Author Topic: Tornado in Jefferson City, Mo., may have caused ‘catastrophic damage’: reports  (Read 746 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Jefferson City, the capital city of Missouri, has taken a direct hit from a tornado and suffered possibly “catastrophic” damage, according to reports.

There were no immediate reports about fatalities. Initial reports in local media claimed dozens were hospitalized with injuries, but state Public Safety officials tweeted Thursday morning that the reports were overblown, and that only nine people were admitted to Jefferson City hospitals with storm-related injuries.

According to the National Weather Service, a “confirmed large and destructive tornado” was observed over Jefferson City, at 11:43 p.m., moving northeast at 40 mph....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/tornado-in-jefferson-city-mo-may-have-caused-catastrophic-damage-reports

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Same system that passed over us about 1:30am...sirens blaring...very scary.

This is the 2nd night of very little sleep and now they say a repeat for tonight.. 888mouth
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Same system that passed over us about 1:30am...sirens blaring...very scary.

This is the 2nd night of very little sleep and now they say a repeat for tonight.. 888mouth

It's an odd spring for sure.  I was just reading about snowfall in Arizona!

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

One report I saw said some people claimed not to have heard the sirens.  The tornado was unexpected.  Not sure if that is true.

The photos show some unbelievable damage.  Prayers up for all affected.

There is a major storm heading my way.  I think this is the one that hit out west a day or two ago.  More likely we will get thunderstorms, but tornados, though rare in the hill country around these parts, is always possible.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'It was a direct hit': Monster tornado tears through Jefferson City in Missouri causing 'catastrophic damage' and a 'mass casualty event' as twisters across the state kill three and the National Guard is called in
Daily Mail/UK, May 23, 2019

A catastrophic tornado has ripped through Missouri's capital, according to the National Weather Service.

The 'violent tornado' was confirmed in Jefferson City around 11.43pm Wednesday night. Jefferson City took a direct hit by the storm and there are several unconfirmed reports of residents hearing 'mass casualties' over their scanners.

Three deaths in Missouri have been confirmed, the result of a tornado earlier in the day, but there is no word yet on possible fatalities in the capital.

Police Lt. David Williams said officers have received multiple calls of people being trapped in their homes and 20 people have been rescued by emergency workers in Jefferson City.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7061433/Tornado-strikes-Jefferson-City-Missouri-causing-catastrophic-damage-state-capital.html

Offline Applewood

Thanks @Right_in_Virginia.  Those are some of the photos I saw.  Downright scary.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline raml

Right_in_Virginia those pictures you have there are from Carl Junction Missouri not Jefferson City. My granddaughter has a home just blocks from those destroyed. Carl Junction is next to Joplin Missouri where I live and where 8 years ago on this same date Joplin was destroyed with 161 killed luckily this that hit Carl Junction killed no one but scared the hell out of all of us as sirens were going off in all areas since at first it was headed east to my area then it went further north and then east. I spent both Monday hearing sirens then Wednesday night I stayed awake all night from these storms. Now we have flash flooding and in some areas real flooding all around us luckily I am in a high area and as long as I stay home am safe. I am praying for those in Jefferson City and surrounding areas that also were hurt by these tornado's we here in Joplin understand how horrible it is to see a city destroyed and loved ones killed.

Insert Quote