Author Topic: Islamophobia – The 21st-Century Weapon To Silence Our Freedom Of Speech  (Read 340 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
On March 5th, 2019 the House was set to vote on a resolution condemning Antisemitism in the wake of a freshman Congresswoman Ilhan Omar’s latest hateful comments on Jews and Israel. Unfortunately, that resolution never made it to the House floor for a vote. Instead, on March 7th, a revised resolution was passed 407-23, denouncing both Antisemitism and Islamophobia “as hateful expressions of intolerance.”

Around the same time, a resolution was introduced on the floor of the United Nations in response to recent attacks on minority groups, like the horrific murder of 50 Muslims in Christchurch, New Zealand, and the slaughter of 11 Jews at the Tree of Life in Pittsburgh. Until Israel’s ambassador, Danny Danon spoke out and rallied allies, the resolution only condemned Islamophobia, completely excluding Antisemitism.

The events illustrate how Antisemitism and Islamophobia are often framed in our discourse: as similar phenomena and equal dangers. This framing is both incorrect and problematic.

That said, by definition, Antisemitism and Islamophobia refer to two very different phenomena – and should not be lumped together as one and the same.

A phobia is an intense, irrational fear of something that poses no real danger.  Judeophobia is an irrational fear of Jews. Islamophobia is an irrational fear of the Islamic religion or Muslims generally.

Antisemitism is a race-based ideology, rooted in stereotypes – not based on fear, but ancient hatred. One popular definition, explains: “Antisemitism frequently charges Jews with conspiring to harm humanity, and it is often used to blame Jews for `why things go wrong.’”

https://lidblog.com/islamophobia/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Political correctness is a refuge of scoundrels in the minority, often the same people who would have mob rule when they think they have the numbers.

Let's just dispense with all this namby-pamby crap and just call a spade a spade. Since the advent of political correctness, the goal of the verbiage police has been to choke discussion at its root, the language. If one cannot express a thought without being attacked for doing so, then the thought is banned from discussion. Why is it that people who parade down streets in supposed "pride" for their culture or perversions feel the need to silence anything I have to say? Are they THAT insecure in their beliefs? Do they suffer from fear of rebuttal?

Rebuttalphobia? Is that even a word?

Is it Christophobia? Straightophobia? Breederphobia? Is there one for people who have an irrational fear of rational thought? Because that would sure apply to the various splinter factions of humanity (and a couple of the larger ones) which seek to silence the expression of any dissent or competing thought.

What better, more effective way to control not only language, but thought itself, than to render the expression of a belief or even feeling inexpressible?  Watch small children who cannot rationally express their thoughts, and they either start speaking gibberish or throw a fit. We've heard the gibberish, we've seen the fits. They aren't confined to toddlers.

Not only are the various socially defined -phobias usually misnomers, but the whole idea that I am afraid of things which I disagree with or find patently disgusting is ridiculous. I am, however getting sick and tired of people whose beliefs and practices I merely tolerate trying to act as if they are in command and trying to treat me like some second class citizen or worse. As others have also noted, I refuse to comply, and in that I am far from alone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Islamophobia – The 21st-Century Weapon To Silence Our Freedom Of Speech..."

From the 1960's up through the present, the cry of "racism" has served to do exactly the same.

For that reason, neither term should be given respect nor credence.

"Islamophobia" is really a defense mechanism -- to preserve our culture, our freedom, and our lives.

(The same might be said about the "r" word, as well)