Author Topic: Are Suppressors Next? Trump: ‘I Don’t Like Them At All’  (Read 2359 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The next 'bump stock'. I'm sure apologists will say this isn't an attack on the 2nd Amendment.

....President Trump was asked about the use of suppressors as he left the White House for a trip to the UK....

...As we are all aware, President Trump took a similarly dim view of bump fire stocks. And following the Las Vegas shooting, he directed the ATF to “take another look” at them. That resulted in the magical reclassification of bump stocks as machine guns.
The Hearing Protection Act, given the current makeup of Congress, is a dead letter. What more could the President or the ATF do to limit suppressor ownership?.....

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/06/luis-valdes/are-suppressors-next-trump-i-dont-lik

Offline ABX

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

He Fights!!!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
They'll say I shouldn't have posted mine in 2nd Amendment.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,363993.0.html

President Trump Critical of Firearm Suppressors After VA Beach Shooting

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/06/03/president-trump-critical-firearm-suppressors-after-va-beach-shooting/

Online corbe

His 'NY Liberal' is bubbling up to the surface, again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The next 'bump stock'. I'm sure apologists will say this isn't an attack on the 2nd Amendment.

For what reason, other than to silently commit a murder, would a gun owner need or use a "suppressor?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
For what reason, other than to silently commit a murder, would a gun owner need or use a "suppressor?

Suppressors do not make guns silent. What they will do is reduce the muzzle blast to a level that will not damage your hearing if you fire the weapon without ear protection.

Suppressors do not make guns silent. What they will do is reduce the muzzle blast to a level that will not damage your hearing if you fire the weapon without ear protection.

Arguments like this do not help your case.  The Virginia Beach shooter didn't use a suppressor to protect his hearing.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:04:48 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Arguments like this do not help your case.
But he is correct.  That is exactly what they are used for.

Maybe you watch too many criminal cases on TV.

Next case, counselor.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It matters not. I see that there is no way that the bill, H.R.155 - Hearing Protection Act, or any another variant thereof will ever be passed. I see that the best way is to form a NFA Trust to purchase NFA items such as suppressors and SBRs.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Arguments like this do not help your case.  The Virginia Beach shooter didn't use a suppressor to protect his hearing.

@Elderberry is absolutely correct. Suppressors don’t perform as seen in movies. Fire a gun indoors, without a suppressor, then with one. One is deafening, the other is loud. Stop pushing liberal talking points and embarrassing yourself.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline oldno7

Nor did he use it to kill anyone.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline ABX

Hearing protection.

I take it you never have been around firearms?  If you are in a situation like in your home if someone kicks the door in, you don't have time to go find your ear plugs. It also improves your situational awareness. A firearm going off in an enclosed space can dizzy you quickly if not prepared. This is a determent if someone is defending themselves in a critical situation.

That is, unless you like permanent hearing damage.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:29:58 pm by ABX »

Offline ABX

Too many people learn about firearms from movies instead of experience. They think suppressors make loud guns sound like little clicks or poofs.

Offline GrouchoTex

If you are hunting, and you fire w/o a suppressor, you can scare off the other game in the area.
If you hunt with a suppressor, it is less likely to have the other game run off and hide.

But he is correct.  That is exactly what they are used for.  Maybe you watch too many criminal cases on TV.  Next case, counselor.

First you all argued in favor of bump stocks because there are other than nefarious reasons to adjust a firearm for rapid fire --- which the shooter in the Virginia Beach massacre did.  Now you're asking people to believe this same man who murdered 12 people and also used a suppressor --- did so to protect his hearing? 

Are you writing a book on how to lose a debate?

Offline ABX

First you all argued in favor of bump stocks because there are other than nefarious reasons to adjust a firearm for rapid fire --- which the shooter in the Virginia Beach massacre did.  Now you're asking people to believe this same man who murdered 12 people and also used a suppressor --- did so to protect his hearing? 

Are you writing a book on how to lose a debate?

So because one person uses something for illegal purposes, it should be banned for everyone?

Why not just extend that logic to the gun itself, not just the suppressor?

Guess what, we supposedly live in a free country. We should not have to justify a need nor should we be subject to collective justice (I believe the term is 'social justice'), where individual rights are suppressed (no pun intended) for the greater good (sic).

So because one person uses something for illegal purposes, it should be banned for everyone?

Why not just extend that logic to the gun itself, not just the suppressor?

Guess what, we supposedly live in a free country. We should not have to justify a need nor should we be subject to collective justice (I believe the term is 'social justice'), where individual rights are suppressed (no pun intended) for the greater good (sic).

People are being slaughtered in school and work ... innocent people just living what we call "everyday life".  And people are rightfully scared and fed up.

Proponents who believe individual rights means unrestricted gun ownership should have an answer for those asking why your gun ownership rights can so freely intrude on an individual's right to life.

Gun activists might do better if they find their humanity before shooting off another kneejerk reply to proposed gun restrictions.

Offline Victoria33

@ABX

Good, you know about weapon suppressors/silencers.  Taking them off the market means nothing as one can be easily made.  This notice along with instructions how to make one (if a person wants to make one, he/she is not going to check regulations in their city/county/state/country to see if it is legal):

"Note: It is illegal to build a silencer for anything that fires a projectile without a $200 tax stamp on a Form 1 under the National Firearms Act, unless you are a licensed Class 3 Firearms dealer. This article is for demonstration purposes only!  Some counties/municipalities, states, and countries ban silencers altogether, and because many paintball gun suppressors can be used for firearms as well, they too may be illegal in your area. Check your municipality's, state's, and country's laws on this matter before proceeding."

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Close.   Other than "Form1", only a Class-II manufacturer (a FFL holder licensed as a "Manufacture of Firearms" or Type-07 license that has paid a Special Occupational Tax Stamp or SOT) can manufacture NFA firearms (other than destructive devices) tax free, but they pay a larger annual tax which ranges from $500 to $1000 to cover manufacturing.

Offline roamer_1

People are being slaughtered in school and work ... innocent people just living what we call "everyday life".  And people are rightfully scared and fed up.

Proponents who believe individual rights means unrestricted gun ownership should have an answer for those asking why your gun ownership rights can so freely intrude on an individual's right to life.

Gun activists might do better if they find their humanity before shooting off another kneejerk reply to proposed gun restrictions.

Merely succumbing to media propaganda.
Look up how many times firearms are successfully used in defense annually - a number that dwarfs all use of firearms to commit murder/suicide - Nearly by an order of magnitude.

Trading all those defenses to put up barriers to criminals in the form of gun control - barriers that the criminals themselves ignore - is simply preposterous.

Gun ownership should be encouraged, not curtailed.
That IS humanity.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:29:21 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

I think that you may have lost your focus.

All kinds of terrible tragedies occur, virtually every day of the week, somewhere.

It is never government's job to prevent all tragedies (for to do that, all liberty would be lost).

There are a couple of sayings, as crude as they may be, that describe reality:
1.  Shit happens.
2.  Life isn't fair.

Using your logic ("... rights can so freely intrude on an individual's right to life."), you imply that rights need to be curtailed so as to not 'intrude' on others' lives.

What happens when some deranged person runs their 5 ton box truck (or even an everyday sedan) onto a crowded sidewalk and kills many?  I am sure that you would NOT support curbing everyone's ability of own and operate a 5 ton box truck (or even an everyday sedan) because one random individual killed many with it?

Same here.  It is not government's role to take away any of our liberties because of the action of a random individual.

Offline Victoria33

Merely succumbing to media propaganda. Look up how many times firearms are successfully used in defense annually - a number that dwarfs all use of firearms to commit murder/suicide - Nearly by an order of magnitude. Trading all those defenses to put up barriers to criminals in the form of gun control - barriers that the criminals themselves ignore - is simply preposterous.
Gun ownership should be encouraged, not curtailed. That IS humanity.
@roamer_1

Well, that person, supposed to be a conservative preserving individual rights, wanting weapons to be taken away, doesn't get it that if someone working at that building had a weapon, the killer would have been killed right away.

Another stupid non-thinking thing is a sign on the door of a business saying, "No weapons allowed".  CVS put up those signs a year or so ago, and I will never enter one. Law abiding people will honor a rule/law, bad guys never- ever- forever- will.

Offline skeeter

I feel compassion for the obese but will still reject any solution to obesity that involves banning cutlery.

Because I refuse to accept the left’s flawed and self serving premise does not mean I lack humanity.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:57:23 pm by skeeter »