Author Topic: Trump skips White House Cinco de Mayo party as Mexican ambassador touts 'flexible border'  (Read 759 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump skips White House Cinco de Mayo party as Mexican ambassador touts 'flexible border'
by Steven Nelson
 | May 03, 2019 01:30 PM

President Trump skipped for the third year a celebration of Cinco de Mayo on the White House grounds, leaving the Mexican ambassador with a group of mid-level administration officials instead.

At the event, Ambassador Martha Bárcena urged ratification of the USMCA trade deal, but he was left without a senior U.S. counterpart as White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney canceled at the last minute.

Trump has given far less fanfare to Cinco de Mayo than his recent predecessors. Former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush hosted elaborate parties in the Rose Garden and East Room of the White House.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-skips-white-house-cinco-de-mayo-party-as-mexican-ambassador-touts-flexible-border
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Does the president of Mexico typically host a Fourth of July celebration on the lawn at Los Pinos?

Part of being an American means you no longer demand public acknowledgement the patriotic holidays of your former country.

Since the USA is a great big melting pot and every single one of our newly arrived residents (who are a blessing) long only to be good Americans and share in our wonderful country they should have no problem with Trump's Cinco de Mayo policy change.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:48:10 pm by skeeter »

Offline Ichigo

And of course, the Dems will call him a "Racist" for skipping out on Cinco de Mayo. Because, he isn't a "diverse" President.

Typcial leftists want to whine anything and evetything...and always wanting to play the "Race card". It's getting really tiresome and boring.
´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ I c h i g o

"We long for fairy-tales in a world full of nightmares."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
May 5is not even celebrated in Mexico to any meaningful extent.

In the USA is is an excuse for Gringos to drink a lot,  at Mexican restaurants.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

Does Mexico celebrate July 4 as Independence Day?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Absalom

Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico's victory over the
French at Puebla in 1862 and has nothing to do w/the USA.
Why the hell are we celebrating it and Trump allowing it?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
They don't even celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico, why on earth would we celebrate it here?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico's victory over the
French at Puebla in 1862 and has nothing to do w/the USA.
Why the hell are we celebrating it and Trump allowing it?

Allow it?  It's not like he's attending or sending anyone to attend. 

Offline mountaineer

The only reason Americans "celebrate" May 5 is because beer companies have promoted it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Absalom

Allow it?  It's not like he's attending or sending anyone to attend.
----------------------------------
If he's not allowing it why is the celebration being held at the WH???

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I don't try to speak for Trump, but if it were me, I would probably try to pick my battles and let the event continue as it has for many years, but not attend or send anyone to it. 

Offline Night Hides Not

I've lived in Texas 30+ years, and have never needed an excuse to eat/drink at a Mexican restaurant. I don't speak Spanish, but I know the important words: enchilada, taco, flautas, and cerveza.  :rolling:

Some of the best Mexican food I've ever enjoyed was at one of the dozens of little diners on Alameda St. in El Paso.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Pretty much.

Around here we call it Cinco de Drinko.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I've lived in Texas 30+ years, and have never needed an excuse to eat/drink at a Mexican restaurant. I don't speak Spanish, but I know the important words: enchilada, taco, flautas, and cerveza.  :rolling:

Some of the best Mexican food I've ever enjoyed was at one of the dozens of little diners on Alameda St. in El Paso.
And I am a native of SoCal, and have consumed every variety of Mex food, including Mazatlan, Tijuana,  TexMex, Arizona style etc.

During my corporate era we used to go to VERY authentic joints in East LA. Bueno.

I consider itmy own "Home" regional food style.

FFor the best fast cheap food, El Pollo Loco. The salsas are unmatched. It is a chain initiallly started in Mexico.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 08:40:41 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

And I am a native of SoCal, and have consumed every variety of Mex food, including TesMex, Arizona style etc.

I consider itmy own "Home" regional food style.

During my corporate era we used to go to VERY authentic joints in East LA. Bueno.

We have a few of those up here in Silicon Valley. As with Chinese cuisine, the difference between the typical strip mall ethnic restaurant and the real thing is immense.

Offline libertybele

I think there are more earth shattering events happening in this country other than Trump missing the Cinco de Mayo party.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Does Mexico celebrate July 4 as Independence Day?

1. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's independent day.
2. Cinco de Mayo is as much a US holiday as a Mexican holiday, not only is it celebrated here more (only a few places in Mexico even know about it), it actually started in California.
3. Cinco de Mayo commemerates a battle that was critically important in US history. We assisted Mexico in the battle of Puebla It was a critical strategic point in the US blocking France from supplying the Confederacy. If it were not for the Battle of Puebla, Napoleon III would have allied and supplied the CSA and the South likely would have become a Commonwealth or protectorate of France. 

Offline skeeter

1. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's independent day.
2. Cinco de Mayo is as much a US holiday as a Mexican holiday, not only is it celebrated here more (only a few places in Mexico even know about it), it actually started in California.
3. Cinco de Mayo commemerates a battle that was critically important in US history. We assisted Mexico in the battle of Puebla It was a critical strategic point in the US blocking France from supplying the Confederacy. If it were not for the Battle of Puebla, Napoleon III would have allied and supplied the CSA and the South likely would have become a Commonwealth or protectorate of France.

I could go to Google & brush up on my history first, but wasn't the Battle of Pueblo a Mexican victory in a war they ultimately lost?

Offline ABX

The White House is not his house, he temporary resides there but the house belongs to the United States and other than the president's residential floor and some key offices, is run and maintained by the White House Historical Association. They are the group that runs tours and sets up events in the public areas like this. The 'State Floor's of the White House including the East Room and State Dining Hall are in constant use for public events and tours. Generally only the Secret Service overrides this for security issues or if there is a specific State visit that closes the whole thing.

Offline ABX

I could go to Google & brush up on my history first, but wasn't the Battle of Pueblo a Mexican victory in a war they ultimately lost?

For the US, it was a lot more strategic and can be compared to how we intervened in local wars during the cold war to prevent the expansion of the Soviets

https://www.history.com/news/cinco-de-mayo-battle-puebla-civil-war

Offline skeeter

For the US, it was a lot more strategic and can be compared to how we intervened in local wars during the cold war to prevent the expansion of the Soviets

https://www.history.com/news/cinco-de-mayo-battle-puebla-civil-war

Monroe Doctrine and all that.

And we'll soon see if it's still an important part of our foreign policy.

Offline berdie

I have no problem with Cinco De Mayo.  What's not to love about cheap Margaritas in every Mexican food restaurant...hic.  Excuse me, I guess I started "touring the restaurants"  on Tres De Mayo. :laugh: