Author Topic: Armenians Mark 104 Years Since Ottoman-Era Killings  (Read 429 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Armenians Mark 104 Years Since Ottoman-Era Killings
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:56 pm »
Armenians Mark 104 Years Since Ottoman-Era Killings

People walk to the Tsitsernakabert memorial in Yerevan on April 24 during an annual commemoration of the 1915 mass killings of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey.

Commemoration ceremonies are being held in Armenia on April 24 to mark the massacre of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire 104 years ago.

In Yerevan, hundreds of thousands of people marched to the Tsitsernakaberd hilltop memorial to lay flowers at the eternal flame that commemorates victims of what Armenia describes as genocide.

Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian with his wife, other officials, and politicians were among the visitors to the memorial on April 24.

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/armenians-mark-104-years-since-ottoman-era-killings/29900966.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Armenians Mark 104 Years Since Ottoman-Era Killings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:21:16 pm »
France Holds First 'Armenia Genocide' Remembrance Day

PARIS —

France held its first "national day of commemoration of the Armenian genocide" on Wednesday, provoking an angry reaction from Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Troops from the Ottoman Empire — which preceded modern-day Turkey — were responsible for massacres and forced deportations of Armenians from 1915, but Turkey has always denied that the killings amounted to genocide.

France was the first major European country to recognize the massacres as genocide in 2001 and Macron announced the national day of remembrance in February this year, saying that his country "knows how to look history in the face."

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/france-holds-first-armenia-genocide-remembrance-day/4889600.html

https://www.france24.com/en/20190424-france-national-commemoration-armenian-genocide

Whatever one says about France, they seem to express themselves frequently in protests.  And for freedom of speech, that's great.

For America, I once saw an exhibit of all of these posters from that time calling for charitable donations to help out our Christian brothers and sisters in that area of the world. I don't know the whole story and if they were persecuted in places other than Turkey.  And for that, we should be proud! Great works of art as well.

Most of these posters speak of the "Near East", it seems to be referring to a refugee situation, maybe they were going to Greece and places like that and needed help. Iran too, probably took the refugees in. I don't always see Iran as a bogeyman but who knows.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:38:59 pm by TomSea »

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Re: Armenians Mark 104 Years Since Ottoman-Era Killings
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 05:32:33 pm »
The Armenian genocide has always resonated with me. Probably because most have never heard of it, and the details are horrifying. God bless the Armenian people.
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords