Author Topic: Atlantic: Late-night comedy isn’t funny anymore (it doesn’t even try)  (Read 680 times)

rangerrebew

Atlantic: Late-night comedy isn’t funny anymore (it doesn’t even try)

John SextonPosted at 6:41 pm on April 25, 2019

Today the Atlantic’s Andrew Ferguson has a piece about the death of comedy on late-night television. His observations are prompted by the recent arguments over the White House Correspondent’s Dinner which hit an iceberg last year in the form of Michelle Wolf’s mean and not funny routine. This year, President Trump has said he won’t attend and has ordered members in his administration to do likewise. That was seen as a terrible thing by some in the media but I’m with Ed on this one: So what.

In any case, Ferguson writes that what happened at last year’s WHCD is really part of a larger move away from actual jokes which you can see happening in real time on the various late-night shows. He says he first learned about this when the NY Times began sending him a morning report with the best of late-night and he invariably found none of it was funny.

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/25/atlantic-late-night-comedy-isnt-funny-anymore-doesnt-even-try/

Offline dfwgator

"Remember when comedians were funny?  Pepperidge Farm Remembers!"

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
"Remember when comedians were funny?  Pepperidge Farm Remembers!"
@dfwgator
The voice of "Pepperidge Farm Remembers!" was once part of one of classic network radio's greatest comic ensembles: Parker Fennelly played Titus Moody, the laconically dour New England farmer, in Fred Allen's "Allen's Alley" sketches. (The most famous lineup "Alley" citizens: Kenny Delmar as blustery southern Senator Claghorn [whom the Looney Tunes people ripped off whole to create Foghorn Leghorn], Minerva Pious as Jewish housewife/malaproprietess Mrs. Nussman [who invariably had a wisecrack when Allen knocked on her door and said "Ahhh, Mrs. Nussbaum," prompting something like, "You were expecting maybe Weinstein Churchill?"], Alan Reed as pompous doggerel walker Falstaff Openshaw, and his successor Peter Donald as Irish brawler Ajax Cassidy.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:00:51 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Of all the comedians the Times directs me to, none tries harder not to be funny than Samantha Bee of TBS.
And why would she try to be funny?

She's a token woman in a genre dominated by men. She can get away with being inferior without getting canceled because hey, it'd look TERRIBLY sexist to fire one of the few women in late night!

Oh, and by the way, there are now two women in American late night TV. The other, Lilly Singh, starts her new show this fall. Both are Canadian. Do we not have any female Americans who can do the job at least as well?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

And why would she try to be funny?

She's a token woman in a genre dominated by men. She can get away with being inferior without getting canceled because hey, it'd look TERRIBLY sexist to fire one of the few women in late night!

Oh, and by the way, there are now two women in American late night TV. The other, Lilly Singh, starts her new show this fall. Both are Canadian. Do we not have any female Americans who can do the job at least as well?

Which begs the question.  Why are the Canadians still here, when they have one of their own as a PM. 

Offline goatprairie

Johnny Carson used to brag that nobody could tell what his politics were because he ripped both parties. In fact, he was a liberal, but seemed to take special delight in slamming Jimmy Carter.
Likewise, Jay Leno was a liberal, but even in his regular standup routines before he took over as Tonight Show host he rarely delved into politics.
I think Jimmy Fallon is the only late night host now who doesn't try to be obnoxiously political.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The demo for late night tv are liberals. Out of work liberals, and liberal insomniacs.  Working class folk are in bed or partaking in some he'n and she'n.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Comedy can be funny. Politics never is, except to partisans, who laugh not because it's funny but because it validates their preconceptions or prejudices.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

Johnny Carson used to brag that nobody could tell what his politics were because he ripped both parties. In fact, he was a liberal, but seemed to take special delight in slamming Jimmy Carter.
Likewise, Jay Leno was a liberal, but even in his regular standup routines before he took over as Tonight Show host he rarely delved into politics.
I think Jimmy Fallon is the only late night host now who doesn't try to be obnoxiously political.

I used to love watching the Mark Russell specials on PBS, because he was pretty even-handed.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Who cares if Carson or Leno were liberal?

They were genuinely funny, and it was mostly in good taste.

I think back then the networks, the advertisers knew that conservatives were consumers, too.

That insight seems to be in the past.

A good measurement coming up is the new series of "All in the Family." Stars Woodie Harrelson, as Archie Bunker.

How they pull it off, should guide me as to whether Big Entertainment even wants my business.

Has Trump been asked to guest host SNL yet?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Unfortunately, he also has never been particularly funny, either: a genial MC, yes, but not funny.

About four years ago I wrote a story about David Letterman when he retired from CBS. The comedy well ran dry for him in the late 1990s and so, other than a few Old Reliable bits, he went political. It ruined the show. That last episode of him, sitting there, realizing he was long washed up... it was something truly sad to see.

The Atlantic article HotAir is talking about, I looked it up, and they think we're too fragmented of a society to find anything funny anymore. I disagree. The problem is, too many of the comics out there are making jokes about things their audiences are tired of or never cared about. There's very little funny about the Mueller report. Just because it's news doesn't make it comedy material, even if it is Donald Trump.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

Unfortunately, he also has never been particularly funny, either: a genial MC, yes, but not funny.

About four years ago I wrote a story about David Letterman when he retired from CBS. The comedy well ran dry for him in the late 1990s and so, other than a few Old Reliable bits, he went political. It ruined the show. That last episode of him, sitting there, realizing he was long washed up... it was something truly sad to see.

