Author Topic: Why free-traders and all Americans should back Trump on China policy  (Read 352 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I’m a free-trader and I hate tariffs — which are consumer taxes — but if ever there were a right time to impose punitive tariffs, it is now, and it is against China. President Trump is on the side of the angels on this one, and this is the right moment to shut down China’s abusive trade practices forever.

Start with the basic facts: The average tariff that we imposed on China when Trump entered the White House was about 4 percent. China’s tariffs on us were about 10 percent and, even when including the 10 percent tariff that Trump first imposed on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports in 2018, our tariffs were still lower than theirs. So the playing field is not level and is especially tilted against us, given that Beijing’s non-tariff barriers in China can make it prohibitively expensive to do business there. We have an open market competing against the world’s second-largest economy whose doors are slammed shut.

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/443300-why-free-traders-and-all-americans-should-back-trump-on-china-policy
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

But they won't, because Trump.