Author Topic: Warren Rule: Minimum Wage Earner Should Be Able to Afford Spouse, Child and Mortgage  (Read 2086 times)

rangerrebew

Warren Rule: Minimum Wage Earner Should Be Able to Afford Spouse, Child and Mortgage

Elizabeth Warren told a story at the She the People Presidential Forum last week, illustrating the tough life she lived before growing up to become a Harvard Law professor and then a senator.

"My daddy has a heart attack. Everybody thinks he is going to die," she said. "He comes back home. He can't work."

"My mother has never worked outside the home," she continues. "We lose our family station wagon. My mother is terrified."

But that did not stop her from getting a job.

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/warren-rule-minimum-wage-earner-should-be-able-afford-spouse-child-and

Online libertybele

Hey why not.  Fear seems to be the all encompassing word that allows benefits to all in the U.S.  Those who fear for their lives can seek asylum with all the perks and benefits.  So those who fear that they can't afford a house, car, etc., under Warren would be able to get a job at the local McD's, Burger King or Dollar General earning a wage to support a family.  I wonder if they would be required to work 40 hours instead of the usual part time hours?

My question Lizzie -- if the spouse works at Mc D's will he/she also get the same wage to support a family? So now we have two income workers at entry level jobs making a ridiculous amount of money for what they do.  $50,000.00 should do it, right?  So two people working at Mc D's can hypothetically make $100,000 a year. Got it. Another question Lizzie -- how much do you now think a Big Mac will cost?   What incentive is there for those to strive to do better for themselves and family?  Why get an education past high school or even grade school??

Yet another bat crap crazy liberal lunatic idea.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Night Hides Not

Here's one thing I've learned over the past year or so: UPS offers paid health insurance to all employees, plus other benefits such as tuition reimbursement programs. I'm sure they're not the only company to do so.

It's not easy for those that work part time, but it's workable with personal initiative. I work with quite a few folks on my shift that have been there 10, 15, 20+ years. Good people, too. Can they afford spouse, mortgage, and children on that part time job? If the other spouse works, sure. The shift I work on usually runs 3-4 hours, ends usually at 3 PM. Don't have to worry about after school care, they're done in time to pick up the kiddos.

I wish Warren and the rest of her ilk would give the average American credit for what they're capable of doing on their own.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline The_Reader_David

More economic illiteracy from the left.  The real minimum wage is $0.00/hour which is what those thrown out of jobs because their labor is worth less than the government-mandated wage are paid by their non-existent employer.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Someone with a spouse and children should not have to settle for minimum wage. They should have enough employable skills to do so by that point.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The Rat candidates are like watching a NASCAR race. 

Just a bunch of leftist turning more to the left.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

The Rat candidates are like watching a NASCAR race. 

Just a bunch of leftist turning more to the left.

And they drag the Republicans right along with them.

Online libertybele

Here's one thing I've learned over the past year or so: UPS offers paid health insurance to all employees, plus other benefits such as tuition reimbursement programs. I'm sure they're not the only company to do so.

It's not easy for those that work part time, but it's workable with personal initiative. I work with quite a few folks on my shift that have been there 10, 15, 20+ years. Good people, too. Can they afford spouse, mortgage, and children on that part time job? If the other spouse works, sure. The shift I work on usually runs 3-4 hours, ends usually at 3 PM. Don't have to worry about after school care, they're done in time to pick up the kiddos.

I wish Warren and the rest of her ilk would give the average American credit for what they're capable of doing on their own.

I agree, except under LBJ's Great Society we now have several generations who are so dependent on government that they don't try to do much on their own and those that hold a job feel that they are owed or deserve more.  It's a mindset that is now entrenched in our society.

2 parents -- one working full time the other part time so that they can care for the kids after school should be a no brainer.  You learn to live within your means.  If it means only one family TV, basic cable, simple cell phones, and one vehicle that is shared (nothing wrong with the part timer picking up the full timer after work) then so be it.

One doesn't need nails done, multiple TV's and Nintendos for all the kids, 2 brand new cars, cable beyond basic, trips to Disney, etc., etc.  I can't count the times that I've been in the grocery line when a female has purchased groceries with food stamps, but has several tatoos, fancy acrylic nails, hair nicely highlighted, and then she drives off in a brand new SUV! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Sen Fauxcahontas is every bit the crack pot that Comrade Muppet is.  Neither of these two will ever be POTUS, so worry not.

America just is not THAT dumb.....YET!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I agree, except under LBJ's Great Society we now have several generations who are so dependent on government that they don't try to do much on their own and those that hold a job feel that they are owed or deserve more.  It's a mindset that is now entrenched in our society.

Bingo.   And it's why we have so many illegals -- those jobs still need to get done and they do them well, without the complaint and high turnover of those with the mindset you describe above.   

And while I acknowledge the problem this nation has with so many illegals,  that's why I can't get too upset about them.   They're here because employers need them.   They are rational actors, willing to do a day's work for a day's pay. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
This just shows how insane she really is. Is she incapable of following a simple logic chain? If the minimum is raised high enough that an unskilled twit can marry, raise children and buy a home just how high do prices for goods and services have to be raised? What about all the people that are skilled labor and professionals? How high will their wages have to be raised further raising the cost of goods and services, and what about those receiving SS? it will have to be increased and where will the the minimum wage earners be ? In the exact same position. As I say Warren is insane seeking to increase the minimum beyond skilled labor those who have worked hard and excelled, to reward mediocrity.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sounds like she thinks $15/hour is wayyy too low.

Color me surprised.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Bingo.   And it's why we have so many illegals -- those jobs still need to get done and they do them well, without the complaint and high turnover of those with the mindset you describe above.   

And while I acknowledge the problem this nation has with so many illegals,  that's why I can't get too upset about them.   They're here because employers need them.   They are rational actors, willing to do a day's work for a day's pay.

*****rollingeyes*****  And, you were doing so well.  Did you read any of the papers you demanded and that I posted for you?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
*****rollingeyes*****  And, you were doing so well.  Did you read any of the papers you demanded and that I posted for you?

Just another Nor' Easter who has all the answers. Us bigoted border rats need to suck it up.  *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just another Nor' Easter who has all the answers. Us bigoted border rats need to suck it up.  *****rollingeyes*****

I think we're verging on being part of the "white tribe".   :shrug:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
dfw gator wrote (in reply to the ghostly one):
"And they drag the Republicans right along with them."

They DO NOT "drag" the Republicans.
Most of them WILLINGLY "draft" right along behind !!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think we're verging on being part of the "white tribe".   :shrug:

The "virtuous" who look down on poor people.  The common clay of the Earth. You know...Morons.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Oh here you go again.  Maybe Americans could afford mortgage, spouse and child if they didn't have to raise all those illegal immigrant families also.  Yeah you never would bring that up. Those illegals come because they get a great paying job once you add in all the benefits that our stupid government makes Americans pay for.  Why would they complain?  Americans pick up the tab for health, cash assistance, food stamps...etc., etc.  ad nauseum.  They make enough to send money back to their own country.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:04:13 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

And we have to buy our own car insurance too, ours and theirs.

It Pays To Stay: How Illegal Immigrants Have Access to Subsidized Social Programs

By Nick DiUlio
In 2013, California Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law a bill that would allow the state’s illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. That law, known as AB 60, took effect in January of this year, leading to the expected licensing of more than 1 million undocumented immigrants. And while this initiative may have solved one particular problem (for better or worse), it also brought forth another perplexing quandary: How would these new drivers obtain auto insurance?
“It would be a tragedy if, after all this effort, the 1.4 million people who are getting driver’s licenses for the first time don’t have auto insurance,” said California Department of Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones in a statement.
Indeed, uninsured motorists are a significant problem, not only for California but the entire country. According to the nonprofit Insurance Research Council, about 13 percent of U.S. drivers are uninsured, and the cost of this problem is passed along to responsible drivers in the form of uninsured/underinsured motorist’s coverage—an expensive way for responsible drivers to protect themselves against the irresponsibility of those who willfully choose to drive without insurance.
But Jones also acknowledged that the cost of an annual auto insurance policy might be financially prohibitive to illegal immigrants living in the Golden State, which is why he teamed up with Senator Ricardo Lara in order to open the state’s Low Cost Auto Insurance Program to these newly minted motorists. According to Jones, premiums through this program would be less than $450 a year (or about $38 a month), which is about a third the cost of private auto insurance in California. At these rates, this would represent approximately a combined $900 million dollar subsidy.
According to California Department of Insurance spokeswoman Madison Voss, the state-approved insurance program provides motorists with basic liability coverage that is less than what most California drivers are required to carry. According to Voss, most drivers need liability coverage of at least $15,000 for bodily injury or death and $5,000 for property damage. The low-cost program's coverage for those categories, however, is $10,000 and $3,000. That’s how the state keeps its low-cost insurance plan so cheap.
But the differences in those costs are being passed on to legal California residents, and many of them are not pleased.
“Last year the California state government voted to give driver’s licenses to law-breaking illegals…and now the legislature is giving taxpayer subsidized insurance to illegals,” wrote conservative freelance columnist Warner Todd Huston on LibertyNews.com. “So, the message to these lawbreakers is, ‘[Go] ahead and break our laws and we’ll give you freebies!’…Now that illegals are flocking to get their drivers licenses, the state is forcing legal citizens to pay for the illegals’ car insurance.

