.

The Holzhauer run came as longtime "Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek is battling Stage 4 prostate cancer.

Trebek, 78, recently shared that he is responding the chemotherapy treatment well. He says his doctors say he's in "near remission" and “they hadn’t seen this kind of positive results in their memory.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/446985-jeopardy-winner-james-holzhauer-will-likely-have-to-pay-12m-in-taxes
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Glad to hear that Alex Trebek is doing well.

The taxes are obscene though. 

Offline Rivergirl

James has been donating thousands of dollars as he has been winning on Jeopardy.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Yep, I know this.
Between taxes and Divorce, everything I make was just 1/3.
Half goes to the government, Half goes to my ex wife.
And whatever is left over goes to me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
James has been donating thousands of dollars as he has been winning on Jeopardy.
You can bet there's been a charitable trust set up to serve as a nice tax shelter. Anyone that smart probably has already planned for it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024