Author Topic: White House readies Mueller War II: Executive Privilege Boogaloo; Update: “We’re fighting all the su  (Read 839 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
War II: Executive Privilege Boogaloo; Update: “We’re fighting all the subpoenas”

Ed MorrisseyPosted at 12:01 pm on April 24, 2019

Now that Congress has decided to take the gloves off, Donald Trump and the White House may too. Faced with new subpoenas covering the same ground as Robert Mueller’s investigation, Trump told the Washington Post last night that he will likely use a new tactic to prevent any further cooperation on obstruction investigations — executive privilege claims:

President Trump on Tuesday said he is opposed to current and former White House aides providing testimony to congressional panels in the wake of the special counsel report, intensifying a power struggle between his administration and House Democrats.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Trump said that complying with congressional requests was unnecessary after the White House cooperated with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe of Russian interference and the president’s own conduct in office.

“There is no reason to go any further, and especially in Congress where it’s very partisan — obviously very partisan,” Trump said.

Trump’s comments came as the White House made it clear that it plans to broadly defy requests for information from Capitol Hill, moving the two branches of government closer to a constitutional collision.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/2019/04/24/white-house-readies-mueller-war-ii-executive-privilege-boogaloo/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This would not be a good look....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This would not be a good look....
If you mean for President Trump I agree.  I think it looks much better to say "We will attempt to provide answers and cooperate with Congress in every way possible," and then stall and obstruct.

However what I like didn't get elected in 2016, so perhaps the open defiance solidifies his support with the base.  After all they are the enemy.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
If you mean for President Trump I agree.  I think it looks much better to say "We will attempt to provide answers and cooperate with Congress in every way possible," and then stall and obstruct.

However what I like didn't get elected in 2016, so perhaps the open defiance solidifies his support with the base.  After all they are the enemy.

Except the base won't get Trump re-elected.   Biden's already polling ahead of him.   As the WSJ said yesterday:

Mr. Trump's character will be his main re-election vulnerability.   On policy he should be a favorite based on the economy and the Democratic Party's sharp left turn.   But voters will balance that against Mr. Trump's personal behavior and whether they want to spend four more years in the Trump maelstrom. 

The Dems, of course, are salivating to make 2020 a referendum on Trump and his casual dishonesty.  And Trump is playing into their hands. 

James Carville famously said, "It's the economy, stupid!"    Who knew he was talking to Trump, and that Trump wasn't listening?

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Except the base won't get Trump re-elected.   Biden's already polling ahead of him.   As the WSJ said yesterday:

The Dems, of course, are salivating to make 2020 a referendum on Trump and his casual dishonesty.  And Trump is playing into their hands. 

James Carville famously said, "It's the economy, stupid!"    Who knew he was talking to Trump, and that Trump wasn't listening?
@Jazzhead
I don't disagree.  Biden does not worry or aggravate me nearly as much as President Trump.  I don't think I would vote for him, but I might not lose any sleep over his victory.  At this point I think almost any rat could beat Trump, but the elections are not tomorrow.

Thanx for your response. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
I don't disagree.  Biden does not worry or aggravate me nearly as much as President Trump.  I don't think I would vote for him, but I might not lose any sleep over his victory.  At this point I think almost any rat could beat Trump, but the elections are not tomorrow.

Thanx for your response.

@Once-Ler

I share your view that,  as things now stand,  Trump is not going to be re-elected.   The only question is whether he will replaced by someone like Biden or someone like Sanders. 

I do not think of myself as a Never-Trumper.   I applaud many of his policy successes.   But he's an unnerving and self-centered combination of chaos and casual dishonesty.    It is not the sort of thing that folks will sign up for again.    I consider him enough of a patriot that I believe - especially since he had now been vindicated of the Russian thing and continues to preside over a booming economy -  that he has largely accomplished what he set out to do and it is time for this citizen-patriot to pass the baton to a new leader and retire to his family and businesses.   I think the GOP's best path is to convince him of the wisdom of stepping down to ensure the continuation of his legacy and his priorities.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

@Once-Ler

I share your view that,  as things now stand,  Trump is not going to be re-elected.   The only question is whether he will replaced by someone like Biden or someone like Sanders. 

I do not think of myself as a Never-Trumper.   I applaud many of his policy successes.   But he's an unnerving and self-centered combination of chaos and casual dishonesty.    It is not the sort of thing that folks will sign up for again.    I consider him enough of a patriot that I believe - especially since he had now been vindicated of the Russian thing and continues to preside over a booming economy -  that he has largely accomplished what he set out to do and it is time for this citizen-patriot to pass the baton to a new leader and retire to his family and businesses.   I think the GOP's best path is to convince him of the wisdom of stepping down to ensure the continuation of his legacy and his priorities.   

Couldn’t disagree more. You two, @Jazzhead  @Once-Ler didn’t think he’d be elected, now you think he won’t be re-elected? Did you read the latest GDP report?  You were wrong before—you’re wrong now.

Look, a president’s two biggest hurdle’s for re-election are peace and prosperity. On both fronts Trump is re-elected. All this angst over presidential behavior is clearly overblown. He’s been president two and a half years and his performance in office has collapsed all the liberal economists’ predictions of Wall Street crash and nuclear Armageddon.

So, virtue signaling aside, the president is re-elected.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm waiting for Cankles McCankleface to throw her back brace and colostomy bag into the ring.  Biden won't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his ass or call for a clean up on isle 2.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Couldn’t disagree more. You two, @Jazzhead  @Once-Ler didn’t think he’d be elected, now you think he won’t be re-elected? Did you read the latest GDP report?  You were wrong before—you’re wrong now.
noted.
Look, a president’s two biggest hurdle’s for re-election are peace and prosperity. On both fronts Trump is re-elected. All this angst over presidential behavior is clearly overblown. He’s been president two and a half years and his performance in office has collapsed all the liberal economists’ predictions of Wall Street crash and nuclear Armageddon.

That's a pretty good argument.  Back when I thought politics was guided by intellectually sound ideology (before President Trump) I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. However, prosperity did not re-elect WI Governor Walker last fall.  It may be that voters didn't credit him with Wisconsin's good economy or they didn't value the economy more than what they perceived as his negatives...things like antagonizing the left and busting the public service unions.  I, personally like both those things, but I understand why some voters didn't.

Additionally I agree the economy is marginally better than when Trump got elected...

but I don't know that a majority of voters is gonna say it is so good they are willing put up with 4 more years of President Trump's antics.  It's just my opinion and as an American I have the right to have an opinion based on the values I hold as virtues.

So, virtue signaling aside, the president is re-elected.
Thanx for sharing your prognostication.

@Once-Ler
@Jazzhead
I do consider myself a Never-Trumper, but I too applaud some of President Trump's successes.  Like today when President Trump rejected the UN arms trade treaty.  It was a good thing to do, but for me, and a majority of voters judging from the polls, his negatives outweigh his positives.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@Jazzhead
I do consider myself a Never-Trumper, but I too applaud some of President Trump's successes.  Like today when President Trump rejected the UN arms trade treaty.  It was a good thing to do, but for me, and a majority of voters judging from the polls, his negatives outweigh his positives.

Hey Once.   Heading home to Verona this June    Want to try for it again?

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Start an investigation into 0/Creepy/HRC colluding to influence the 2016 election.

When Congress tries to call witnesses, scream "obstruction!"
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.