Author Topic: June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico  (Read 6185 times)

Online libertybele

Reading through the replies it appears many in favor of stopping the invasion on our Southern border should consider a run for Congress.  They can raise the proverbial sword of Damocles during the campaign, but once elected these same few could block initiatives to make an end run around the courts and actually do something.  It's a natural fit.

???? What ??? Gee, seems to me DJT PROMISED his supporters that he would build a big beautiful wall and Mexico was going to pay for it!!!  So .... it appears that his supporters still refuse to believe that they've been duped!!!

Still waiting for his supporters explanation as to why he waited to take action on the border until after the GOP house majority was lost AND why he signed a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier??? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

On top of that, the USMCA seems to be poised to benefit Mexico and Canada, more than the USA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/10/01/comparison-nafta-and-usmca-trade-agreements/1487163002/

As I've, predicted before; Get ready for a North American Union and a Superhighway joining the U.S., Mexico and Canada.  Trump and cronies will profit handsomely as well as some of those in Congress. 

I know that this is going to come as a shock to his supporters, (reality check) but Trump NEVER intended to build a wall; that was only a campaign promise to get him elected and to stop a true conservative from being seated in the oval office.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
For cripes' sake, it's too damned early for such ginned up hyperbole.

Last night, just hours after the President's tweet, Mexico requested a meeting for today with the administration to discuss how best to prevent the tariffs. 

“Mexico’s President Lopez Obrador asks Trump to have U.S. officials meet with the Mexican foreign minister in Washington on Friday to seek a solution that benefits both nations,” Reuters reported via twitter.

It appears the President now has Mexico's undivided attention.  (This is good news)

Yes and he’s had China’s attention with the tariffs for over a year, now. Plus, he still believes China pays them and it’s good.

For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars....

11:08 AM · May 5, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

@libertybele
@edpc
Here is the Forbes article about tariffs (include a Mexico tariff as it works the same way with any country).  Consider the rest in quotes:

China Trade War: What Is A Tariff And Who Pays It?

Earlier this month, President Trump escalated his trade war with China by announcing 10 percent tariffs on an additional $200 billion in Chinese imports—which took effect yesterday. But he showed a troubling lack of understanding about how the levies work. Pointing to earlier import duties he imposed, Trump bragged that “China is paying us billions of dollars in tariffs.” Treasury, he added, is collecting “tremendous amounts of money, which is great for our country.”

Where to begin?
What is a tariff?
A tariff is a tax on imported goods. Despite what the president says, it is almost always paid directly by the importer (usually a domestic firm), and never by the exporting country. Thus, if the U.S. imposes a tariff on Chinese televisions, the duty is paid to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service at the border by a U.S. broker representing a U.S. importer, say, Costco.

The Chinese government pays nothing, just as the U.S. government pays no tax to Canada for that nation’s tariffs on imported dairy products. Rather, an importer or supplier for a Canadian supermarket pays the duty on Wisconsin cheese that lands in the grocer’s dairy counter (though I suspect few Canadian retailers are selling much U.S. cheese these days, given the recent unpleasantness between the two countries).

Who actually pays the tariff?
OK, so the importer remits the tariff to its nation’s customs service, but who really pays the tax on imported goods? The answer, I am sorry to say is, it depends. A business will, if it can, pass its higher after-tax costs on to consumers. Thus, the price of Chinese TVs sold in the U.S. may rise rapidly. But the firms selling those TVs eventually will face competition from companies that sell lower-cost TVs made in a third country that is not subject to the import tax. In that case, some of the tax may be paid by the firm’s shareholders in the form of lower profits or by its workers in the form of lower compensation.

Or, the firm may switch to a non-Chinese supplier and, in effect, nobody will pay the tariff. Still, demand for imported goods subject to the tax won’t go to zero right away—so the government will collect some revenue from the import tax. That’s what the president was bragging about.

