Author Topic: Purple Hearts Finally Awarded to Coast Guard Crew Killed in World War I  (Read 273 times)

rangerrebew

Purple Hearts Finally Awarded to Coast Guard Crew Killed in World War I

24 May 2019
Military.com | By Richard Sisk

Descendants of the lost crew from the Coast Guard cutter Tampa received the Purple Hearts earned by their relatives in a ceremony Friday, more than a century after the ship went down to a German U-boat's torpedo with all 131 aboard.

The sinking of the Tampa off the coast of Wales at about 8:30 p.m. Sept. 26, 1918, just weeks before the war ended on Nov. 11, represented the single largest loss of life for either the U.S. Coast Guard or Navy in World War I, according to the Coast Guard.
Maximize your VA Loan Benefits Check your VA Loan eligibility and get up to $453K today! Click Here!

Descendants of those lost attended a ceremony at Coast Guard Headquarters in Washington, D.C., where 10 members of the Tampa crew were posthumously awarded the medal.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/05/24/purple-hearts-finally-awarded-coast-guard-crew-killed-world-war-i.html

Offline Rivergirl

Rest in peace heroes.
My hubby's dad served in the first world war.  His sons served in world war two, my hubby served during, not in, Viet Nam.  Our son served during the Clinton administration, supporting the Bosnia mission.  All thankfully survived.   One world war two vet still with us.
And there will be more heroes to come in the near future.
Pray for our country.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I SUSPECT the justification for this is that until recent years the USCG was NOT considered to be a branch of the US military. In FACT,they came under the control of the US Treasury Department.

Which,I guess,makes this the equivalent of giving Purple Hearts to civilians.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!