Author Topic: Washington looks to Haftar to end slave trade in Libya  (Read 306 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Washington looks to Haftar to end slave trade in Libya
« on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:59 pm »
I am not sure if this is totally true in saying Washington is backing this guy. See 2nd article below.

Washington looks to Haftar to end slave trade in Libya

US President Donald Trump’s continued support for Libyan Field Marshall Khalifa Haftar is based on a promise by the military commander to clamp down on the slave trade in Libya and bring soldiers found guilty of human rights abuses to justice, says a former official in the US Department of Defense.

“The US backs Haftar because he is seen in Washington as anti-extremist and anti-slavery,” said Rudolph Atallah, a former counter-terrorism director for the office of the US Secretary of Defense and CEO of White Mountain Research in Virginia, noting that National Security Advisor John Bolton has been acting as an intermediary between the US Administration and Haftar.

“Haftar has promised to stamp down on the slave-trade of illegal migrants in Libya, which the Government of National Accord (GNA) has been unable to stem and which has outraged the world,” said Atallah.

Read more at: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2019/05/10/Washington-looks-to-Haftar-to-end-slave-trade-in-Libya-.html

Tripoli urges Trump to stop Haftar's backers meddling in Libya
Ahmed Elumami

TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Libya’s internationally recognized government denounced its foe Khalifa Haftar as an “aspiring military dictator” on Friday and urged U.S. President Donald Trump to stop foreign support for his month-long offensive on the capital Tripoli.

Fayez Serraj, prime minister of the beleaguered Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), said Haftar’s U.S.-allied backers were turning Libya into a proxy battleground, risking a war with global implications and further mass migration to Europe.

Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA), which is allied to a rival administration in eastern Libya, mounted an offensive on Tripoli in early April, saying the GNA was controlled by what it called terrorists, but has failed to breach the city’s defenses.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-libya-security-idUSKCN1SG11Q

More confusing stuff coming out but I was reading twitter the other day, 2 were going at it, I'm sure one if not both were Libyan and the one guy said words to the affect that the Muslim Brotherhood could come into Libya, that's a reason to support Haftar and Egypt supports Haftar.  I still can't get over how small Libya is per population, 6.2 million. There are cities bigger than that, by far. I guess, there are some resources there. Of course, they have oil and gas, which we know.

First article, al Arabiya, maybe not totally reliable.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:28:44 pm by TomSea »