Author Topic: Trump seeks billions in emergency border funds — but not for his wall  (Read 488 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NBC News By Monica Alba and Adam Edelman 5/1/2019

The White House on Wednesday asked Congress for an additional $4.5 billion in emergency funding for the southern border.

None of the money being requested would be for construction of President Donald Trump's long-promised border wall, according to a senior administration official who requested anonymity to be able to discuss the details of the request.

Rather, the official said, the requested funds would be to deal with "the immediate humanitarian crisis."

That includes $3.3 billion for humanitarian assistance, such as food, clothing, diapers, transportation, bed space and increased shelter capacity for unaccompanied minors; $1.1 billion for operations and support to respond to the crisis at the border (including investigations related to smuggling); and another $178 million for additional support related to personnel and other resources.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/trump-seeks-billions-emergency-border-funds-not-his-wall-n1000706

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
They're not serious about stopping the flood.   

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yes they are.  I just heard the President interviewed on FBN and he stated, matter of fact, no drama.... the emergency declaration allows him to transfer money, so with these transfers they've got the money for this year's wall.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Like everyone in the political class- they need the issue, not the solution. They need to have something to tell people in rallies they are fighting for.

As Trump said in the Art of the Deal- (paraphrased), 'just show them you are moving dirt around to make it appear some something is getting done.'
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:39:16 am by ABX »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes they are.  I just heard the President interviewed on FBN and he stated, matter of fact, no drama.... the emergency declaration allows him to transfer money, so with these transfers they've got the money for this year's wall.

I appreciate your positivity, @Right_in_Virginia, but I'm going to have to see it before I believe it. 

I appreciate your positivity, @Right_in_Virginia, but I'm going to have to see it before I believe it.

I've learned not to come between a poster and his/her angst.   :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I've learned not to come between a poster and his/her angst.   :laugh:

So much for being polite and gracious.   *****rollingeyes*****

So much for being polite and gracious.   *****rollingeyes*****

Actually I was being both @Sanguine ... I've learned (finally) there's a time to debate and a time to stand down.  This felt like a good time to stand down.   :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Actually I was being both @Sanguine ... I've learned (finally) there's a time to debate and a time to stand down.  This felt like a good time to stand down.   :shrug:

By trivializing my concerns over serious, unmet promises by calling them "angst", you missed the mark. Do you really not get that?

By trivializing my concerns over serious, unmet promises by calling them "angst", you missed the mark. Do you really not get that?

Nope, I don't "get" it @Sanguine .  This is just one more time I've watched you deliberately drag one of my posts miles from its intent, no matter how I try to explain you're off course. 

Enjoy the rest of the evening.