Author Topic: All of the Reasons Why the AR-500 Is One Monster of a Rifle  (Read 453 times)

rangerrebew

May 6, 2019

All of the Reasons Why the AR-500 Is One Monster of a Rifle

It can take on anything.
by Kyle Mizokami

Used by SWAT and other tactical teams to stop vehicles, the AR-500 would likely only fire a handful of shots for a narrow purpose. Given that the rifle already weighs ten pounds and five rounds of .500 S&W can weigh up to half a pound, ammunition weight becomes an issue.

The endless adaptive nature of the AR-15 rifle platform has made it one of the most modifiable weapons in history. From buttstocks to barrels, the rifle can be customized in a variety of ways to improve power, functionality and appearance.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/all-reasons-why-ar-500-one-monster-rifle-56092

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: All of the Reasons Why the AR-500 Is One Monster of a Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:56:18 am »
Maybe I'm a little slow on the topic, but why not just make a sabot rifled slug with an AP core for the 12 gauge?

My father (admittedly a consummate marksman) has taken whitetails with a 12 gauge to 200 yards. I would think the ranges involved for disabling vehicles could be comparable to those of this rifle/ammo, and the ammo could be used across a range of platforms currently deployed with LEOs and Military alike.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:38 am »
Maybe I'm a little slow on the topic, but why not just make a sabot rifled slug with an AP core for the 12 gauge?

My father (admittedly a consummate marksman) has taken whitetails with a 12 gauge to 200 yards. I would think the ranges involved for disabling vehicles could be comparable to those of this rifle/ammo, and the ammo could be used across a range of platforms currently deployed with LEOs and Military alike.

I've penetrated a large fire extinguisher tank with these easily. No engine blocks though for me.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:23 am »

Higher pressure design puts more energy out.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002087237/hornady-sst-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-300-grain-ftx-sabot-slug-box-of-5

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/3/13/tested-the-500-auto-max-cartridge/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:13:52 pm »
Well this leaves my 358Yeti in the dust. But my Yeti runs in an AR15 and the AR-500 takes an AR10. Even though its more powerful up close and personal, I bet my Yeti'll take it for long shots. I imagine the AR-500 is for vehicle checkpoint duty.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 03:48:42 pm »
May 6, 2019

All of the Reasons Why the AR-500 Is One Monster of a Rifle

It can take on anything.
by Kyle Mizokami

Used by SWAT and other tactical teams to stop vehicles, the AR-500 would likely only fire a handful of shots for a narrow purpose. Given that the rifle already weighs ten pounds and five rounds of .500 S&W can weigh up to half a pound, ammunition weight becomes an issue.

The endless adaptive nature of the AR-15 rifle platform has made it one of the most modifiable weapons in history. From buttstocks to barrels, the rifle can be customized in a variety of ways to improve power, functionality and appearance.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/all-reasons-why-ar-500-one-monster-rifle-56092
I'm guessing this rifle would pretty well blow my recently repaired shoulder rotator cuff to smithereens.  No thanks...lol.