Author Topic: At least 5 million affected by power outages across Ohio after tornadoes, storms hit state  (Read 702 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Last Update 54 mins ago
At least 5 million affected by power outages across Ohio after tornadoes, storms hit state

By Edmund DeMarche, Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Hours after battening down amid the onslaught of a powerful storm system -- including at least one tornado considered "large and dangerous" -- Ohio residents were faced Tuesday morning with widespread damage and 70,000 power outages, affecting more than five million people and crippling Dayton's ability to pump water.

Pictures posted to social media showed a massive funnel cloud near Trotwood, Ohio, eight miles northwest of Dayton. In its path, the twister left several apartment buildings damaged or destroyed.

Just before midnight, and less than 45 minutes after that tornado cut through, the National Weather Service warned another one was traversing the same path, churning up debris densely enough to be seen on radar.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/large-and-dangerous-tornado-strikes-near-dayton-damage-feared
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
When the derecho moved through Columbus in July 2011, some of my friends were without power for 10 days. That was compounded by the sweltering heat that followed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:48:29 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Praying that all our Ohio members are OK.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

Just saw a headline (no story yet) -- a major twister  on the ground near Kansas City.  Prayers for those folks too.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Just saw a headline (no story yet) -- a major twister  on the ground near Kansas City.  Prayers for those folks too.

It touched down around Lawrence and hit Linwood pretty hard. It was just a few miles west of my place, but luckily, I was in Sioux Falls for work today. The flooding in the I-29 corridor between St Joseph, MO and Omaha is terrible. These guys along the Missouri River can’t get a break from the rain.

Linwood, KS home devastated by tornado 5/28/19.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/tornadoes-kansas-ny/h_6954a5df6da1f094c6bf0e8ee6065862
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:44:05 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Last Update 54 mins ago
At least 5 million affected by power outages across Ohio after tornadoes, storms hit state

By Edmund DeMarche, Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Hours after battening down amid the onslaught of a powerful storm system -- including at least one tornado considered "large and dangerous" -- Ohio residents were faced Tuesday morning with widespread damage and 70,000 power outages, affecting more than five million people and crippling Dayton's ability to pump water.

Pictures posted to social media showed a massive funnel cloud near Trotwood, Ohio, eight miles northwest of Dayton. In its path, the twister left several apartment buildings damaged or destroyed.

Just before midnight, and less than 45 minutes after that tornado cut through, the National Weather Service warned another one was traversing the same path, churning up debris densely enough to be seen on radar.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/large-and-dangerous-tornado-strikes-near-dayton-damage-feared

I've seen this 5 million number a few times.  I have no idea where it came from initially, but I'm in Ohio, and that's nearly half the total population.  And seeing as neither Cincinnati, nor Columbus, nor Cleveland suffered major outages, and that's the south, middle, and north of the state...I think someone got this wrong.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Praying that all our Ohio members are OK.

@musiclady lives in Ohio...she hasn't checked in yet... :0001:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@musiclady lives in Ohio...she hasn't checked in yet... :0001:

She's down by Mansfield.  That's sort of halfway between Cleveland and Columbus -- northern part of the state.  Not aware of any significant outages in that area.

Offline thackney

I've seen this 5 million number a few times.  I have no idea where it came from initially, but I'm in Ohio, and that's nearly half the total population.  And seeing as neither Cincinnati, nor Columbus, nor Cleveland suffered major outages, and that's the south, middle, and north of the state...I think someone got this wrong.

...The NWS reported earlier more than 70,000 power outages across Ohio. The agency initially said 5 million people were affected by the outages, then revised their numbers downward....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

Just guessing here, but maybe that number included other states.  The same weather pattern that caused the tornados in Ohio also caused severe weather in other states.  In western PA, we had 2 small tornados plus several major thunderstorms causing wind damage, power outages and yesterday -- flooding.  Some towns like mine had no damage or outages, but others -- particularly those in low population rural areas -  were devastated.  Not to the same degree as in Ohio or the tornados in Kansas and elsewhere, but still...

As I type this, a storm is raging outside my window.  Ever since Saturday, this town has had at least one or two storms every day.   Enough already!