The Atlantic article HotAir is talking about, I looked it up, and they think we're too fragmented of a society to find anything funny anymore. I disagree. The problem is, too many of the comics out there are making jokes about things their audiences are tired of or never cared about. There's very little funny about the Mueller report. Just because it's news doesn't make it comedy material, even if it is Donald Trump.
There's plenty of things today that are funny, but few people who can make the material into an actual funny routine.
A while back I was watching some routines by Norm MacDonald on YouTube. I was laughing so hysterically,  my wife thought I was having a fit. Nothing MacDonald said in his routines was remotely political.
Some comedians have it, and some don't.
One big problem I have is so many comedians today are foul-mouthed. Bill Burr does some funny stuff, but he can't go two sentences without using the f word.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:18:01 pm by goatprairie »

Offline EasyAce

Comedy can be funny. Politics never is, except to partisans . . .
@andy58-in-nh
I guess someone didn't send the memo to Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, Will Rogers, Allen's Alley, Mort Sahl, or P.J. O'Rourke.  wink777

Sahl was an intriguing case---when he zapped the Eisenhower administration in the late 1950s he was a comic darling; when he zapped Camelot, the New Frontier, and Lyndon Johnson and company with equal aplomb, he became poison. (Even though he'd warned people about the 1960 election: "Whoever the President is, I will attack him." Guess they were thrown when Sahl turned out to be a man of his word!)

Though if you were to ask me who my favourite comedians of Sahl's day were (and still are), I'd have to give equal time to Shelley Berman and Bob Newhart . . . (And Berman got a nasty bum rap himself: when he flipped after an actual telephone rang during a 1963 performance---Berman was famous for routines involving one-sided telephone conversations, as Newhart was; it's even money who thought of it first---it wrecked his standup career . . . because NBC was following him around for a documentary but the documentary producers made it look like Berman was always that temperamental.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:52:48 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

One big problem I have is so many comedians today are foul-mouthed. Bill Burr does some funny stuff, but he can't go two sentences without using the f word.
@goatprairie
There's probably a very funny routine yet to be written about that, actually. (I think someone---I forget whom---already said there was an awful lot of [four-letter euphemism for fornicat]ing on stage when nobody in the whole place was even having sex!)

Maybe someone could parody such comedians as Burr with a bit that has every known verbal euphemism for bleeping out a word in semi-rapid succession, maybe every third word.

Offline dfwgator

Chris Rock used to be hilarious,  then he got the PC Bug when he wanted to start getting gigs doing voices for kids movies.

Offline andy58-in-nh

@andy58-in-nh
I guess someone didn't send the memo to Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, Will Rogers, Allen's Alley, Mort Sahl, or P.J. O'Rourke.  wink777

Sahl was an intriguing case---when he zapped the Eisenhower administration in the late 1950s he was a comic darling; when he zapped Camelot, the New Frontier, and Lyndon Johnson and company with equal aplomb, he became poison. (Even though he'd warned people about the 1960 election: "Whoever the President is, I will attack him." Guess they were thrown when Sahl turned out to be a man of his word!)

Though if you were to ask me who my favourite comedians of Sahl's day were (and still are), I'd have to give equal time to Shelley Berman and Bob Newhart . . . (And Berman got a nasty bum rap himself: when he flipped after an actual telephone rang during a 1963 performance---Berman was famous for routines involving one-sided telephone conversations, as Newhart was; it's even money who thought of it first---it wrecked his standup career . . . because NBC was following him around for a documentary but the documentary producers made it look like Berman was always that temperamental.)

@EasyAce

Well, there are and have been humorists, whose ruminations often include political fodder and who are still genuinely funny people. I would certainly include those such as H.L. Mencken, Mort Sahl, P.J. O'Rourke, etc. The reason is that their common practice is humor, as opposed to mere stand-up comedy.

Humor involves a far wider scope of human experience, which in turn requires a broader, more universal perspective.  But even stand-up comedians can offer nuggets of wisdom along with their wisecracks, as long as they reflect on the human condition as opposed to simply making fun of people they have reason to believe their audience (also) hates. 

Gratuitous nastiness (Samantha Bee) ain't funny. But someone like George Carlin, who frequently included political commentary in his act, was just as frequently hysterically funny because his observations touched on things that his listeners easily recognized as being essential truths about others, as well as about themselves.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:57:58 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Actually I have found watching old Carson reruns that while true Republicans held the presidency more years he was actually a lot harder on the Republicans, and you could tell he totally misjudged his audience by the groans and/or silence to to the cuts he obviously thought funny. This was especially true during the Reagan years.

Offline dfwgator

Actually I have found watching old Carson reruns that while true Republicans held the presidency more years he was actually a lot harder on the Republicans, and you could tell he totally misjudged his audience by the groans and/or silence to to the cuts he obviously thought funny. This was especially true during the Reagan years.

Carson actually did a pretty good Reagan imitation....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Carson actually did a pretty good Reagan imitation....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
He did, and a good number of his skits and jokes were funny, but when he let his political leanings choose harsh and even mean jokes anout Ronald and Nancy it blew up in his face. He really should have known better because before the 80' election he would pole his audiences with a sound meter and Reagan always blew the others away, and he really stayed very popular all through his Presidency.

Online berdie

The late comedians just aren't funny.  I think it started with Letterman.

I used to watch Kimmel.  He was funny.  No longer.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Letterman is a putz.  A washed up putz. But still a putz.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

Kimmel hasn't been funny since "The Man Show"

Online berdie

Kimmel hasn't been funny since "The Man Show"

Never watched the "Man Show".  I'll take your word for it. happy77