Author Topic: The John Candy Joke That Still Makes Steve Martin Cry  (Read 999 times)

Offline corbe

The John Candy Joke That Still Makes Steve Martin Cry
« on: May 28, 2019, 10:10:34 pm »
The John Candy Joke That Still Makes Steve Martin Cry

Nick de Semlyen

5 hrs ago

John Candy, Steve Martin are posing for a picture: Paramount/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock© Paramount/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock Paramount/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock

After producing anarchic and explicitly boundary-pushing comedy in the ’70s — early Saturday Night Live, Animal House, the National Lampoon — many of the era’s biggest breakout stars established themselves as the definers of 1980s mainstream comedy films. They refined their styles, toned down their impulses, and appeared in (and often wrote) the decade’s most popular if not definitive movies like Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, and Strange Brew among others. In his new book , author Nick de Semlyen explores the stories behind those movies and the dudes who made them, including Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Rick Moranis, precocious SNL-to-Beverly Hills Cop upstart Eddie Murphy, and Steve Martin.

Maybe the most underrated and low-key comedy icon of the ’80s: SCTV breakout star John Candy. Usually playing nice, friendly guys and gregarious working-class men in Stripes and Spaceballs, he probably turned out his funniest (and most heartbreaking) work in John Hughes’s 1987 road movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Here’s an excerpt from Wild and Crazy Guys on the making of that film.

As a young copywriter in the advertising world, John Hughes had once been dispatched for a one-day business trip from Chicago to New York. It should have been simple. But five days later, he staggered into his house, almost destroyed by a snafu-packed odyssey that had seen him diverted to Phoenix. Hughes turned the trip over in his mind for years, embellishing it and making it even more hellish, finally setting the tale down on paper (with the route reversed) as Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-john-candy-joke-that-still-makes-steve-martin-cry/ar-AAC2zzd?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

Re: The John Candy Joke That Still Makes Steve Martin Cry
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:27:52 am »
One of my favorite movies.  Martin and Candy were brilliant together.  That scene toward the end when Neil Page learns that  Del Griffin's wife "Marie" had died was well done.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:31:28 am »
   It is my ol Lady's favorite movie, Thanksgiving/Christmas tradition, it's still not old to me and incidentally, nor is she.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 12:41:19 am »
I own a copy -- bought it from Amazon Prime.  And yes, I like to play it around the holidays too..  I think last year, one of the cable stations played it for Thanksgiving.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 12:44:31 am »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 12:51:02 am »
See that Bears game last week?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Genius movie.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 01:36:28 am »
I seem to remember the only part I did not like in this movie was the airport scene when Steve Martin puts out a stream of profanity (F words) that seem to never cease....

Some folks found it funny, I just skip it now cause it ain't my can of worms. Rest of the film is just a hoot.

Noticed there is a new movie that is based on another Steve Martin movie (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels). Another great comedy, very witty (older movie). The new movie just pales in comparison.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:38:49 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 01:42:37 am »
At the time this came out our local theater did a Ladies Morning Matinee...9am....My friend and I got the kiddos off to school and headed for the theater...had to get there early as there was always a line of women waiting to get in.

I tell you the movie was so funny and listening to all these women laughing and carrying on was something else....I nearly choked on my popcorn...

Another funny movie we went to see was Raising Arizona which was again hilarious...this is what we did every Tues after we got those kids on the bus..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 01:50:52 am »
BTW... there was one song from the movie (tear jerk section of the movie) that was wonderful. It was never released to the public to buy.... I got a good rip from the movie....

Dream Academy - Power To Believe (Instrumental).mp3
https://mab.to/Rfs2GNLvZ
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 11:09:10 am »
@mystery-ak

Raising Arizona was an odd movie.  Several people I know saw it and didn't like it.  Not me. I loved it.