Adam Smith explains.
There is lots of economic theory about the effect of tariffs on consumption and prices. After all, tariffs are hardly new and economists since Adam Smith have been writing about their problems  for centuries.
In the short run, higher prices for imported goods will reduce consumption of those goods. But in the longer term, the decline in competition from foreign products makes domestic firms less efficient. And less competition will result in higher prices, not just for those goods subject to the tariff but for competing goods that are not—such as those made domestically. In the case of Trump’s tariffs on China, that means U.S. consumers will pay somewhat higher prices. Thus, not only will the price of Chinese TVs rise, but so will the price of Mexican TVs and US-made TVs (yes, there still are a few).

In the case of Trump’s tariffs, U.S. prices will rise but not by much and US demand will decline but not by much. Chinese exports to the U.S. will fall but most likely be replaced by imports from producers of competing products in other countries.

Will Trump’s new tariffs generate a big boost in federal revenue?
The short answer is: No.
Import taxes are a trivial share of federal revenue and, even with Trump’s new tariffs, they will remain insignificant. The president says the U.S. has collected about $22 billion since his first round of tariffs earlier this year. That may be high. But even if it isn’t, keep in mind that the government expects to collect $2.4 trillion in tax revenue in 2018--making $22 billion loose change in the fiscal sofa cushions.

Worse, the new revenue is likely to be temporary as U.S. importers and sellers find suppliers not subject to the tariff. Unfortunately, the tax on consumers in the form of those higher prices is less likely to disappear.
Once, tariffs were an important source of federal taxes. Before the civil war, they represented nearly 90% of federal revenue. But that share fell as the U.S. began exporting many of its own goods overseas and began to reach agreements with importing countries to reduce their tariffs on American products.

By 1915, less than one-third of federal revenue came from customs duties. Increasingly, revenue was collected from the modern income tax that had been enacted just a few years earlier. After World War II, tariffs become a tiny source of US tax revenue. In 2016, import duties made up only about 1% of tax collections. Worldwide, tariffs represent only about 3.5% of government revenue.

There may be other fiscal effects for the U.S., however. A substantial decline in Chinese exports to the U.S. will drive down the value of the Chinese currency. That will offset some of the after-tax price of Chinese-made goods in the U.S. But any lost exports still mean China will collect fewer U.S. dollars and thus buy fewer Treasury securities. That, in turn, will tend to drive up interest rates in the U.S.

So at the margin at least, taxing imports will drive up prices for U.S. consumers and eventually may raise borrowing costs. Future effects are hard to predict, but no, Mr. President, China is not paying the U.S. billions of dollars in tariffs. Not any more than Mexico is paying for that wall.

I am a senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center as well as an analyst on aging and retirement policy. I'm the author of the book "Caring for Our Parents."

Howard Gleckman
Senior Contributor

rangerrebew

Trump announces new Mexican tariffs in response to migrants
By JILL COLVIN and COLLEEN LONGtoday

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a surprise announcement that could derail a major trade deal, President Donald Trump announced Thursday that he is slapping a 5% tariff on all Mexican imports, effective June 10, to pressure the country to do more to crack down on the surge of Central American migrants trying to cross the U.S. border.

He said the percentage will gradually increase — up to 25% — “until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied.”

The decision showed the administration going to new lengths, and looking for new levers, to pressure Mexico to take action — even if those risk upending other policy priorities, like the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, a trade deal that is the cornerstone of Trump’s legislative agenda and seen as beneficial to his reelection effort. It also risks further damaging the already strained relationship between the U.S. and Mexico, two countries whose economics are deeply intertwined.

https://www.apnews.com/afec271c5f9c4fdb82f57b48cb593add

Offline kevindavis007

As I've, predicted before; Get ready for a North American Union and a Superhighway joining the U.S., Mexico and Canada.  Trump and cronies will profit handsomely as well as some of those in Congress. 

I know that this is going to come as a shock to his supporters, (reality check) but Trump NEVER intended to build a wall; that was only a campaign promise to get him elected and to stop a true conservative from being seated in the oval office.

Two things:

1. There will be never a North America Union.
2. There is nothing wrong with a super highway.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

For cripes' sake, it's too damned early for such ginned up hyperbole.

Last night, just hours after the President's tweet, Mexico requested a meeting for today with the administration to discuss how best to prevent the tariffs. 

