Author Topic: Open Hatch Nearly Sunk India's New $3 Billion Nuclear Missile Submarine  (Read 360 times)

rangerrebew

May 28, 2019

Open Hatch Nearly Sunk India's New $3 Billion Nuclear Missile Submarine

Here is what happened.
by Task and Purpose

It isn't hard to sink a submarine, it would seem.

The modern submarine is not a simple machine. A loss of propulsion, unexpected flooding, or trouble with reactors or weapons can doom a sub crew to a watery grave.

Also, it’s a good idea to, like, close the hatches before you dive.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/open-hatch-nearly-sunk-indias-new-3-billion-nuclear-missile-submarine-59812

rangerrebew

The entire purpose of a carrier is to launch and recover aircraft.  If for any reason it can't do that, it is a floating pile of junk.  The carrier I was on went dead in the water in the Indian Ocean with aircraft still in the air.  Without a primary field being attainable, the secondary field was the ocean.  Engineering got the ship running, at least enough to maintain steering capability which was about 7 knots, and we recovered the aircraft still in the air.  If anything causes the threat of operations on a routine basis, that threat must be taken care of, no matter the cost.  A plane or two in the drink would in all likelihood cost more than the change.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The entire purpose of a carrier is to launch and recover aircraft.  If for any reason it can't do that, it is a floating pile of junk.  The carrier I was on went dead in the water in the Indian Ocean with aircraft still in the air.  Without a primary field being attainable, the secondary field was the ocean.  Engineering got the ship running, at least enough to maintain steering capability which was about 7 knots, and we recovered the aircraft still in the air.  If anything causes the threat of operations on a routine basis, that threat must be taken care of, no matter the cost.  A plane or two in the drink would in all likelihood cost more than the change.

Was that carrier non-nuclear? The last conventionally-powered aircraft carrier left the U.S. fleet as of 12 May 2009, when the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) was deactivated.

Offline thackney

Did you post your comment in the wrong thread?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Many home security systems will show a display of all doors and windows indicating which ones are open and which are closed. Hard to believe a 3 billion dollar sub wouldn't have this ability.

Also, a required check of all hatches and valves is a standard part of dive procedure. This reads like it was a screw up on many several levels. No doubt the C.O. and officers were held responsible. The crew needs training.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.