Author Topic: Here’s the damage done to the stock market since Trump’s May 5 trade tweet  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Applewood

Here’s the damage done to the stock market since Trump’s May 5 trade tweet

The bullish dynamic for risk assets on Wall Street is beginning to unravel, clearly. Blame it on trade-war fears, at least partly sparked by a May 5 tweet from President Donald Trump, or peg it to worries that the global economy is facing a pronounced slowdown. In any case, major assets are reflecting deepening concerns about the durability of bull run for stocks, which will mark its 10th year in about a month.

Excerpt.  Read more at:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-the-damage-done-to-the-stock-market-since-trumps-may-5-trade-tweet-2019-05-29?mod=mw_theo_homepage&mod=mw_theo_homepage&mod=mw_theo_homepage&mod=mw_theo_homepage

Ok.  Waiting for scoffing by Trump fans in 3...2...1...  But note that this "trade war" is adversely affecting other aspects of the market and the global economy too.  If you think your nest egg is ok because you aren't  heavily invested in stocks, think again.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Jeez, not this sh** again.

This is what, the third or fourth time the media has went into a meltdown panic because the market dropped?

We just rallied to new highs a couple of weeks ago, this is just minor profit taking at this point.

But hey, cry wolf again.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

That didn't take long.  LOL

Guys, you can bury your heads in the sand and praise Almighty Trump for his "stable genius," as your investments swirl the bowl.   I really don't care. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
We're literally down 6% from the all time highs. Time to jump out the windows.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Absalom

The Crony Capitalist fan club will wail whenever
their Icon, the Dow, farts/sneezes/yawns.
No shock, as the only interest of materialists
is greed for all eternity.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Guys, you can bury your heads in the sand and praise Almighty Trump for his "stable genius," as your investments swirl the bowl.   I really don't care.
So your personal TDS requires that you connect the market, to him?

Funny thing I learned decades ago: markets go up and down. Expansions do end.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:05:25 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online berdie

The Crony Capitalist fan club will wail whenever
their Icon, the Dow, farts/sneezes/yawns.
No shock, as the only interest of materialists
is greed for all eternity.

I was about to compliment you on another thread about how much I enjoy your historical posts.

But this one has left me confounded. Greed? Materialism? Really?

Offline Applewood

So your personal TDS requires that you connect the marker, to him?

Not saying anything.  Those who know the markets and the economy are. But your personal Trump cult worship blinds you to the warnings.

Like I said, fine with me if you and the rest of the Trump cult keep your heads in the sand.  I just don 't want to hear any of you  crying the blues to me later. when you end up in the poorhouse  I will be busy trying to come up with money to live on myself after my retirement nest egg goes belly up and the economy ends up in the crapper.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:42:36 pm by Applewood »

Online berdie

So your personal TDS requires that you connect the marker, to him?

I don't tie anything to Trump.  But he sure does.

I agree...the market goes up and down. It's a scary ride. But what alternative do retirees have that can keep up with inflation? Interest rates are pretty low.

BTW...any market crash can be blamed on me. happy77 I retired in Oct of last year...so the fault lies at my door.

Online berdie

Not saying anything.  Those who know the markets and the economy are. But your personal Trump cult worship blinds you to the warnings.

Like I said, fine with me if you and the rest of the Trump cult keep your heads in the sand.  I just don 't want to hear any of you  crying the blues to me later. when you end up in the poorhouse  I will be busy trying to come up with money to live on myself after my retirement nest egg goes belly up and the economy ends up in the crapper.

Try not to worry @Applewood . It will most likely come back up...for a while unless we get in some kind of peeing contest with China and lose.

Myself, I moved most of my money to cash about 6 weeks ago. I'm not really too risk tolerant at this stage of my life. The worry about the market has out paced my worry about running out of money.  But that's just me.

Offline Applewood

Try not to worry @Applewood . It will most likely come back up...for a while unless we get in some kind of peeing contest with China and lose.

Myself, I moved most of my money to cash about 6 weeks ago. I'm not really too risk tolerant at this stage of my life. The worry about the market has out paced my worry about running out of money.  But that's just me.

We are already in a peeing contest with China and a lot of us are losing.

I have more than just stocks, and I have CDs in the bank.  And what this article and others are saying is that everything -- not just stocks --  is being adversely affected by this trade war.  Or if it isn't now, sooner or later it will be. 

There have been times when I thought about taking all of my money and putting it under the mattress.  But with the feds printing money with nothing to back it, eventually, whatever cash I have will be worthless too. 

Anyway, I'm glad you are doing what you believe is best for you. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

You are proving your ignorance of what investments really are by trumpeting such garbage.

Never own an investment if all you care about is a few days, weeks or even months.

That is not investing.  And you need to stop peddling it as such.

And my own investments are fine during the past 2 1/2 years. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Dow Jones - DJIA - 100 Year Historical Chart

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Thanks.  I was going to go looking for an S&P chart for the past 30 years or so, but that will do nicely.  If the markets fall by about 50%, they'll be all the way down to the highs of the last two bubbles. 

When this bubble blows, it won't be because of Trump, or the Fed, or a butterfly in India.  It will be because the markets will eventually return to reflecting the underlying economy they are based on.

