Author Topic: Why Does Highly Religious America Keep Liberalizing, Drifting in Europe’s Direction?  (Read 264 times)

rangerrebew

Why Does Highly Religious America Keep Liberalizing, Drifting in Europe’s Direction?

German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once declared that “God is dead … and we have killed him.”

That famous statement rocked Europe nearly 150 years ago. His point was not that God actually died, but that people in the Western world no longer believed in God, and that this loss of faith would only spread.

Nietzsche’s prediction largely has panned out in Western Europe, where only 15 percent say they believe in God with absolute certainty. But America has been an exception to this trend, and remains so today.

A whopping 63 percent of Americans say they believe in God with absolute certainty, according to Pew Research. And although only 11 percent of Western Europeans say religion is very important in their lives, 53 percent of Americans say it is for them.

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/daniel-davis/why-does-highly-religious-america-keep-liberalizing-drifting-europes

Online rustynail

Satan rules this world.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'll tell you why: social media.

Since Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook in 2005, Americans have been getting fed a continuous drumbeat of how much their country sucks and how the Nordic countries are the ones to be lauded and emulated. Of course, Sweden, once the cradle of Lutheranism, is now one of the least religious countries in the world. If we only abandon our faith, we could be like them!

For all this talk of Americans wanting more religion in public life, church attendance is still way down.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Maybe we need God but without the religion part.    My faith in God tells me He doesn't make mistakes,  and that my neighbors who live a sober, monogamous life can be the recipients of His favor.     But the religious insist that their homosexuality is an abomination,  and they will suffer damnation for who they have chosen to love.   

Forced to choose between God and religion,  I know who I'm going with.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide