Author Topic: Riley Howell, the student who died while tackling a gunman, just received a Purple Heart and Bronze  (Read 710 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hope it is true.  I thought the Military would make an announcement about the medals not a FB post.. :patriot: :patriot:

POSTED 8:12 AM, MAY 24, 2019, BY CNN WIRE, UPDATED AT 08:16AM, MAY 24, 2019
He died saving the lives of others, and now he’s receiving posthumous medals for his heroic actions.

Riley Howell, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte student who died April 30 while tackling a gunman, has been awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star, according to a Facebook post by the Waynesville, North Carolina, police.

Authorities said the ROTC cadet was shot and killed along with fellow student Reed Parlier, 19. Four others were injured in last month’s mass shooting. Trystan Terrell, 22, has been indicted on two counts of murder and four counts of attempted murder.

During Wednesday’s ceremony, Vietnam War veteran Thomas “Stormy” Matteo praised Howell’s actions in a FaceTime call to the late 21-year-old’s parents and siblings.

https://q13fox.com/2019/05/24/riley-howell-the-student-who-died-while-tackling-a-gunman-just-received-a-purple-heart-and-bronze-star/?fbclid=IwAR1kIxFdRXBw2_Zh7upbr99apvW2IMqNxVlidNKhEOcn8sncWpCrAgHbu2Q
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

Its the least they could do.

There were two almost identical instances of a young man charging a gunman and paying with their life. For some reason this guy didn't receive as much attention. They are both heroes.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
ROTC

My son was in JROTC in High School.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:49:39 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

There were two almost identical instances of a young man charging a gunman and paying with their life. For some reason this guy didn't receive as much attention. They are both heroes.

Indeed.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Rivergirl

Well earned honor.   RIP heroes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@
POSTED 8:12 AM, MAY 24, 2019, BY CNN WIRE, UPDATED AT 08:16AM, MAY 24, 2019
He died saving the lives of others, and now he’s receiving posthumous medals for his heroic actions.

Riley Howell, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte student who died April 30 while tackling a gunman, has been awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star, according to a Facebook post by the Waynesville, North Carolina, police.

@The Ghost

This will never stand. Those awards are given for wounds received or courage under fire while fighting a declared enemy of the USA. That enemy has to be wearing the uniform of a declcared enemy nation.

I personally knew soldiers on active duty who were wounded or killed,and who risked their own lives by exposing themselves to automatic weapons fire to rescue wounded soldiers and even THEY didn't get Bronze Stars with the "V device for valor" or a Purple Heart,which is ONLY awarded for wounds received while in armed combat with a declared enemy of the US of America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@skeeter

No,it is a thousand times more than they SHOULD have done.

Offline mountaineer

I have no problem with this young man's family receiving some sort of medal in his honor, because he truly was brave. But the Purple Heart is not appropriate. I agree with Pete.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have no problem with this young man's family receiving some sort of medal in his honor, because he truly was brave. But the Purple Heart is not appropriate. I agree with Pete.

@mountaineer

In fact,the US Military has non-combat medals they award to US Military members who exhibit courage while risking their lives in non-military  emergencies,

The irony is that no one in uniform would have been awarded the Purple Heart or the Broze Star w/Valor device given to this young man who was NOT in the military because the award regulations prohibit these awards for "events" not recognized as official.

I had know active-duty soldiers who were wounded or otherwise injured while running convert operations in the US Army that not only never received a single award for their courage,but also never received the Purple Hearts they earned due to being wounded. Even worse,those who were wounded or injured enough to lose their army careers couldn't even draw disability retirement or disability from the VA for their injuries because "there is no record and there were no US troops there at the time you cliam."

Seriously.

You have no idea what a slap in the face this is to Special Operations people. It smacks of the modern-day philosophy of "give everybody a medal because we are all heroes". When you do this,you cheapen awards like the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star,and turn them into  "participation badges".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:57:19 pm by sneakypete »