Author Topic: Donald Trump Revives National Program to Exclude Illegals from Jobs  (Read 674 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald Trump Revives National Program to Exclude Illegals from Jobs
Breitbart, May 4, 2019, Neil Munro

President Donald Trump’s administration has quietly reactivated a computer check that warns employers when their new employees are likely to be illegal immigrants.

Democrats, however, are protesting the new push to protect American families from illegal immigrants in the nation’s job market.

The so-called “no-match” letter warns employers that their employees’ claimed Social Security Numbers are suspect — and so allows the employers to minimize their legal risks by quietly firing the employees who do not have a right to work. The program was stopped by President Barack Obama mainly because it was so effective at warning employers.

"It is a very good thing,” said Jessica Vaughan, policy director at the Center for Immigration Studies. She continued:

Our government knows the name, address, and place of employment of millions of illegal workers … These jobs should be for Americans and legal workers … the market would bring wages up to $15 an hour for more workers if we didn’t have so much illegal employment.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/05/04/donald-trump-revives-national-program-to-exclude-illegals-from-jobs/

Offline skeeter

So Trump is reviving a program which cross checks info to guard against identity fraud.

I can see why the left would be outraged.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:03:29 pm by skeeter »

Offline libertybele

Donald Trump Revives National Program to Exclude Illegals from Jobs
Breitbart, May 4, 2019, Neil Munro

President Donald Trump’s administration has quietly reactivated a computer check that warns employers when their new employees are likely to be illegal immigrants.

Democrats, however, are protesting the new push to protect American families from illegal immigrants in the nation’s job market.

The so-called “no-match” letter warns employers that their employees’ claimed Social Security Numbers are suspect — and so allows the employers to minimize their legal risks by quietly firing the employees who do not have a right to work. The program was stopped by President Barack Obama mainly because it was so effective at warning employers.

"It is a very good thing,” said Jessica Vaughan, policy director at the Center for Immigration Studies. She continued:

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/05/04/donald-trump-revives-national-program-to-exclude-illegals-from-jobs/

This is a good thing. I'm questioning though the logic/validity of the comment that  "the market would bring wages up to $15 an hour for more workers if we didn’t have so much illegal employment."

If the reference is to minimum wage being at $15.00/hr., that is absurd.  Are they implying that illegals are keeping the wages lower because they are willing to work for less?? 

Minimum wage @ $15/hr., would only drive up inflation and cost of goods and consequently the cost of living.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

This is a good thing. I'm questioning though the logic/validity of the comment that  "the market would bring wages up to $15 an hour for more workers if we didn’t have so much illegal employment."

If the reference is to minimum wage being at $15.00/hr., that is absurd.  Are they implying that illegals are keeping the wages lower because they are willing to work for less?? 

Minimum wage @ $15/hr., would only drive up inflation and cost of goods and consequently the cost of living.

Simple supply & demand. Except it would be the market dictating salaries, not the damn government.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
That's how I read it as well; market forces.

Offline libertybele

That's how I read it as well; market forces.

If he doesn't get the current crisis at the border under control it's not going to matter.  Let's see ... the illegals won't be able to work and taxes will be raised to try and continually support the continued invasion.  We simply cannot sustain and the invasion will crumble our Republic.

Definitely not proposing allowing illegals to work, I just see this as a very futile attempt.  Unless he resolves the ever increasing invasion at the border, things will be so out of control, that soon, nothing is going to help.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

He didn't say minimum wage, he said "for more workers".  I suspect the idea is to co-opt the $15 craze.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

If he doesn't get the current crisis at the border under control it's not going to matter.  Let's see ... the illegals won't be able to work and taxes will be raised to try and continually support the continued invasion.  We simply cannot sustain and the invasion will crumble our Republic.

Definitely not proposing allowing illegals to work, I just see this as a very futile attempt.  Unless he resolves the ever increasing invasion at the border, things will be so out of control, that soon, nothing is going to help.

It will help, some, with the invasion, but perhaps most importantly it's something that can get done next week.  Sadly, it's too late to get a wall built in his first term.  IMO, anything we can do today we should do today.   Hopefully this will be a first step towards punishing employers who knowingly hire illegals.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I am not sure but we would have to see how it plays out.  Perhaps if they can't get a job they will have to go home.  But I still don't see employers raising wages for American workers unless they have a hard time finding them.  What kind of work documents do illegals have when they leave detention centers on the border?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.