https://www.autoinsurancecenter.com/it-pays-to-stay-how-illegal-immigrants-have-access-to-subsidized-social-programs.htm

Well I don't want to raise the minimum wage but I sure would like to keep the money that I work for.  Some people here can't seem to grasp that immigrants aren't better workers.  They don't complain because they have nothing to complain about.  They are probably working side by side with Americans who are paying outrageous tax to give them free everything.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:28:32 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

REPORT: 2/3 of Births to Illegals Are Subsidized by Taxpayers
 October 10, 2018  Lionel Parrott  0

‘The large share who can’t provide for themselves without the help of American taxpayers raises serious questions…’

IMAGE: Stand With Arizona via Youtube
(Lionel Parrott, Liberty Headlines) One in five births in the United States are to immigrant mothers, according to a new report from the Center for Immigration Studies.
The data comes from 2014.
Based on analysis of derived from the Census Bureau, CIS estimates that this means that one out of every 13 births are to illegal aliens–in total, 300,000 births.
Only one in eight births are to a legal immigrant.

CIS further finds that most of the births to immigrants, both legal and illegal, are being subsidized by the taxpayers, including two-thirds of the births to illegal aliens.
“The enormous number of births to legal and illegal immigrants may hinder assimilation as children from immigrant families will largely interact with only each other,” said Steven Camarota, CIS’s director of research.

“[P]aying for so many births to immigrant mothers may be appropriate, but the large share who can’t provide for themselves without the help of American taxpayers raises serious questions about whether our current immigration system makes sense.”
To put the nearly 300,000 births to illegal immigrants in perspective, that is more than the total number of births in every state except for California and Texas.
And the price tag for taxpayers on births to immigrants, both legal and illegal?
According to the report, it’s $5.3 billion, with $2.4 billion being for births to illegal aliens.
“Problem states” for taxpayers funding illegal immigrant births include North Carolina, Texas and Georgia.
There, three-quarters of births to illegal aliens are likely paid for by taxpayers.
The state with the highest share of births to illegal aliens is Nevada.
In the Silver State, nearly one in six births is to illegal aliens.
Not far behind are California and Texas, where the share of illegal alien births to total births is one in six.
The Center for Immigration Studies describes itself as “low-immigration, pro-immigrant.”
To view the full report, go here.

https://www.libertyheadlines.com/illegals-births-subsidized-taxpayers/

How much does it cost taxpayers to have a baby?

9 Women Share Exactly How Much It Cost Them to Give Birth
The prices range from not so much to "You charge WHAT to pull a baby out?!"

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a19903504/costs-of-giving-birth/

Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!  Hospital costs alone returned to taxpayer would be a great raise in pay!  Free is great! Who could want a raise when the state pays all your bills for you?

https://hotair.com/archives/2011/10/24/romneycare-subsidized-care-for-illegal-immigrants/

Need help paying bills (illegal immigrants)

https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/immigrant_assistance_programs.html

Is anyone sick to their stomachs yet?

@Jazzhead how about you?  Anything to say about those immigrants that don't complain?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:53:48 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Guest Commentary: ‘Gardenhire Republicans’ Want Subsidized Education for Illegal Immigrants and Sanctuary Campuses

By: Karen Lees
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) reports that the burden of illegal immigration on taxpayers in Tennessee for both state and local expenditures jumped from $285 million in 2007 to $547 million in 2013, according to a FAIR 2013 study.
To add to that burden, proposed legislation that would grant eligibility for illegal aliens to receive in-state tuition is being considered this session by legislators at the Tennessee State Capitol.
In most cases, the discount for in-state tuition is roughly 50%, leaving Tennessee taxpayers with half the cost of tuition for each illegal student.
Senator Todd Gardenhire’s SB 0635 & SB 1014 and Representative Mark White’s HB 0660 & HB 0863 seek to abdicate the legislature’s delegated authority to a Board of Regents or other un-elected body governing Tennessee’s post secondary schools. With slumping attendance rates, the decision left to un-elected boards to fill empty seats in the classroom will take priority over compliance with federal immigration law and public safety.
The summary for SB0635 states:

