Author Topic: It’s Time For The Supreme Court To Make States Stop Ignoring The Second Amendment  (Read 12004 times)

Offline thackney

You don't support the Second as I know it.  You want registration (licensing) and government mandated insurance.  IOW, a weapon is no different than a car.  What you call "reasonable regulation" I call infringing upon the right.

Owning a car does not require registration or insurance.  Driving it on public roads makes that a requirement.  Keeping a collectible in your garage or a hunting off-road truck requires neither registration or insurance.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In other words, you don’t know.  You just believe it because you so badly want it to be true.
Ahem

You still haven't answered my question.

Simply enough, there is not only nothing in the Constitution which says mothers have the right to murder their babies in utero,
there is nothing in the supporting writings about the Constitution so much as implying such a 'right'.

It is of whole cloth, cut from the black robes of five justices. Not one damned thing Constitutional about it.

However, the Founders wrote often of the sanctity of Life, especially the unalienable rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness....but nowhere did they say you could murder innocents along the way. In fact, they went to great extremes to protect the innocent, willing to suffer, as it were, to let guilty parties go free rather than hang one innocent person.

How any group of judges, acting on the erroneous (or falsified) material presented by a law clerk, could find in perfect contravention to those stated philosophies that anyone had a right to murder babies in utero defies anything approaching even legal logic.

By the selfsame token, there was a great deal of discussion about arms, the right to keep and bear them, spelled out in the Federalist and elsewhere, for the purpose of securing the State against invasion, against tyranny, for securing the safety of self, family, property, and community. The groundwork is well laid, and the Amendment clear, that the Right of The People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.
If that Right is indeed of the People (as stated), it should not pass from them when they cross any boundary within the United States.
To imply that the States, who ratified or signed on to the compact between the People and the Federal Government need not abide by that compact, is disingenuous. Shall they also only abide only by odd numbered articles on odd numbered days, and even numbered ones on even numbered days, or perhaps leave the choice to lot, or the roll of dice?

Abide by the agreement or not, in or out, half measures do not a nation make.

If upon entering statehood, a state decided to subvert the very nature of our country, what purpose other than to suck the benefits from the rest while not affording such to their own citizens?

In reality, after the 17th Amendment, the States lost much of their representation in Congress, while bribes of funding undercut much of the rest, but that is another discussion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

Ahem

You still haven't answered my question.

Simply enough, there is not only nothing in the Constitution which says mothers have the right to murder their babies in utero,
there is nothing in the supporting writings about the Constitution so much as implying such a 'right'.

It is of whole cloth, cut from the black robes of five justices. Not one damned thing Constitutional about it.

However, the Founders wrote often of the sanctity of Life, especially the unalienable rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness....but nowhere did they say you could murder innocents along the way. In fact, they went to great extremes to protect the innocent, willing to suffer, as it were, to let guilty parties go free rather than hang one innocent person.

How any group of judges, acting on the erroneous (or falsified) material presented by a law clerk, could find in perfect contravention to those stated philosophies that anyone had a right to murder babies in utero defies anything approaching even legal logic.

By the selfsame token, there was a great deal of discussion about arms, the right to keep and bear them, spelled out in the Federalist and elsewhere, for the purpose of securing the State against invasion, against tyranny, for securing the safety of self, family, property, and community. The groundwork is well laid, and the Amendment clear, that the Right of The People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.
If that Right is indeed of the People (as stated), it should not pass from them when they cross any boundary within the United States.
To imply that the States, who ratified or signed on to the compact between the People and the Federal Government need not abide by that compact, is disingenuous. Shall they also only abide only by odd numbered articles on odd numbered days, and even numbered ones on even numbered days, or perhaps leave the choice to lot, or the roll of dice?

Abide by the agreement or not, in or out, half measures do not a nation make.

If upon entering statehood, a state decided to subvert the very nature of our country, what purpose other than to suck the benefits from the rest while not affording such to their own citizens?

In reality, after the 17th Amendment, the States lost much of their representation in Congress, while bribes of funding undercut much of the rest, but that is another discussion.

There sure is:  the same thing that says the second amendment applies to the states:  substantive due process. 

If you don’t like Roe v. Wade, then you are necessarily committed to the position that McDonald was wrongly decided and that the second amendment does not apply to the states. 

You can’t have it both ways and not be a lawless hypocrite. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There sure is:  the same thing that says the second amendment applies to the states:  substantive due process. 

If you don’t like Roe v. Wade, then you are necessarily committed to the position that McDonald was wrongly decided and that the second amendment does not apply to the states. 

You can’t have it both ways and not be a lawless hypocrite.

That's an interesting line of reasoning:  One cannot be against Roe v Wade and for the 2nd Amendment at the same time.  Let's see how many you can persuade with that argument.   :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

That's an interesting line of reasoning:  One cannot be against Roe v Wade and for the 2nd Amendment at the same time.  Let's see how many you can persuade with that argument.   :pondering:

I don’t expect to convince anyone here - they’ve all made up their minds based on their subjective desires.  That doesn’t change the fact that the two sit on the same foundation. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don’t expect to convince anyone here - they’ve all made up their minds based on their subjective desires.  That doesn’t change the fact that the two sit on the same foundation.

How difficult it must be...posting on a forum clear full of hypocritical morons who won't be convinced reasonable gun restrictions are a wonderful thing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
You don't support the Second as I know it.  You want registration (licensing) and government mandated insurance.  IOW, a weapon is no different than a car.  What you call "reasonable regulation" I call infringing upon the right.

Your quarrel is with Justice Scalia,  who acknowledged that the individual RKBA found in Heller is subject to reasonable regulation.   I support registration, licensure and insurance as reasonable, efficacious regulation that does not, as a Constitutional matter,  rise to the level of an unlawful infringement.  What I oppose is arbitrary bans on entire classifications of useful firearms (such as semi-automatic arms) and accessories.   

My view is own whatever and how many guns you want,  so long as they are registered and insured.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
How difficult it must be...posting on a forum clear full of hypocritical morons who won't be convinced reasonable gun restrictions are a wonderful thing.

All individual rights under the Constitution are subject to reasonable regulation and limitation.   You seem to think guns are uniquely protected from such regulation; they're not.   

Folks like @skeeter keep pointing to the rights of states under the 10th amendment.   He thinks that the states can choose to restrict abortion under the 10th amendment.   If he's right, then the same goes for guns.   How can it be otherwise?   

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Your quarrel is with Justice Scalia,  who acknowledged that the individual RKBA found in Heller is subject to reasonable regulation.   I support registration, licensure and insurance as reasonable, efficacious regulation that does not, as a Constitutional matter,  rise to the level of an unlawful infringement.  What I oppose is arbitrary bans on entire classifications of useful firearms (such as semi-automatic arms) and accessories.   

My view is own whatever and how many guns you want,  so long as they are registered and insured.

And I think I'd rather not give the government a handy list of what I own.  Governments tend to use those lists when they decide the public is too stupid to be armed.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Rights for me and rights for thee.   Are BC and me really the only two here who believe that?   

Bill Cipher

If you say so.  I suppose as an admin you can get away with categorical personal insults like that.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Rights for me and rights for thee.   Are BC and me really the only two here who believe that?

Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

All individual rights under the Constitution are subject to reasonable regulation and limitation.   You seem to think guns are uniquely protected from such regulation; they're not.   

Folks like @skeeter keep pointing to the rights of states under the 10th amendment.   He thinks that the states can choose to restrict abortion under the 10th amendment.   If he's right, then the same goes for guns.   How can it be otherwise?   

I'm just a stupid non-lawyer who believes a contemporary & controversial right found swirling inside 'penumbras and emanations' 50 years ago is in no way equivalent to a specific liberty clearly enumerated in the Constitution from the very start in plain english.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:42:52 pm by skeeter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm just a stupid non-lawyer who believes a contemporary & controversial right found swirling inside 'penumbras and emanations' 50 years ago is in no way equivalent to a specific liberty clearly enumerated in the Constitution from the very start in plain english.

As an aside, @skeeter, I apologize for lumping you in with the rest of us morons.   888mouth
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

As an aside, @skeeter, I apologize for lumping you in with the rest of us morons.   888mouth

Don't mention it. I'm happy to be not as astute as they are.

Bill Cipher

Would you do your own open heart surgery, or go to the barber because, well, he’s got sharp tools and knows how to cut, or would you go to a heart surgeon?

Maybe working with the law is something similar?   Just a thought. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Would you do your own open heart surgery, or go to the barber because, well, he’s got sharp tools and knows how to cut, or would you go to a heart surgeon?

I got full custody of my son filing In Pro Per.... :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Both rights are "controversial",  because the tendency to want to deprive others of their rights is shared by both right and left, as well as the tendency to protect ferociously those rights that are important to ourselves personally.   Both right and left, IOW,  promote rights for me but not for thee and refuse to see the hypocrisy.    But there's another position - to respect and reasonably regulate BOTH the individual gun right and the individual choice right.   Certainly conservatives should be sensitive to the protection of individual liberty from encroachment by majorities.   

Offline skeeter

I wouldn't hire Michael Avenatti to represent me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:10:16 pm by skeeter »

Offline skeeter

Both rights are "controversial",  because the tendency to want to deprive others of their rights is shared by both right and left, as well as the tendency to protect ferociously those rights that are important to ourselves personally.   Both right and left, IOW,  promote rights for me but not for thee and refuse to see the hypocrisy.    But there's another position - to respect and reasonably regulate BOTH the individual gun right and the individual choice right.   Certainly conservatives should be sensitive to the protection of individual liberty from encroachment by majorities.

I fundamentally disagree with your first sentence. The right to keep and bear arms is controversial only with totalitarian minded, as it always has been and that remains its raison d'etre.

So we'll go no where with this. You can just write it up to me as being untutored in the art of 'working with the law'.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:17:14 pm by skeeter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Claiming the right to self-defense is equivalent to the right to murder an unborn baby is a pretty tough sell.  Good luck with that.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I fundamentally disagree with your first sentence. The right to keep and bear arms is controversial only with totalitarian minded, as it always has been and remains its raison d'etre.

I disagree with that too.

So we'll go no where with this. You can just write it up to me as being untutored in the art of 'working with the law'.

There's "legal" and there's "moral."  These discussions throw that contrast in sharp relief.  Standing on judicial precedent to justify immoral acts is pretty thin ice for the legalists to stand upon.  To draw an equivalence is to say self-defense is as immoral as aborting a baby or driving on a street without a license.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Claiming the right to self-defense is equivalent to the right to murder an unborn baby is a pretty tough sell.  Good luck with that.

You put the rabbit in the hat framing the comparison that way.   As I've said many times before -  feel free to advance your own moral view of the matter.  Just don't conscript the State to force your morality on others.   Women don't abort unless they feel they have no other choice.  It's a bad choice.   The solution without trampling liberty is to minimize unplanned pregnancies,  and to provide support for women in crisis. 

And it's a pretty tough sell to brand women as "murderers".    How many women do you expect to listen to you after you hang that label on them? 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I fundamentally disagree with your first sentence. The right to keep and bear arms is controversial only with totalitarian minded, as it always has been and that remains its raison d'etre.

I support your right to keep and bear arms.    What I support is licensure and registration.   Do that, and as far as I'm concerned you can have all the toys you want.   

Bill Cipher

I wouldn't hire Michael Avenatti to represent me.

Neither would I.  I also wouldn’t hire a heart surgeon who has a long disciplinary record, either.  Due diligence is something that can be done without a degree in the field.