Author Topic: ‘I Will Not Say His Name’: Police Try to End Notoriety of Gunmen in Mass Shootings  (Read 821 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
June 3, 2019
VIRGINIA BEACH — The city manager has not said his name in public. The police chief snarled it just once.

They have called him “that 13th person,” “the suspect” and “the perpetrator.” But since DeWayne Craddock killed a dozen people when he opened fire at a Virginia Beach government office on Friday, top local officials have observed a self-imposed, near total silence about his identity.

“We’re going to mention his name once, and then he will be forever referred to as ‘the suspect’ because our focus now is the dignity and respect to the victims in this case and to their families,” the police chief, James A. Cervera, said on Friday night, hours after the attack.

The intentional effort to deny killers attention represents a sharp departure from how information about mass shootings was disseminated in the era before they became so common. It reflects the growing evidence that perpetrators are driven by a desire for fame. And it is also one of the few concrete steps public officials can take to avert what is known as the copycat effect, especially as new data confirms that many assailants are influenced by information about previous attackers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/us/dewayne-craddock-va-beach-shooting.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is new.  I wonder what's changed.   :pondering:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Call me a cynic but I thought the same thing you are thinking.  But I didn't want to color the discussion about this and let each of us decide for themselves.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I will not say the name of the Virginia Tech gunman.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I call BS.

If this was a white Nazi-aligned shooter with an AK, his photo, name and gun would be plastered over every website.

It is PC crappola.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goatprairie

I want to know the names of all the killers, their motives if possible, and anything else that might lead to a better understanding of why these nuts go off.
I hate secrecy on these matters, and I sincerely doubt people become copycat mass killers because they read about it or saw it reported on tv or the internet.
Secrecy only helps the people in power control the news and deceive people by blaming only certain groups.
The great majority of these nuts go off because they were slighted or they felt they were slighted in their jobs and decided to get revenge.
 And there are the ideological killers like the guy who gunned down the people in homosexual nightclub in Florida.
Covering up the crimes won't help trying to understand and prevent these things before they happen. Maybe it isn't possible to stop many of them, but it might be possible to help the innocent protect themselves from these monsters.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I call BS.

If this was a white Nazi-aligned shooter with an AK, his photo, name and gun would be plastered over every website.

It is PC crappola.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Not to mention family portraits and the name of the Confederate units his great,great,great granpappies fought in during the War of Northern Aggression.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

Common sense prevailing?  That is new.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
“We’re going to mention his name once, and then he will be forever referred to as ‘the suspect’ because our focus now is the dignity and respect to the victims in this case and to their families,” the police chief, James A. Cervera, said on Friday night, hours after the attack.

I don't believe him.

The reason they "won't mention the name" is because the guy ain't white and he ain't "right".

Hence... keep him outta sight.

Online Wingnut

I don't believe him.

The reason they "won't mention the name" is because the guy ain't white and he ain't "right".

Hence... keep him outta sight.

Knee grows are protected