Author Topic: In Light of AG Decision, Another Look at Claim that Immigrant Families Show Up for Court  (Read 247 times)

rangerrebew

In Light of AG Decision, Another Look at Claim that Immigrant Families Show Up for Court
An analysis whose conclusions led the data, rather than the reverse

By Dan Cadman on April 23, 2019

I have been again perusing a report issued by the American Immigration Council (AIC), "Detaining Families: A Study of Asylum Adjudication in Family Detention". Although issued in August 2018, it's been on my mind in light of the recent attorney general (AG) decision in Matter of M-S-, a case the prior AG certified to himself, but which was ultimately decided by present AG William Barr. Both the AIC report and the certification decision have to do with releasing alien families from detention during the pendency of their immigration proceedings.

The August report from AIC (an arm of the immigration lawyers' lobby) says that when released, alien family units are a good bet to show up in immigration court, even though this finding is contrary to statistics gathered by the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), which is the official U.S. government office that controls and oversees those courts. Two colleagues and I examined some of the report's problems shortly after its release, but since it continues to be cited by reporters and lobbyists, it seems worth another look in the wake of the AG's detention decision.

https://cis.org/Cadman/Light-AG-Decision-Another-Look-Claim-Immigrant-Families-Show-Court