Author Topic: Was a Russian Plot Behind the Venezuela Coup?  (Read 308 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Was a Russian Plot Behind the Venezuela Coup?
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:29:15 am »
Was a Russian Plot Behind the Venezuela Coup?
Annika Hernroth  05.05.19

CARACAS, Venezuela—“I was there, I saw it with my own eyes. Guaidó was asking the military to let him into La Carlota, and they refused, and then a few minutes afterwards he was making that video claiming he was inside.”

I am interviewing a senior law enforcement officer whom we’ll call Simón. He was at the La Carlota military airbase at 4 a.m. on April 30 in an official capacity. He tells me, in a furious staccato, that the morning everyone is talking about—the coup that dared not speak its name, and failed—was more smoke and mirrors than an image of history in the making.

“When he [self-declared, U.S.-backed President Juan Guaidó] called for the Venezuelan people to come and join him, Guaidó gave the impression that he had the support of the military and that they had turned, but that wasn’t even almost true,” Simón says. “He tried to win time and turn the tide using public opinion—based on a fundamental untruth.”

Read more at:  https://www.thedailybeast.com/venezuela-coup-was-a-russian-plot-behind-the-failed-uprising

This gets a bit involved.  I think she suggests that the Russians had their own many they wanted to set up in power,  Padrino López, otoh, it still sounds like Maduro is on the outs....eventually.