The summary for SB0635 states:
This bill authorizes the governing body of each public institution of higher education to determine the qualifications that students must possess to be eligible for payment of in-state tuition and fees. All students who are not eligible for in-state tuition must pay the out-of-state tuition and fees set by the governing body.
Go to capitol.tn.gov for details.
To heap even more on the taxpayers’ backs, Senator Jim Tracy (R) amended Sen. Gardenhire’s similar bill, SB1014 to include students in ALL of Tennessee’s eight surrounding states within 100 miles of the TN border. The bill passed the Senate Education Committee last week 7-2 and is now headed for the Finance Ways and Means Committee.  The seven “Yes” votes were Crowe (R), Dickerson (R), Gardenhire (R), Gresham (R), Haile (R), Tate (D), and Tracy (R). The two Senators voting “No” were Hensley (R) and Kelsey (R).

http://tennesseestar.com/2017/03/29/guest-commentary-gardenhire-republicans-want-subsidized-education-for-illegal-immigrants-and-sanctuary-campuses/

Those Republicans! 

I wonder how much of my income would be saved if we weren't paying for this stuff?  How much on property tax?  How much on other local taxes to pay for illegal immigrants?

Where do I sign up for free?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:31:26 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline dancer

I assume you're "privileged?"  If so, forget about it.   **nononono*
Our small city had to build 12 new schools because of the influx of illegals.   
Irl commute, I pass by one of the elementary schools just when the children are
getting out of school. I am stunned when I see a white child.  The vast majority are assorted shades of brown. 
No, I'm not a racist.  That's just the facts of life.
We had to build housing complexes for welfare/low income residents as well.
All taxes went through the roof! 
Utilities added special "fees" we have to pay to subsidize the unprivileged. 
We pay taxes on everything we purchase and need to live our lives here.
Gasoline/haircuts/food/clothing/appliances/licenses/registration fees, etc.
Big ticket items are an absolute nightmare.   
For every $100 of spending, we now add $10 for city taxes.
Other items are taxed at even higher rates, another 19% in city/state taxes.
My $200 medication now cost an additional $38 in added taxes.
Hoa dues have soared.  Our quality of life took a serious hit.
It adds up, month after month, year after year.
And for what?  We literally get no value, no benefit for all of those increases.
Our incomes do not keep pace with col.  We slip a bit more each year. 
Now we need new prisons.  It never ends.
Where oh where is my white privilege? 

Offline Chosen Daughter

I assume you're "privileged?"  If so, forget about it.   **nononono*
Our small city had to build 12 new schools because of the influx of illegals.   
Irl commute, I pass by one of the elementary schools just when the children are
getting out of school. I am stunned when I see a white child.  The vast majority are assorted shades of brown. 
No, I'm not a racist.  That's just the facts of life.
We had to build housing complexes for welfare/low income residents as well.
All taxes went through the roof! 
Utilities added special "fees" we have to pay to subsidize the unprivileged. 
We pay taxes on everything we purchase and need to live our lives here.

Gasoline/haircuts/food/clothing/appliances/licenses/registration fees, etc.
Big ticket items are an absolute nightmare.   
For every $100 of spending, we now add $10 for city taxes.
Other items are taxed at even higher rates, another 19% in city/state taxes.
My $200 medication now cost an additional $38 in added taxes.
Hoa dues have soared.  Our quality of life took a serious hit.
It adds up, month after month, year after year.
And for what?  We literally get no value, no benefit for all of those increases.
Our incomes do not keep pace with col.  We slip a bit more each year. 
Now we need new prisons.  It never ends.
Where oh where is my white privilege?

Exactly, me too.   All those schools also have reduced lunch and most students of illegal immigrants are on that also.  Another thing that @Jazzhead conveniently doesn't mention is that employers prefer to hire people who already have their own insurance.  In my state all you have to do is provide proof of another insurance then you don't have to sign up for company insurance.  So the company doesn't pay for it but you and I do.  It is all about corporate welfare not whether they are better workers.  As I said before there is no master race whether employers want to pretend or not because it is cheaper to hire them.  It gets so tiring hearing how they are better workers than I am.  Believe me plenty of them don't last at my work.  Fired.  But there are plenty to replace them.

And when I say there is no master race people should think about the meaning of that.  There are good and bad workers of every race.  I respect people for how they live their life and the morals they have.  For their work ethics.  God made man.  He didn't make any race with hands that are faster or better.  He didn't make them with better work ethics.  He is a creative God.  He made people.  So it is so offensive to hear anyone go on about master race workers.  That truly is racist.  If you say a race is better than another you are racist.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:14:56 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It gets so tiring hearing how they are better workers than I am. 

pointing-up  THIS RIGHT HERE!  pointing-up

That makes my blood boil. Natural born Americans are all fat and lazy.   :soangry:
I will NOT comply.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Oh hell.... I make into the six figures and I feel I can't afford my wife...

Help me Elizabeth Warren, you are my only hope.

//Snark