Seriously, during the 0 years the markets roughly doubled (that would be an average of 9% yearly returns) while GDP never grew by 3%?  I get that they may have been abnormally cheap at the start due to the crash, but I'm just not buying it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

It's not just you.  I got out a few years ago.  Missed out on some gains, but I don't regret it a bit.  At this point, I can afford missing out.  I can't afford a correction.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online libertybele

We're literally down 6% from the all time highs. Time to jump out the windows.

Futures are way down as Trump just announced a tariff on Mexico. Get ready.  We're going to be wishing for that 6%.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

@EdJames

Who is that in your avatar?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@EdJames

Who is that in your avatar?

FYI,
Once-ler's sister.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Futures are way down as Trump just announced a tariff on Mexico. Get ready.  We're going to be wishing for that 6%.

We're now down 6.5%.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Absalom

I was about to compliment you on another thread about how much I enjoy your historical posts.
But this one has left me confounded. Greed? Materialism? Really?
------------------------------
Thank you for the compliment, yet permit me to support my assertion.
As 500 AD approached, the Roman Empire had just collapsed and the
Province of Gaul had became France, under the Frankish King, Covis I.
Over the next 1300 years, the Estates General ruled that nation, the First
comprising the Monarchy and RC Church, the Second, the heredity Nobility
while the Third comprised the agrarian landholders and their peasantry.
As the centuries passed, the first two exempted themselves from all taxation
leaving that vast burden on the poorest; some 98% of the population.
This was the core reason for the ferocity of the French Revolution which
killed tens of thousands of the Clergy, Nobility, as well as the Royal Family.
That Revolution transformed France, ushering in the Enlightenment but it
also did something else, not recognized at the time.
Prior to 1700, betterment/progress was largely measured in spiritual terms
but scientific experimentation across Europe, had advanced Man's awareness
and knowledge of the possible; creating a notion of material/secular progress
as a good in and of itself. In effect, it opened the door to Capitalism.
Is the world better off for this sea change in tone and temperament???
One way to measure betterment is by the quality of Art a culture/society produces.
Assess the Literature of Shakespeare, the Music of Franz Jozef Haydn, the
Paintings in the Sistine Chapel of Michelangelo as well as the Parthenon in Athens
of Phidias and the Pantheon in Rome of Agrippa, as all were created prior to Capitalism.
What Art has modern Man produced that remotely equals the genius of these???

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:14:56 pm by Absalom »

Remotely equal to Shakespeare?  Easy enough.  Andrew "Dice" Clay, Spider Robinson, that yutz from U2.

Offline Applewood

And by the way, this morning the Dow dropped around 300 points, thanks in part to Trump's announced intention  to impose higher tarriffs on Mexico.

Isn't it nice to have someone in the White House who, on a whim, could wipe us all out financially?

Isn't it nice to have someone in the White House who, on a whim, could wipe us all out financially?
A lie.  Most of us are doing just fine as we plan for the long term and save or invest accordingly.

For those who do not, I see no reason to believe this is a 'wipe out'.  If it is, is your own fault for not handling your own money appropriately.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

And by the way, this morning the Dow dropped around 300 points, thanks in part to Trump's announced intention  to impose higher tarriffs on Mexico.

You have to keep in mind though that Trump is not out to do damage to his own portfolio; what he intends to do in the long run will only make him richer.

Two things drive the market; fear and greed.  Right now, we are seeing fear.  Having just retired and with most of our life savings invested; yes, this scares the heck out of me.  Should I panic and sell right now??  I don't think so. I have panicked several times in my almost 30 years of investing and each and every time I pulled out of the market I regretted it months later. Not only did I lose time in the market, I lost $$ getting back in and paid dearly in taxes.  No one has a crystal ball of course and we all have to do what we are comfortable with.  Inflation and taxes I think are going to bite hard. It's going to be a downward spiral I think for awhile.  The 2020 election is just around the corner and I think Trump knows if the market continues to tank ... he'll be packing up and moving back to his golden castle.  Speaking of gold, gold is rising which is fine with me.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

You have to keep in mind though that Trump is not out to do damage to his own portfolio; what he intends to do in the long run will only make him richer.

Two things drive the market; fear and greed.  Right now, we are seeing fear.  Having just retired and with most of our life savings invested; yes, this scares the heck out of me.  Should I panic and sell right now??  I don't think so. I have panicked several times in my almost 30 years of investing and each and every time I pulled out of the market I regretted it months later. Not only did I lose time in the market, I lost $$ getting back in and paid dearly in taxes.  No one has a crystal ball of course and we all have to do what we are comfortable with.  Inflation and taxes I think are going to bite hard. It's going to be a downward spiral I think for awhile.  The 2020 election is just around the corner and I think Trump knows if the market continues to tank ... he'll be packing up and moving back to his golden castle.  Speaking of gold, gold is rising which is fine with me.
Prudent behavior, seeking long term investment returns instead of short term.

I have read a number of articles which claim the first several years after retirement one is the most vulnerable since wages are no longer coming in and one is dependent upon an income stream from your savings/investments.  There are a number of actions you can take to prepare for the worst during this time while retaining significant investments for the long term return.