“Mexico’s President Lopez Obrador asks Trump to have U.S. officials meet with the Mexican foreign minister in Washington on Friday to seek a solution that benefits both nations,” Reuters reported via twitter.

It appears the President now has Mexico's undivided attention.  (This is good news)

And this meeting, like Trump's meetings with Putin and Kim, will just be show with no real resolution of problems. But Trump will snow his followers into believing that all is well because he obtained certain "assurances" from Mexico, which -- if indeed there are any assurances or promises -- will be blown off by the Mexican president the moment he is out of Trump's presence. 

The only question I have is whether, after this meeting, will Trump praise the Mexican president as an honorable man or some such and count him as another BFF  like Putin and Kim.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:03:31 pm by Applewood »

Online corbe

At least he discarded that ridiculous idea, announced just last month, that he was gonna give Mexico a year to get their $hit together on Immigration.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

In order not to pay Tariffs, if they start rising, companies will leave Mexico, which has taken 30% of our Auto Industry, and come back home to the USA. Mexico must take back their country from the drug lords and cartels. The Tariff is about stopping drugs as well as illegals!

7:27 AM - 31 May 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1134466523114999809

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@libertybele
@edpc
Here is the Forbes article about tariffs (include a Mexico tariff as it works the same way with any country).  Consider the rest in quotes:

China Trade War: What Is A Tariff And Who Pays It?

Need a link. Have we stopped excerpts?

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

When I was a Republican I thought President Clinton bombed an aspirin factory to take the headlines off Monica Lewinsky’s testimony.  I thought President Clinton believed President Clinton was so important it didn't matter who President Clinton hurt if it helped President Clinton.

I think Trump is like that too.

Offline Night Hides Not

???? What ??? Gee, seems to me DJT PROMISED his supporters that he would build a big beautiful wall and Mexico was going to pay for it!!!  So .... it appears that his supporters still refuse to believe that they've been duped!!!

Still waiting for his supporters explanation as to why he waited to take action on the border until after the GOP house majority was lost AND why he signed a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier???

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, @libertybele . Besides, from what I've read, less than 50 miles of new fence has been built, the rest of it are repairs to old fence.

After Kim executed his envoy, I'll bet the WH staff is really, really nervous. They know how the President relates to Putin, Kim, and other bad guys.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online libertybele

At least he discarded that ridiculous idea, announced just last month, that he was gonna give Mexico a year to get their $hit together on Immigration.

Well at least he didn't disappoint by NOT keeping his word as usual -- we can almost count on it these days!

Online libertybele

Two things:

1. There will be never a North America Union.
2. There is nothing wrong with a super highway.

We shall see.  The NAU has been in the works for quite some time, so much so, that Dr. Ron Paul introduced a bill before Congress to prevent it.  The Trumps and their cronies would dramatically profit.  The Superhighway would connect Mexico, the U.S. and Canada -- I don't see that as a good thing; certainly it would affect the sovereignty of our country.  The crisis at the border is politically motivated and there is a reason Trump hasn't acted till now. It was never his intent to build a wall; the intent was to profit off of a union with Mexico and Canada.  ILLEGALS coming across represent a labor force, as Trump stated not too long ago. Sure we can sit back and watch them all play the blame game; but I believe all of this has been well orchestrated, long before Trump was inserted into the equation to run for President.

I have no doubt that the Clintons and Pelosi's would profit as well. 

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, @libertybele . Besides, from what I've read, less than 50 miles of new fence has been built, the rest of it are repairs to old fence.

Just think how bad it would be without those 50 miles.  #FinishTheWall

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,363420.msg1980718.html
Border Patrol Sees 'Busiest' Day Arresting Migrants On Memorial Day

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

In order not to pay Tariffs, if they start rising, companies will leave Mexico, which has taken 30% of our Auto Industry, and come back home to the USA. Mexico must take back their country from the drug lords and cartels. The Tariff is about stopping drugs as well as illegals!

7:27 AM - 31 May 2019

Is he certain about that? Just recently, he said the tariffs on China would make companies leave for places like Vietnam.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online libertybele

After Kim executed his envoy, I'll bet the WH staff is really, really nervous. They know how the President relates to Putin, Kim, and other bad guys.

Yes, it is my understanding that a bill was signed while lyin' Ryan was Speaker was that no monies would go to additional fencing only repairs.  Not a whole lot has changed since then other than the fact that Trump signed a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier.  The only thing that has transpired is Trump making it look like the DEMS are the obstructionists.  Trump knew it was going to happen, otherwise he would have taken action back when Ryan was still in office -- the only thing he did was agree to no new fencing a long time ago --- here we sit.

BTW the private donations that were raised to erect a fence has been halted, the group received a cease and desist order from a federal judge.

Offline Applewood

@Once-Ler

I was always told by Trump fans that Trump is not a politician.  But he is in that he only really cares about people when he's running for office.  Any other time all he cares about is himself.  This is what politicians do. They promise the moon when they are running for office, but once they get in, the promises are forgotten. 

Trump wasted his whole first term in office, particularly the first couple of years when he had a Republican majority in both houses of C congress.  Now that he has lost the house ,may well lose the senate and wants to run for a second term, he is making noises like he's really going to do something about the promises he made when he was running for his first term.   Only what he has been doing has been largely unsuccessful and particularly in the case of his trade war, about to destroy us.

Online libertybele

Just think how bad it would be without those 50 miles.  #FinishTheWall

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,363420.msg1980718.html
Border Patrol Sees 'Busiest' Day Arresting Migrants On Memorial Day

The group who took up private donations and has started to build; that project has been halted by a cease and desist order. 

Yes, 50 miles is 50 miles that we didn't have before.  I get that.  The wall will never be completed because of the bill that Trump signed allowing states to opt out of a border --- that's what people don't realize and his supporters refuse to acknowledge.

Online libertybele

@Once-Ler

I was always told by Trump fans that Trump is not a politician.  But he is in that he only really cares about people when he's running for office.  Any other time all he cares about is himself.  This is what politicians do. They promise the moon when they are running for office, but once they get in, the promises are forgotten. 

Trump wasted his whole first term in office, particularly the first couple of years when he had a Republican majority in both houses of C congress.  Now that he has lost the house ,may well lose the senate and wants to run for a second term, he is making noises like he's really going to do something about the promises he made when he was running for his first term.   Only what he has been doing has been largely unsuccessful and particularly in the case of his trade war, about to destroy us.

Exactly. 

The group who took up private donations and has started to build; that project has been halted by a cease and desist order. 

Yes, 50 miles is 50 miles that we didn't have before.  I get that.  The wall will never be completed because of the bill that Trump signed allowing states to opt out of a border --- that's what people don't realize and his supporters refuse to acknowledge.

@libertybele
I couldn't agree more.  Sorry I should have included a sarcasm tag with that last post.  The point I failed to make was Trump is failing spectacularly on the border.  He has made the problem worse with threats and promises he can't fulfill. 

Offline jpsb

Let's say it costs $1,000 dollars to build a widget in Mexico. Building that same widget in the USA costs $2,000
dues to higher labor rates and environment related rules.  Now who in their right mind would ever buy the Made In
USA widget? So Mexico makes all the widgets, gets all the widget making jobs and Mexico get all the US money.
This is not at all good for the US economy but there is something the USA can do. The USA can put a tariff on
Mexican widgets so Mexican Widgets cost about as much as US widgets. Leveling the playing field so to speak. It
is what just about every other country does to our widgets so I am fine with using tariffs to gain a desired goal.

Those that only care about themselves and do not care about the country will say why should I pay $2,000 when
I could pay $1,000.  Back in the day the US knew tariffs were a good thing for the country and it's citizens. "If we
make IT here, we will have IT and we will have the money too".

@Once-Ler

Trump wasted his whole first term in office, particularly the first couple of years when he had a Republican majority in both houses of C congress.  Now that he has lost the house ,may well lose the senate and wants to run for a second term, he is making noises like he's really going to do something about the promises he made when he was running for his first term.   Only what he has been doing has been largely unsuccessful and particularly in the case of his trade war, about to destroy us.

@Applewood
Agreed and worth a second read through. goopo