Author Topic: New York State Senate introduces bill to make texting while walking illegal  (Read 681 times)

rangerrebew

New York State Senate introduces bill to make texting while walking illegal

By Naveen Dhaliwal
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:23PM
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Texting while walking isn't only dangerous, but it could soon be a crime in New York.

A new bill introduced by the State Senate would make it illegal for people to cross streets in the state with their eyes glued to their smartphone.

These days it's very common to see eyes on cell phone screens no matter where you are.

"I could use it all day long," one pedestrian said.

But what if using your electronic device means you could be fined when crossing the road?

https://abc7ny.com/politics/ny-senate-introduces-bill-to-ban-texting-while-walking/5302620/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

When it comes to libs, you just can't make this stuff up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online dfwgator

I'd rather ban those stupid bleeping electric scooters from sidewalks,  can't tell you how many times I've almost been run over by some idiot on one.

Offline Applewood

It's sad that people are so stupid, they need laws to protect them from themselves.  Can't tell you how many times some nitwit with a smartphone has darted out into traffic , not looking where he or she is going, and nearly been run down.  I've personally seen some near accidents.  And the same goes for people with I-pods or listening to music on  their phones.  A day or two ago, there was a local news story about a teenager walking a trail who was hit by a train.  She was so busy listening to music on her mobile device, she didn't see or hear a train coming as she was crossing the tracks.  She was lucky the train was moving slowly and she escaped without serious injury.

Personally, I would rather the nanny state butt out and let these idiots get hit, but I suppose it's become too costly to scrape these people off the street or tracks when they get hit.

Online mountaineer

Personally, I would rather the nanny state butt out and let these idiots get hit, but I suppose it's become too costly to scrape these people off the street or tracks when they get hit.
I quite agree. Maybe there should be a law requiring everyone to wrap himself in bubble wrap, too.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

When it comes to libs, you just can't make this stuff up.

Next, they'll  be introducing a bill that you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online dfwgator

Next, they'll  be introducing a bill that you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

"Chewing gum on line, eh?"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Night Hides Not

It's sad that people are so stupid, they need laws to protect them from themselves.  Can't tell you how many times some nitwit with a smartphone has darted out into traffic , not looking where he or she is going, and nearly been run down.  I've personally seen some near accidents.  And the same goes for people with I-pods or listening to music on  their phones.  A day or two ago, there was a local news story about a teenager walking a trail who was hit by a train.  She was so busy listening to music on her mobile device, she didn't see or hear a train coming as she was crossing the tracks.  She was lucky the train was moving slowly and she escaped without serious injury.

One thing I've noticed over the years is how people don't look both ways when crossing streets. Some are immersed in their Iphones, others are just self absorbed.

Fortunately, I'm able to walk with my 8 YO grandson to and from school several times a week. He gets tired of me reminding him to look both ways. The crossing zone near his school is virtually a war zone at times, we have some really lousy drivers in our area...stop signs are routinely driven through, speed limits ignored, jaywalking is rampant.

Not much can be done until cops start writing out tickets, and they need to do that at the start of the school year to reinforce the message.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.